Tips For Reducing Swelling & Bruising After Dermal Filler Procedure
One of the main advantages of a dermal filler injection procedure is that it does not require a lot of downtime for healing and recovery. However, by knowing what to expect, preparing, and taking the proper precautions before, during, and after the treatment, the procedure can be even more seamless and a very positive experience.
Before The Dermal Filler Procedure
Preparation For The Procedure
- Being on certain medications can cause a patient to bruise more easily. If medications have not been prescribed for everyday use by a physician, they should be avoided starting 7 days prior to treatment. Some of these medications include aspirin, Excedrin, ibuprofen (Motrin, Aleve, and Advil), St. John’s wort, and omega 3 fatty acids, vitamin E, gingko biloba, and ginseng. If pain medications are necessary, Tylenol is fine to use before the dermal filler procedure.
- – Do not take garlic 1 to 2 days before.
- – Do not consume alcohol 1 to 2 days before.
- – If you do not have high blood pressure or heart problems, take Arnica 1 day before or the morning of the treatment.
- – If you have ever had a cold sore, let the doctor know so you can be prescribed medication to prevent an outbreak.
During The Dermal Filler Procedure
- Ask for numbing cream 20 to 30 minutes before the procedure. This will help reduce bruising.
- Ask for an ice bag to apply immediately after the injections.
- Most doctors can tell from experience if you will experience swelling and bruising, so feel free to ask for their thoughts.
- Ask the physician to be very gentle.
After The Dermal Filler Procedure
The Result of The Procedure
- Avoid alcohol for the first day after the procedure.
- Do not exercise except for leisurely walking for the first 48 hours after the treatment. Not only does this prevent bruising, but it will also prevent infection and/or complications.
- Do not expose your skin to sun and/or heat. When you are outdoors, wear a hat and apply a SPF 30 sunscreen.
- Avoid touching, rubbing, or squeezing the treated areas. This can cause complications and can make any itchiness, irritation, or swelling worse.
- Do not take any medication except for Tylenol unless it is a prescription medication that you have been instructed to take by your family doctor.
- It is not uncommon for dermal filler injections to trigger acne in patients who are prone to these types of skin flare-ups. The surgeon can prescribe acne medication, but this will usually resolve on its own after approximately 14 days.
- Makeup can be used to conceal bruising and swelling. However, have a conversation with your surgeon to determine if this is the right approach for your treatment, as this can also cause infection. Lipstick on swollen lips is usually fine.
Regardless of how expert your doctor is, swelling and bruising should be expected. It is recommended that patients do not book any important events the week after their procedure. For very important occasions, such as a wedding, have the treatment done 3 to 4 weeks before, especially if you are prone to bruising and slower to recover than average.
To determine whether dermal fillers are right for your aesthetic goals and to restore a youthful and energetic appearance, contact the clinic to book a consultation with Dr. Torgerson. His team is available to answer your questions and inquiries. Please call 647-343-0207.
The First Step Of Your Journey Begins With A Conversation
We'll Get Back to You Within 1 Business Day.
- The Most Common & Uncommon Uses of Dermal Fillers in Toronto
- The Best Dermal Filler in Toronto : What’s Right For You?
- Seven Myths about Lip Filler in Toronto
- Toronto Lip Filler : A Definitive Guide
- 10 Things You Are Going To Wish You Knew Before Getting Lip Fillers In Toronto
- 4 Of The Most Common Myths About Dermal Fillers In Toronto
- Dermal Filler for Contouring the Face
- How Can Dermal Filler in Toronto Make You Look Youthful and Vibrant?
- Toronto Dermal Filler: How Is It Different from Botox?
- Lip Filler/Augmentation Techniques
- Things to Know If You’re Considering Dermal Fillers
- Wrinkles and Fillers: Collagen And Other Types
- Choosing The Right Type Of Dermal Filler
- The Lip Filler Phenomenon
- Why Choose Teosyal?
- Risks Associated with Injectable Fillers
- Reasons People Choose Dermal Filler
- Restylane Toronto - By Dr. Torgerson
- What is a Liquid Facelift?
