– The extent of the changes being made to the nose. Minimal changes will generally take 1 to 1.5 hours. If there are more extensive changes taking place, then the surgery could last up to 3 to 4 hours.
– The method of rhinoplasty being performed. There are 2 types of procedures when it comes to rhinoplasty. One is open and the other is closed. While both require cutting inside the nose, open surgery requires an extra cut on the outside where the nostrils join together.
– The amount of grafting that needs to be done. If you are lengthening your nose or making it wider, you will probably need to have cartilage grafted in. The cartilage is taken from the nose, ears, or in some cases, a rib. This will add to the amount of time that the surgery will take.
– Procedures to address issues with breathing. If you have breathing issues that need to be addressed, the surgery can take longer than rhinoplasties dealing strictly with aesthetics. There are 4 types of rhinoplasty that can help correct breathing difficulties: nasal septoplasty straightens a deviated septum; turbinate reduction reduces the mucous membrane-covered “shelves” of bone that are usually a source of allergy irritation; polyp removal; and nasal valve collapse.
– The amount of time that the procedure takes also depends on the surgeon who is performing the procedure and how he or she operates, how efficient or what type of rhythm he or she has, whether he or she has a good team of nurses, anesthesiologist, etc. The team must work together well to do the job professionally, safely, and quickly.
Open or closed are the two types of surgery for re-styling the nasal tip. With open rhinoplasty, there is an incision along the soft tissue between the nostrils, and with closed rhinoplasty, all of the incisions are made inside the nostrils.
When dealing with just the tip of the nose, the time you will be in surgery is about an hour to just over an hour. This can generally be done as an outpatient same-day surgery.
How long your rhinoplasty surgery will take also depends on the anesthesia that is used. Obviously, if a local is used, it won’t take as long because you will be awake. If you are put under anesthesia, then it will take slightly longer because you will have to be monitored until you awaken from the anesthesia.
While the amount of time to perform a rhinoplasty varies from patient to patient, most patients find the results to be well worth it. If you are considering having nose surgery, the process starts with a consultation in which you and your surgeon discuss your desired results and create an action plan together.
Regardless of whether you require a simply rhinoplasty, which takes only 1 hour, or a more extensive one that requires several hours, collaboration with your surgeon can help you achieve the nose you’ve always wanted.