Hyaluronidase breaks down and helps the body reabsorb hyaluronic acid filler that was injected into the body
Hyaluronidase works by increasing the permeability of tissues, breaking the molecular bonds within the hyaluronic acid, and promoting cellular processes to diffuse the product.
Dermal fillers are made of hyaluronic acid
What Is Hyaluronidase?
Hyaluronic acid is a naturally existing substance found in the body that is injected to hydrate the skin and restore volume. It can last from a few months up to a year. The different hyaluronic acid fillers include Juvéderm, Teosyal, and Restylane. However, hyaluronidase is a substance that can be injected to reverse such treatments if the patient is not happy with the results or if the patient has had a reaction to the filler.
Did You Know?
Hyaluronidase’s unique ability to dissolve chemical agents makes it an effective and ideal additive for local anesthetics. This is because hyaluronidase allows an injected solution to spread throughout the region, penetrate tissue, and even speed up onset.
How Does It Work?
Hyaluronidase treatment is typically suggested to patients who have previously had injections of hyaluronic acid and are looking to change or reverse the results. When an enzyme solution of hyaluronidase is injected underneath the skin of an area that has had previous hyaluronic acid fillers, it can catalyze the body’s ability to break down and reabsorb the filler product. This aims to break down the hyaluronic acid collections from previous injections. Overall, the hyaluronidase does the exact opposite of the filler, as if the filler were never there.
The effectiveness of hyaluronidase
Benefits Of Dermal Fillers
This is one of the benefits of dermal fillers, as the procedures can be easily reversed with this dissolving process. This allows cosmetic surgeons to have the ability to quickly correct injections and ensure patients safety. Before the use of hyaluronidase as a reversal treatment, any errors with hyaluronic acid injections required that patients had to wait for the body to naturally reabsorb the filler over a period of several months. Many studies have been done about the effectiveness of hyaluronidase as a catalyst in the body’s reabsorption and dissolving of hyaluronic acid, concluding that “the use of hyaluronidase reduced patient discomfort within 24 to 48 hours, deterring any patient anxiety or patient dissatisfaction.”
In a study published by the Journal Watch Dermatology in 2005, evidence of hyaluronidase’s ability to break down hyaluronic acid in dermal filler patients was recorded. The study saw a group of 12 volunteers who were injected with 0.2 mL of hyaluronic acid dermal filler in two separate areas of the arm, about 10 cm apart. A few days after they were injected, the test subjects were brought back to be injected with hyaluronidase and saline solution. Hyaluronidase was injected on one dermal filler site, while saline solution was injected on the other. Four to seven days after the hyaluronidase solution injection, 80% of the hyaluronic acid gel had disappeared, while 90% of the hyaluronic acid gel injected with the saline solution had remained.
The First Step Of Your Journey Begins With A Conversation
We'll Get Back to You Within 1 Business Day.
- 10 Things You Are Going To Wish You Knew Before Getting Lip Fillers In Toronto
- 4 Of The Most Common Myths About Dermal Fillers In Toronto
- 5 Surprising Facts about Dermal Fillers
- About V2 Microneedling Beauty Booster Treatments with Redensity [l]
- Benefits of Injectable Fillers
- Best Injectable Fillers in Canada
- Best Lip Filler Treatment
- Botox, Fillers, And Other Cosmetic Procedures For Skin Rejuvenation
- Can Laser Resurfacing And Wrinkle Fillers Be Combined?
- Choosing The Right Type Of Dermal Filler
- Dermal Filler for Contouring the Face
- Dermal Filler For Nasolabial Folds And Smile Lines
- Dermal Fillers And Jawline Contouring
- Dermal Fillers: A Secret Skin-Rejuvenation Weapon
- Dermal Fillers: Your Top 10 Questions About This Popular Anti-Aging Trend
- Do I Need A Facelift, Skin Tightening, Or Fillers?
- Enhance Your Beauty by Preserving Facial Dynamism: Using Teosyal for Facial Rejuvenation
- Everything You Need To Know About Non-Surgical Rhinoplasty (Nose Job)
- Face the Facts – Top 5 Dermal Filler Facts
- Facial Fillers in Your 20s, 30s, 40s, and Up
- Facial Fillers: Frequently Asked Questions
- Facial Fillers: Know The Difference
- Fillers For Acne Scars: 10 Essential Facts To Understand
- How Can Dermal Filler in Toronto Make You Look Youthful and Vibrant?
- Juvederm Toronto - Dermal Filler By Dr. Torgerson
- Lip Filler/Augmentation Techniques
- Lip Injections: Rise In Popularity
- Maintaining Your Facial Expressiveness Using the New Teosyal RHA Filler
- Perlane Toronto - By Dr. Torgerson
- Popular Cosmetic Procedures For Men
- Potential Side Effects of Teosyal Dermal Fillers
- PRP Treatments Toronto
- Radiesse Toronto - By Dr. Torgerson
- Reasons People Choose Dermal Filler
- Restylane Toronto - By Dr. Torgerson
- Rich Face
- Risks Associated with Injectable Fillers
- Seven Myths about Lip Filler in Toronto
- Skin Rejuvenation With Dermal Fillers: Do’s And Don’ts
- Teosyal – What Is It and How Does It Work?
- Teosyal Pen
- Teosyal Redensity I
- Teosyal Redensity I Toronto - By Dr. Torgerson
- Teosyal Redensity II
- Teosyal RHA
- Teosyal RHA Dynamic Fillers
- Teosyal Ultimate
- Teosyal Ultra Deep
- Teosyal Versus Juvéderm And Restylane
- Teoxane Cosmeceuticals
- The Best Dermal Filler in Toronto : What’s Right For You?
- The Best Ways To Treat Vertical Lines (Smoker Lines) Around the Mouth
- The Lip Filler Phenomenon
- The Most Common & Uncommon Uses of Dermal Fillers in Toronto
- Things to Know If You’re Considering Dermal Fillers
- Tips For Reducing Swelling & Bruising After Dermal Filler Procedure
- Top Health And Beauty Trends Of 2017
- Toronto Dermal Filler: How Is It Different from Botox?
- Toronto Lip Filler: A Definitive Guide
- Toronto Lip Filler: Why the Look Went from Puffy to Perfect
- Types of Dermal Fillers
- Types of Injectable Fillers
- Using Injectable Fillers To Rejuvenate Skin Non-Surgically
- V2 Microneedling Beauty Booster
- Volbella - Lip Filler By Dr. Torgerson
- Voluma Lift - By Dr. Torgerson
- What are Perfect Lips?
- What Are Teosyal Fillers?
- What is a Liquid Facelift?
- What Is Teosyal Kiss?
- What Is the Best Injectable Filler for Under Eye Hollows?
- What It's Really Like To Get Lip Injections For The First Time
- What to Do After Lip Injections
- What’s Best For Crow's Feet And Facial Lines?
- Which Dermal Fillers Are Best For The Cheeks?
- Which Dermal Fillers Work Best?
- Why Choose Teosyal?
- Why Different Fillers For Different Areas On The Face?
- Wrinkle Treatment
- Wrinkles and Fillers: Collagen And Other Types
State-Of-The-Art Surgical Facility
Our facility offers a luxurious, comfortable and private setting for consultations and surgery with a waiting room that is both spacious and inviting. Although we hope you don’t have to spend too much time waiting to see Dr. Torgerson, within a few minutes you will feel relaxed and at ease.