Patients who request a facelift with Dr. Torgerson have typically begun to see signs associated with ageing like wrinkles, jowls, and facial hollows. For men and women, advancing years cause the tissue to lose elasticity and produce less natural collagen. The once firm, plump volume of cheek fat pads and hydrated skin can thin and diminish.
Even your facial bones may shrink in places. Loose skin around the mouth, neck, and brow are common motivation for Dr. Torgerson’s facelift patients to take that step toward restoration. Despite the common perception that only “older” people have facelifts, Dr. Torgerson’s clients span age groups and demographics. Genetics, lifestyle, and weight fluctuations may cause some people to contend with these problem areas sooner than others. Luckily, today’s advanced facelift surgery techniques are versatile and entirely customizable. Whatever your needs and goals, a personalized approach to facial rejuvenation can deliver just what you need and nothing you don’t. Today’s facial lifting methods ensure subtle, natural results and are designed to last. Keep reading to find out Dr. Torgerson’s facelift essentials for a smooth complexion and a smooth recovery.
Dr. Cory Torgerson is one of Toronto’s most prominent facial plastic surgeons. With dedication to head and neck procedures, he’s developed innovative methods and an exceptional degree of skill using both surgical and non-surgical interventions. He’s often invited to teach and lecture across North America. With his own state-of-the-art surgical centre in downtown Toronto, Dr. Torgerson is pleased to be at the forefront of cosmetic medicine, which includes performing facelifts regularly.
What types of facelift does Dr. Torgerson perform?
The term “facelift” may cover both surgical and non-surgical procedures, depending on who you talk to. For people who see the early signs of ageing or who wish to try something temporary before they commit to a permanent procedure, Dr. Torgerson offers dermal fillers, wrinkle injections, and laser and ultrasound skin lifting with Ultherapy. With a proven selection of non-invasive options to work with, Dr. Torgerson’s facelift clients have a range of choices and the option to create a comprehensive plan. A popular treatment choice involving injectable neuromodulators and hyaluronic acid dermal fillers can dramatically re-volumize and smooth the face. This combination injectable treatment is often referred to as a “liquid facelift”. Each person’s treatment is tailored to their needs, and the results last from several months up to 1 year.
Typically, non-surgical facelifts are appropriate for people whose skin is just beginning to show signs of ageing. The recovery time for non-invasive or injectable treatment is measured in hours and days versus weeks and months. In most cases, you can have a procedure completed on your lunch break and get back to your desk almost immediately with minimal discomfort, if any. Some laser treatments and deep chemical peels require a few days off for expected redness. For the budget-conscious patient, these treatments represent less expensive alternatives to surgery and allow the surgeon to create a long-term treatment plan that adjusts with them when the time comes.
A surgical facelift with Dr. Torgerson is much more involved than a non-surgical facelift, as it can address everything from the brow, cheeks, and eyes to the neck and jawline. Within the realm of facelift surgery, there are numerous technical approaches.
A mini-lift is popular among patients who are experiencing a little sagging of the skin at the lower face and jawline. Because it is less invasive and targets only specific problem areas, it’s also less expensive. The recovery time for a mini facelift with Dr. Torgerson can be faster and will produce fewer, shorter scars than extensive, full facelift surgery.
For people who have more severe signs of ageing that span the jaw, mouth, and cheek area, a full facelift is often the way to go. Deep plane facelift or SMAS (superficial musculo-aponeurotic system) techniques describe the tightening and repositioning of multiple deep layers of facial tissue. These include muscle, fascia, and fat. Once these are meticulously adjusted and reinforced, the skin can be gently redraped in place and sutured with discrete incisions. The overlying skin should never appear tight, no matter how extensive a facelift procedure was. Even the most dramatic anti-ageing effects should look smooth, soft, and natural. Focusing attention on adjusting the underling support layers of the face means less distortion or pulled-looking facelift results. Skin repeatedly stretches over time, but the longevity of a deep plane facelift last for decades.
You can have a facelift-makeover
In fact, some patients opt to have other procedures completed at the same time, including a blepharoplasty (eyelift) or a brow lift. If you’re able to safely combine more than one facial procedure, you’ll pay a one-time anaesthesia and facility fee, plus you’ll need only one block of time off to heal. Many busy people prefer this combination approach for these convenient reasons. If you’re suitable for a full facelift combined with additional procedures, your facial plastic surgeon will let you know during your consultation.
What should I know about the recovery stages of a facelift with Dr. Torgerson?
While the techniques and artistry play a large part in garnering satisfying outcomes, the patient also plays a vital role in ensuring their smooth recovery. Dr. Torgerson’s facelift success depends somewhat on the patient’s willingness and commitment to following his instructions, both before and after surgery.
In some instances, there are habits that your surgeon may suggest that you change. They’ll also advise you to plan ahead, so you have a stress-free and safe recovery. The following tips are commonly recommended post-facelift by Dr. Torgerson:
- If you’re a smoker, it’s advised that you stop at least 2 weeks before surgery. Smoking affects the healthy blood flow that is necessary for the surgical site to heal.
- Eating foods rich in protein and natural vitamin sources can have a positive effect when it comes to creating and maintaining healthy skin. Foods and supplements rich in vitamins A, C, and E as well as dietary protein have been known to help body tissue regenerate quickly following a facelift.
- An aspect of recovery that’s frequently overlooked is having adequate support when returning home following a facelift with Dr. Torgerson. Generally, the recovery period after a full facelift lasts between 2 and 3 weeks. In the hours immediately following the surgery, there must be someone to accompany you home and help with basic care and errands. Within 24 hours, a return trip to the clinic is required to have any drainage tubes and dressings removed.
- There will be a period of approximately 10 to 14 days when you’re advised to curtail some regular activities. These include working out, swimming, and regular face-washing. You won’t be allowed to bend over or lift anything substantial for a few weeks either. During the first week, you’ll experience swelling, discoloration, and some mild to moderate discomfort.
- You’ll be most comfortable and heal quicker if you elevate the head of your bed before your facelift surgery. Lift up the mattress or stack firm cushions to support your head and shoulders. Lying flat allows gravity to pull more fluid (and pressure) into the facial area while sleeping.
- Avoid sun exposure by wearing a broad-brimmed hat and shades or staying in the shade. Sun exposure on inflamed skin or incisions can lead to permanent discoloration. Protecting your skin after facial surgery will also help protect a youthful, hydrated, and wrinkle-free complexion.
There are other patient-specific guidelines and restrictions that patients may receive before their facelift. Dr. Torgerson’s facelift clients are given his personal cell number to reach him directly with any concerns or questions after hours following surgery. Dr. Torgerson recommends that patients reach out, share any apprehensions, and attend all their post-operative appointments. Follow-up care after your facial cosmetic surgery is just as important as choosing an excellent surgeon. You’ll need reassurance that you’re on track, reminders about the stages of recovery, and professional assessment to ensure that no issue goes overlooked.
One of the best tips for a smooth and satisfying recovery is to plan for patience. While you’ll see dramatic improvements after the first 2 weeks, residual swelling and colouring in scars can last many months. Eventually, the scars fade to be thin, light, and discreet. Any remaining numbness or puffiness in the face will fade too over time. Your full recovery may take many months, but the results will keep you looking great for decades to come.
Schedule a Consultation
Dr. Torgerson will be pleased to share his expert feedback and encouragement with you. Each client’s goals and needs are taken into account as plans unique facelift procedures. You could begin your complete refresh today. Get started in the right direction when you call or write us for your consultation with Dr. Torgerson.