Using Laser Treatments to Relieve Vaginal Dryness
Although it is not usually discussed openly, vaginal atrophy is a common concern for a large number of women and can cause extreme discomfort
Vaginal atrophy, which is categorized by dryness and irritation in the vaginal area, is a result of declining estrogen levels. Most frequently, post-menopausal women develop problems in this area, though pre- and peri-menopausal women can also undergo hormonal shifts that affect vaginal health and well-being. In addition to causing irritation, symptoms can make intercourse extremely painful and may also result in urinary symptoms such as incontinence or frequent urinary tract infections. Thankfully, one of the many gynaecology treatment options available is a non-surgical, laser treatment that is proven to be very effective in relieving vaginal atrophy issues.
How laser treatments work
Prior to this safe, quick procedure, a numbing cream will be applied to the vaginal opening to ensure complete comfort. The laser makes microscopic thermal injuries in the vaginal lining, which stimulate the development of collagen and elastin production and increase tissue circulation. As a result, the vaginal wall is thickened with healthier tissues. In stimulating the regeneration of collagen, this treatment restores vaginal elasticity and moisture and improves glycogen levels, which are crucial for lactobacilli, healthy bacteria, to thrive. The best part is that there is no downtime, and most women describe the process as pain-free.
Laser treatments can provide welcome relief to women who suffer from vaginal atrophy caused by menopause, breast cancer, and ovarian cancer as well for people who do not wish to take estrogen. For women who experience pain during intercourse, this treatment can drastically improve their quality of life physically and mentally. In addition, it can be an effective treatment for lichen sclerosis, which causes the vulvar skin to become thin and irritated. Women who suffer from urinary incontinence or urinary tract infections can also experience relief from laser treatments.
Although this is a relatively new treatment method, clinical studies support its efficacy. In fact, a recent study indicated that 84% of participants experienced a significant reduction in symptoms. In as little as one treatment, many women who previously avoided sexual intercourse due to the pain associated with it are able to comfortably reconnect physically with their partners.
If you are troubled by vaginal dryness or experience pain during sex, burning during urination, or frequent urinary tract infections, you are not alone, and you may be an excellent candidate for laser vaginal treatment. Although the aforementioned symptoms are most common in menopausal women, they are also often experienced by younger women, particularly those who are undergoing breast cancer treatment. Drug-free, non-surgical laser treatments are not contraindicated in combination with other therapies.
While there are a number of topical creams, lubricants, and moisturizers that claim to relieve vaginal dryness, one of the most effective treatments for vaginal atrophy is right here in Toronto at Dr. Cory Torgerson’s Facial Plastic Surgery & Laser Centre. We are proud to offer the advanced Fotona Smooth Mode erbium laser for the treatment of vaginal dryness and a number of other vaginal rejuvenation procedures. This innovative technology delivers unparalleled results in a gentle yet efficient manner. To learn more about this laser procedure or any other gynaecology treatments available, please contact our clinic to schedule a consultation with our certified FPMRS (Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgeon/Urogynecologist)
The First Step Of Your Journey Begins With A Conversation
We'll Get Back to You Within 1 Business Day.
- Are You A Candidate for Laser Vaginal Rejuvenation?
- Choosing the Right Practitioner for Your Vaginal Rejuvenation Treatment
- Do Vaginal Laser Treatments Hurt?
- Have You Tried the New Non-Surgical Laser Solution for Treating Stress Urinary Incontinence?
- How Are the Most Popular Laser Vaginal Rejuvenation Treatments Different from One Another?
- How Menopause Affects the Female Body
- Incontinence Treatment Using Fotona Laser Technology
- Laser Vaginal Rejuvenation: What Is It and How Does it Work?
- Reasons to Consider Vaginal Rejuvenation Therapy
- Surgical and Non-Surgical Options for Your Vaginal Rejuvenation Treatment
- The Effects of Vaginal Childbirth
- Treatment Options for Stress Urinary Incontinence
- Using Laser Treatments for Vaginal Tightening Without Surgery
- Using Laser Treatments To Relieve Vaginal Dryness
- Vaginal Dryness: Symptoms, Causes, and Remedies
- Vaginal Rejuvenation With Laser and Without Laser
- What Are the Benefits of the Fotona Laser in Gynecology?
- What’s the Difference Between the IntimaLase Procedure and the IncontiLase Procedure?
- Who Are Ideal Candidates for Laser Vaginal Rejuvenation Treatments?