Tips For Reducing Swelling & Bruising After Dermal Filler Procedure
One of the main advantages of a dermal filler injection procedure is that it does not require a lot of downtime for healing and recovery. However, by knowing what to expect, preparing, and taking the proper precautions before, during, and after the treatment, the procedure can be even more seamless and a very positive experience.
Before The Dermal Filler Procedure
Preparation For The Procedure
- Being on certain medications can cause a patient to bruise more easily. If medications have not been prescribed for everyday use by a physician, they should be avoided starting 7 days prior to treatment. Some of these medications include aspirin, Excedrin, ibuprofen (Motrin, Aleve, and Advil), St. John’s wort, and omega 3 fatty acids, vitamin E, gingko biloba, and ginseng. If pain medications are necessary, Tylenol is fine to use before the dermal filler procedure.
- – Do not take garlic 1 to 2 days before.
- – Do not consume alcohol 1 to 2 days before.
- – If you do not have high blood pressure or heart problems, take Arnica 1 day before or the morning of the treatment.
- – If you have ever had a cold sore, let the doctor know so you can be prescribed medication to prevent an outbreak.
During The Dermal Filler Procedure
- Ask for numbing cream 20 to 30 minutes before the procedure. This will help reduce bruising.
- Ask for an ice bag to apply immediately after the injections.
- Most doctors can tell from experience if you will experience swelling and bruising, so feel free to ask for their thoughts.
- Ask the physician to be very gentle.
After The Dermal Filler Procedure
The Result of The Procedure
- Avoid alcohol for the first day after the procedure.
- Do not exercise except for leisurely walking for the first 48 hours after the treatment. Not only does this prevent bruising, but it will also prevent infection and/or complications.
- Do not expose your skin to sun and/or heat. When you are outdoors, wear a hat and apply a SPF 30 sunscreen.
- Avoid touching, rubbing, or squeezing the treated areas. This can cause complications and can make any itchiness, irritation, or swelling worse.
- Do not take any medication except for Tylenol unless it is a prescription medication that you have been instructed to take by your family doctor.
- It is not uncommon for dermal filler injections to trigger acne in patients who are prone to these types of skin flare-ups. The surgeon can prescribe acne medication, but this will usually resolve on its own after approximately 14 days.
- Makeup can be used to conceal bruising and swelling. However, have a conversation with your surgeon to determine if this is the right approach for your treatment, as this can also cause infection. Lipstick on swollen lips is usually fine.
Regardless of how expert your doctor is, swelling and bruising should be expected. It is recommended that patients do not book any important events the week after their procedure. For very important occasions, such as a wedding, have the treatment done 3 to 4 weeks before, especially if you are prone to bruising and slower to recover than average.
To determine whether dermal fillers are right for your aesthetic goals and to restore a youthful and energetic appearance, contact the clinic to book a consultation with Dr. Torgerson. His team is available to answer your questions and inquiries. Please call 647-343-0207.
The First Step Of Your Journey Begins With A Conversation
We'll Get Back to You Within 1 Business Day.
- 10 Things You Are Going To Wish You Knew Before Getting Lip Fillers In Toronto
- 4 Of The Most Common Myths About Dermal Fillers In Toronto
- 5 Surprising Facts about Dermal Fillers
- About V2 Microneedling Beauty Booster Treatments with Redensity [l]
- Benefits of Injectable Fillers
- Best Injectable Fillers in Canada
- Best Lip Filler Treatment
- Botox, Fillers, And Other Cosmetic Procedures For Skin Rejuvenation
- Can Laser Resurfacing And Wrinkle Fillers Be Combined?
- Choosing The Right Type Of Dermal Filler
- Dermal Filler for Contouring the Face
- Dermal Filler For Nasolabial Folds And Smile Lines
- Dermal Fillers And Jawline Contouring
- Dermal Fillers: A Secret Skin-Rejuvenation Weapon
- Dermal Fillers: Your Top 10 Questions About This Popular Anti-Aging Trend
- Do I Need A Facelift, Skin Tightening, Or Fillers?
- Enhance Your Beauty by Preserving Facial Dynamism: Using Teosyal for Facial Rejuvenation
- Everything You Need To Know About Non-Surgical Rhinoplasty (Nose Job)
- Face the Facts – Top 5 Dermal Filler Facts
- Facial Fillers in Your 20s, 30s, 40s, and Up
- Facial Fillers: Frequently Asked Questions
- Facial Fillers: Know The Difference
- Fillers For Acne Scars: 10 Essential Facts To Understand
- How Can Dermal Filler in Toronto Make You Look Youthful and Vibrant?
- Juvederm Toronto - Dermal Filler By Dr. Torgerson
- Lip Filler/Augmentation Techniques
- Lip Injections: Rise In Popularity
- Maintaining Your Facial Expressiveness Using the New Teosyal RHA Filler
- Perlane Toronto - By Dr. Torgerson
- Popular Cosmetic Procedures For Men
- Potential Side Effects of Teosyal Dermal Fillers
- PRP Treatments Toronto
- Radiesse Toronto - By Dr. Torgerson
- Reasons People Choose Dermal Filler
- Restylane Toronto - By Dr. Torgerson
- Rich Face
- Risks Associated with Injectable Fillers
- Seven Myths about Lip Filler in Toronto
- Skin Rejuvenation With Dermal Fillers: Do’s And Don’ts
- Teosyal – What Is It and How Does It Work?
- Teosyal Pen
- Teosyal Redensity I
- Teosyal Redensity I Toronto - By Dr. Torgerson
- Teosyal Redensity II
- Teosyal RHA
- Teosyal RHA Dynamic Fillers
- Teosyal Ultimate
- Teosyal Ultra Deep
- Teosyal Versus Juvéderm And Restylane
- Teoxane Cosmeceuticals
- The Best Dermal Filler in Toronto : What’s Right For You?
- The Best Ways To Treat Vertical Lines (Smoker Lines) Around the Mouth
- The Lip Filler Phenomenon
- The Most Common & Uncommon Uses of Dermal Fillers in Toronto
- Things to Know If You’re Considering Dermal Fillers
- Tips For Reducing Swelling & Bruising After Dermal Filler Procedure
- Top Health And Beauty Trends Of 2017
- Toronto Dermal Filler: How Is It Different from Botox?
- Toronto Lip Filler: A Definitive Guide
- Toronto Lip Filler: Why the Look Went from Puffy to Perfect
- Types of Dermal Fillers
- Types of Injectable Fillers
- Using Injectable Fillers To Rejuvenate Skin Non-Surgically
- V2 Microneedling Beauty Booster
- Volbella - Lip Filler By Dr. Torgerson
- Voluma Lift - By Dr. Torgerson
- What are Perfect Lips?
- What Are Teosyal Fillers?
- What is a Liquid Facelift?
- What Is Teosyal Kiss?
- What Is the Best Injectable Filler for Under Eye Hollows?
- What It's Really Like To Get Lip Injections For The First Time
- What to Do After Lip Injections
- What’s Best For Crow's Feet And Facial Lines?
- Which Dermal Fillers Are Best For The Cheeks?
- Which Dermal Fillers Work Best?
- Why Choose Teosyal?
- Why Different Fillers For Different Areas On The Face?
- Wrinkle Treatment
- Wrinkles and Fillers: Collagen And Other Types
State-Of-The-Art Surgical Facility
Our facility offers a luxurious, comfortable and private setting for consultations and surgery with a waiting room that is both spacious and inviting. Although we hope you don’t have to spend too much time waiting to see Dr. Torgerson, within a few minutes you will feel relaxed and at ease.