Types of Injectable Fillers
Although injectable filler is a common facial cosmetic procedure in aesthetic salons and plastic surgery centres around the world, the cosmetic treatment is not new
As early as 1900, surgeons were adding volume to various facial features using paraffin wax! The “search for youth” has come a long way over the past century, with many different types of dermal filler now available.
have been around for 35 years.
The majority of our skin tissues are made up of this protein called collagen. A purified form of collagen is usually derived from cows (bovine). When injected into soft tissue, it lasts approximately 3 months, which is the shortest amount of time before being assimilated back into the body. Collagen fillers are no longer popular and are barely used. They have been replaced with hyaluronic acid-based fillers.
Hyaluronic acid (HA) fillers are a naturally-occurring carbohydrate in our skin and cartilage (polysaccharide). When HA is combined with water, it swells and forms a gel-like substance. It is derived from bacteria or rooster combs. In recent years, HA fillers have been improved to last longer before being absorbed by our bodies, typically 6 to 12 months. Restylane, Perlane, Teosyal, Volbella, Redensity II, Voluma, and Juvéderm are popular HA fillers and are used extensively by our doctors at our facial cosmetic clinic in Yorkville, downtown Toronto. Calcium hydroxylapatite is a mineral we have in our bones and teeth. Particles of calcium hydroxyl are suspended in a water-based gel solution in order to inject. This type of filler can last up to 12 months. Radiesse is the most commonly known filler in this category, but is only appropriate to use in certain areas of the face such as the cheekbones.
Poly L lactic acid (PLLA) is a biodegradable man-made polymer filler
PLLA & PMMA Fillers
It has been used by the medical profession for years in absorbable stitches and bone screws. PLLA fillers are injected over a series of months and last approximately 2 years. PLLA filler is marketed under the name Sculptra. Polymethylmethacrylate (PMMA microspheres) is a non-biodegradable man-made polymer filler. It has been used extensively in surgery as bone cement. 20% microsphere particles are combined with 80% collagen gel to form the filler to inject. Eventually, when the microspheres break down, our bodies produce their own collagen to fill out the spaces. PMMA fillers require several sessions in order to create the necessary volume and may take up to 3 months to see full results. This semi-lasting filler was called Artefill, but was rebranded Bellafil in December 2014. Platelet-rich fibrin matrix (PRFM) fillers actually use the clients’ own platelets and are reinjected into areas needing more collagen stimulation. When doctors inject this filler, clotting occurs, forming a framework to fill the area. The most popular type of PRP therapy filler is known as Selphyl. Liquid silicone, once used by Hollywood celebrities, has not been approved for use in Canada as an injectable filler for facial contouring.
The First Step Of Your Journey Begins With A Conversation
We'll Get Back to You Within 1 Business Day.
- Toronto Lip Filler: Why the Look Went from Puffy to Perfect
- Voluma Lift - By Dr. Torgerson
- Selphyl Toronto
- Volbella - Lip Filler By Dr. Torgerson
- Teosyal Ultimate
- Teosyal Redensity I Toronto - By Dr. Torgerson
- Restylane Toronto - By Dr. Torgerson
- Perlane Toronto - By Dr. Torgerson
- Teosyal RHA Dynamic Fillers
- Radiesse Toronto - By Dr. Torgerson
- Juvederm Toronto - Dermal Filler By Dr. Torgerson
- Why Choose Teosyal?
- Wrinkles and Fillers: Collagen And Other Types
- Why Different Fillers For Different Areas On The Face?
- Wrinkle Treatment
- Which Dermal Fillers Work Best?
- Which Dermal Fillers Are Best For The Cheeks?
- What to Do After Lip Injections
- What’s Best For Crow's Feet And Facial Lines?
- What It's Really Like To Get Lip Injections For The First Time
- What Is Teosyal Kiss?
- What Is The Best Injectable Filler For Under Eye Hollows?
- What is a Liquid Facelift?
- V2 Microneedling Beauty Booster
- What Are Teosyal Fillers?
- What are Perfect Lips?
