Types of Injectable Fillers
Although injectable filler is a common facial cosmetic procedure in aesthetic salons and plastic surgery centres around the world, the cosmetic treatment is not new
As early as 1900, surgeons were adding volume to various facial features using paraffin wax! The “search for youth” has come a long way over the past century, with many different types of dermal filler now available.
have been around for 35 years.
The majority of our skin tissues are made up of this protein called collagen. A purified form of collagen is usually derived from cows (bovine). When injected into soft tissue, it lasts approximately 3 months, which is the shortest amount of time before being assimilated back into the body. Collagen fillers are no longer popular and are barely used. They have been replaced with hyaluronic acid-based fillers.
Hyaluronic acid (HA) fillers are a naturally-occurring carbohydrate in our skin and cartilage (polysaccharide). When HA is combined with water, it swells and forms a gel-like substance. It is derived from bacteria or rooster combs. In recent years, HA fillers have been improved to last longer before being absorbed by our bodies, typically 6 to 12 months. Restylane, Perlane, Teosyal, Volbella, Redensity II, Voluma, and Juvéderm are popular HA fillers and are used extensively by our doctors at our facial cosmetic clinic in Yorkville, downtown Toronto. Calcium hydroxylapatite is a mineral we have in our bones and teeth. Particles of calcium hydroxyl are suspended in a water-based gel solution in order to inject. This type of filler can last up to 12 months. Radiesse is the most commonly known filler in this category, but is only appropriate to use in certain areas of the face such as the cheekbones.
Poly L lactic acid (PLLA) is a biodegradable man-made polymer filler
PLLA & PMMA Fillers
It has been used by the medical profession for years in absorbable stitches and bone screws. PLLA fillers are injected over a series of months and last approximately 2 years. PLLA filler is marketed under the name Sculptra. Polymethylmethacrylate (PMMA microspheres) is a non-biodegradable man-made polymer filler. It has been used extensively in surgery as bone cement. 20% microsphere particles are combined with 80% collagen gel to form the filler to inject. Eventually, when the microspheres break down, our bodies produce their own collagen to fill out the spaces. PMMA fillers require several sessions in order to create the necessary volume and may take up to 3 months to see full results. This semi-lasting filler was called Artefill, but was rebranded Bellafil in December 2014. Platelet-rich fibrin matrix (PRFM) fillers actually use the clients’ own platelets and are reinjected into areas needing more collagen stimulation. When doctors inject this filler, clotting occurs, forming a framework to fill the area. The most popular type of PRP therapy filler is known as Selphyl. Liquid silicone, once used by Hollywood celebrities, has not been approved for use in Canada as an injectable filler for facial contouring.
The First Step Of Your Journey Begins With A Conversation
We'll Get Back to You Within 1 Business Day.
- 10 Things You Are Going To Wish You Knew Before Getting Lip Fillers In Toronto
- Toronto Lip Filler : A Definitive Guide
- The Most Common & Uncommon Uses of Dermal Fillers in Toronto
- The Best Dermal Filler in Toronto : What’s Right For You?
- Seven Myths about Lip Filler in Toronto
- 4 Of The Most Common Myths About Dermal Fillers In Toronto
- Dermal Filler for Contouring the Face
- How Can Dermal Filler in Toronto Make You Look Youthful and Vibrant?
- Toronto Dermal Filler: How Is It Different from Botox?
- Lip Filler/Augmentation Techniques
- Things to Know If You’re Considering Dermal Fillers
- Wrinkles and Fillers: Collagen And Other Types
- Choosing The Right Type Of Dermal Filler
- The Lip Filler Phenomenon
- Why Choose Teosyal?
- Risks Associated with Injectable Fillers
- Reasons People Choose Dermal Filler
- Restylane Toronto - By Dr. Torgerson
- What is a Liquid Facelift?
- Voluma Lift - By Dr. Torgerson
- Teosyal Pen
- What’s Best For Crow's Feet And Facial Lines?