- Voluma Lift - By Dr. Torgerson
- Teosyal Pen
- What’s Best For Crow's Feet And Facial Lines?
- Juvederm Toronto - Dermal Filler By Dr. Torgerson
- Teosyal RHA
- Maintaining Your Facial Expressiveness Using the New Teosyal RHA Filler
- What Is The Best Injectable Filler For Under Eye Hollows?
- Teosyal Redensity I
- Face the Facts – Top 5 Dermal Filler Facts
- Do I Need A Facelift, Skin Tightening, Or Fillers?
- Fillers For Acne Scars: 10 Essential Facts To Understand
- Facial Fillers: Know The Difference
- What are Perfect Lips?
- Benefits of Injectable Fillers
- Best Lip Filler Treatment
- Which Dermal Fillers Work Best?
- Teosyal Versus Juvéderm And Restylane
- Types of Injectable Fillers
- Potential Side Effects of Teosyal Dermal Fillers
- Skin Rejuvenation With Dermal Fillers: Do’s And Don’ts
- What It's Really Like To Get Lip Injections For The First Time
- Dermal Filler For Nasolabial Folds And Smile Lines
- 5 Surprising Facts about Dermal Fillers
- Radiesse Toronto - By Dr. Torgerson
- Volbella - Lip Filler By Dr. Torgerson
- Teosyal Redensity II
- The Best Ways To Treat Vertical Lines (Smoker Lines) Around the Mouth
- Popular Cosmetic Procedures For Men
- Everything You Need To Know About Non-Surgical Rhinoplasty (Nose Job)
- Top Health And Beauty Trends Of 2017
- Which Dermal Fillers Are Best For The Cheeks?
- Types of Dermal Fillers
- Tips For Reducing Swelling & Bruising After Dermal Filler Procedure
- Perlane Toronto - By Dr. Torgerson
- Facial Fillers: Frequently Asked Questions
- Dermal Fillers And Jawline Contouring
- About V2 Microneedling Beauty Booster Treatments with Redensity [l]
- V2 Microneedling Beauty Booster
- Rich Face
- Why Different Fillers For Different Areas On The Face?
- Teosyal Redensity I Toronto - By Dr. Torgerson
- Dermal Fillers: Your Top 10 Questions About This Popular Anti-Aging Trend
- Dermal Fillers: A Secret Skin-Rejuvenation Weapon
- Teosyal – What Is It and How Does It Work?
- Enhance Your Beauty by Preserving Facial Dynamism: Using Teosyal for Facial Rejuvenation
- What Is Teosyal Kiss?
- Selphyl Toronto
- Can Laser Resurfacing And Wrinkle Fillers Be Combined?
- What to Do After Lip Injections
- Lip Injections: Rise In Popularity
- Teoxane Cosmeceuticals
- Teosyal RHA Dynamic Fillers
- Botox, Fillers, And Other Cosmetic Procedures For Skin Rejuvenation
- Facial Fillers in Your 20s, 30s, 40s, and Up
- Teosyal Ultimate
- Teosyal Ultra Deep
- Best Injectable Fillers in Canada
- Wrinkle Treatment
- What Are Teosyal Fillers?
- Using Injectable Fillers To Rejuvenate Skin Non-Surgically
State-Of-The-Art Surgical Facility
Our facility offers a luxurious, comfortable and private setting for consultations and surgery with a waiting room that is both spacious and inviting. Although we hope you don’t have to spend too much time waiting to see Dr. Torgerson, within a few minutes you will feel relaxed and at ease.
*Disclaimer: Similar and/or permanent results are not guaranteed based on the treatment/procedure and may vary from patient to patient, based on multiple factors, including genetics and lifestyle of each patient.*
Please note that the Medicine Act, 1991, Part II: Advertising Regulations restricts and regulates advertising by physicians in Ontario. Compliance with these regulations restricts advertising and promotional content. Accordingly, the content of this website is intended for educational and informational purposes only, as the internet is an electronic information system and you are viewing this page unsolicited.
*If you require any further information to learn how our office is fully compliant with Ontario's Personal Health Information Protection Act, please contact us to connect with our Health Information Custodian.