- Types of Dermal Fillers
- Types of Injectable Fillers
- Using Injectable Fillers To Rejuvenate Skin Non-Surgically
- Toronto Lip Filler : A Definitive Guide
- Toronto Dermal Filler: How Is It Different from Botox?
- Top Health And Beauty Trends Of 2017
- Things to Know If You’re Considering Dermal Fillers
- Tips For Reducing Swelling & Bruising After Dermal Filler Procedure
- The Most Common & Uncommon Uses of Dermal Fillers in Toronto
- The Lip Filler Phenomenon
- The Best Ways To Treat Vertical Lines (Smoker Lines) Around the Mouth
- The Best Dermal Filler in Toronto : What’s Right For You?
- Teoxane Cosmeceuticals
- Teosyal Redensity I
- Teosyal Redensity II
- Teosyal Ultra Deep
- Teosyal – What Is It and How Does It Work?
- Teosyal Pen
- Teosyal Versus Juvéderm And Restylane
- Teosyal RHA
- Skin Rejuvenation With Dermal Fillers: Do’s And Don’ts
- Seven Myths about Lip Filler in Toronto
- Risks Associated with Injectable Fillers
- Rich Face
- Popular Cosmetic Procedures For Men
- Potential Side Effects of Teosyal Dermal Fillers
- Reasons People Choose Dermal Filler
- Lip Injections: Rise In Popularity
- Maintaining Your Facial Expressiveness Using the New Teosyal RHA Filler
- Lip Filler/Augmentation Techniques
- How Can Dermal Filler in Toronto Make You Look Youthful and Vibrant?
- Facial Fillers: Frequently Asked Questions
- Facial Fillers: Know The Difference
- Facial Fillers in Your 20s, 30s, 40s, and Up
- Fillers For Acne Scars: 10 Essential Facts To Understand
- Face the Facts – Top 5 Dermal Filler Facts
- Everything You Need To Know About Non-Surgical Rhinoplasty (Nose Job)
- Enhance Your Beauty by Preserving Facial Dynamism: Using Teosyal for Facial Rejuvenation
- Do I Need A Facelift, Skin Tightening, Or Fillers?
- Dermal Filler For Nasolabial Folds And Smile Lines
- Dermal Fillers: Your Top 10 Questions About This Popular Anti-Aging Trend
- Dermal Fillers And Jawline Contouring
- Dermal Fillers: A Secret Skin-Rejuvenation Weapon
- Dermal Filler for Contouring the Face
- Choosing The Right Type Of Dermal Filler
- Can Laser Resurfacing And Wrinkle Fillers Be Combined?
- Botox, Fillers, And Other Cosmetic Procedures For Skin Rejuvenation
- Best Lip Filler Treatment
- Benefits of Injectable Fillers
- Best Injectable Fillers in Canada
- About V2 Microneedling Beauty Booster Treatments with Redensity [l]
- 10 Things You Are Going To Wish You Knew Before Getting Lip Fillers In Toronto
- 4 Of The Most Common Myths About Dermal Fillers In Toronto
- 5 Surprising Facts about Dermal Fillers
State-Of-The-Art Surgical Facility
Our facility offers a luxurious, comfortable and private setting for consultations and surgery with a waiting room that is both spacious and inviting. Although we hope you don’t have to spend too much time waiting to see Dr. Torgerson, within a few minutes you will feel relaxed and at ease.
*Disclaimer: Similar and/or permanent results are not guaranteed based on the treatment/procedure and may vary from patient to patient, based on multiple factors, including genetics and lifestyle of each patient.*
Please note that the Medicine Act, 1991, Part II: Advertising Regulations restricts and regulates advertising by physicians in Ontario. Compliance with these regulations restricts advertising and promotional content. Accordingly, the content of this website is intended for educational and informational purposes only, as the internet is an electronic information system and you are viewing this page unsolicited.
*If you require any further information to learn how our office is fully compliant with Ontario's Personal Health Information Protection Act, please contact us to connect with our Health Information Custodian.