- Juvederm Toronto - Dermal Filler By Dr. Torgerson
- Teosyal RHA
- Maintaining Your Facial Expressiveness Using the New Teosyal RHA Filler
- What Is The Best Injectable Filler For Under Eye Hollows?
- Teosyal Redensity I
- Face the Facts – Top 5 Dermal Filler Facts
- Do I Need A Facelift, Skin Tightening, Or Fillers?
- Fillers For Acne Scars: 10 Essential Facts To Understand
- Facial Fillers: Know The Difference
- What are Perfect Lips?
- Benefits of Injectable Fillers
- Best Lip Filler Treatment
- Which Dermal Fillers Work Best?
- Teosyal Versus Juvéderm And Restylane
- Types of Injectable Fillers
- Potential Side Effects of Teosyal Dermal Fillers
- Skin Rejuvenation With Dermal Fillers: Do’s And Don’ts
- What It's Really Like To Get Lip Injections For The First Time
- Dermal Filler For Nasolabial Folds And Smile Lines
- 5 Surprising Facts about Dermal Fillers
- Radiesse Toronto - By Dr. Torgerson
- Volbella - Lip Filler By Dr. Torgerson
- Teosyal Redensity II
- The Best Ways To Treat Vertical Lines (Smoker Lines) Around the Mouth
- Popular Cosmetic Procedures For Men
- Everything You Need To Know About Non-Surgical Rhinoplasty (Nose Job)
- Top Health And Beauty Trends Of 2017
- Which Dermal Fillers Are Best For The Cheeks?
- Types of Dermal Fillers
- Tips For Reducing Swelling & Bruising After Dermal Filler Procedure
- Perlane Toronto - By Dr. Torgerson
- Facial Fillers: Frequently Asked Questions
- Dermal Fillers And Jawline Contouring
- About V2 Microneedling Beauty Booster Treatments with Redensity [l]
- V2 Microneedling Beauty Booster
- Rich Face
- Why Different Fillers For Different Areas On The Face?
- Teosyal Redensity I Toronto - By Dr. Torgerson
- Dermal Fillers: Your Top 10 Questions About This Popular Anti-Aging Trend
- Dermal Fillers: A Secret Skin-Rejuvenation Weapon
- Teosyal – What Is It and How Does It Work?
- Enhance Your Beauty by Preserving Facial Dynamism: Using Teosyal for Facial Rejuvenation
- What Is Teosyal Kiss?
- Selphyl Toronto
- Can Laser Resurfacing And Wrinkle Fillers Be Combined?
- What to Do After Lip Injections
- Lip Injections: Rise In Popularity
- Teoxane Cosmeceuticals
- Teosyal RHA Dynamic Fillers
- Botox, Fillers, And Other Cosmetic Procedures For Skin Rejuvenation
- Facial Fillers in Your 20s, 30s, 40s, and Up
- Teosyal Ultimate
- Teosyal Ultra Deep
- Best Injectable Fillers in Canada
- Wrinkle Treatment
- What Are Teosyal Fillers?
- Using Injectable Fillers To Rejuvenate Skin Non-Surgically
State-Of-The-Art Surgical Facility
Our facility offers a luxurious, comfortable and private setting for consultations and surgery with a waiting room that is both spacious and inviting. Although we hope you don’t have to spend too much time waiting to see Dr. Torgerson, within a few minutes you will feel relaxed and at ease.
*Disclaimer: Similar and/or permanent results are not guaranteed based on the treatment/procedure and may vary from patient to patient, based on multiple factors, including genetics and lifestyle of each patient.*
Please note that the Medicine Act, 1991, Part II: Advertising Regulations restricts and regulates advertising by physicians in Ontario. Compliance with these regulations restricts advertising and promotional content. Accordingly, the content of this website is intended for educational and informational purposes only, as the internet is an electronic information system and you are viewing this page unsolicited.
*If you require any further information to learn how our office is fully compliant with Ontario's Personal Health Information Protection Act, please contact us to connect with our Health Information Custodian.