Acne Scars & Scar Removal
Acne scars and other scars on the body are irritating and are not something you have to live with for the rest of your life
AFT (Advanced Fluorescence Technology) laser is the next generation of Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) laser technology that improves the texture, tone, and appearance of skin with minimal downtime. This laser treatment is specifically designed to dramatically improve many problem skin areas, including reducing the aesthetic imperfections of acne scarring or of almost any other scar on the skin. By penetrating deeply and raising the dermal temperature, the AFT-IPL laser targets the surface of the skin where prior acne has made the surface uneven. The key advantages for our patients are that the treatments are quick with little to no downtime and the results are wonderfully effective! **
Who is a good candidate for Laser Acne Scar Treatment?
Acne & Scar Laser Treatments
For patients who no longer have active acne, laser scar treatments are an excellent option. By using a highly effective laser, the appearance of acne scars can be diminished and smooth skin texture regenerated. Dr. Torgerson recommends that patients who have used the drug, Accutane, should wait 6 months after discontinuing its use before scheduling a laser acne scar removal treatment. Accutane has been known to cause scarring and interfere with laser treatments, and because our laser clinic desires that each patient would achieve the top results possible, this is what we recommend to former Accutane users. If proper precautions are taken and the laser treatment is performed at a reputable laser clinic by an expert, the side effects and risks associated with the acne scar procedure are minimized and rare. **
What can you expect during an Acne Scar Laser treatment?
During the Treatment
After a free consultation, patients can proceed with booking a laser treatment date. Our Toronto clinic will provide simple and easy pre-treatment instructions to follow prior to the laser session. On the day of the treatment, patients will be given a topical pain-killer and the option of freezing to ensure comfort and ease of treatment. Most patients find the procedure absolutely tolerable and find they can resume their regular activities immediately following the treatment. Following the acne laser scar removal, skin will take about 3 to 5 days to rejuvenate and resurface. Once the acne scars are removed, they will not return. However, if active acne begins again, there is also the possibility of new acne scars forming, so further laser treatment may be necessary. If you have acne-prone skin, you may also be interested in our Silk Peel with Acne Clarifying Solution. Click here to find out about our Acne Silkpeel treatment. **
Cleansers, moisturizers, and other acne treatment products
Dr. Cory Torgerson Facial Cosmetic Surgery offers a wide range of cleansers, moisturizers, and other acne treatment products such as those containing Benzoyl Peroxide and Salicylic Acid. Our medical grade products can be used alone or in conjunction with any of our acne treatments. Your skin will continue to look and feel great as you notice visible improvements. To check out our Alyria and Glisodin products, which are 100% guaranteed to give you incredible results, click here. Our clinicians are happy to help advise you on the appropriate skin care products that will make the most sense for you and provide the best results. **
The First Step Of Your Journey Begins With A Conversation
We'll Get Back to You Within 1 Business Day.
Acne Scar Treatment FAQ
What acne scar treatments are most effective?
The main rule of thumb is that the deeper the problem, the deeper the treatment needed. Microdermabrasion and chemical peels can help superficial light scarring, but the deeper scars need a more aggressive approach in order to be successfully treated and removed. In our Toronto Facial Cosmetic Clinic, we recommend the use of the CO2 laser for the best resurfacing results.
Can I proceed with laser acne scar treatments if I am in the middle of a breakout?
It is best practice to wait until any outbreaks or active acne have been managed and stopped before proceeding with acne scar treatment. The reason is that if you have active acne, the possibility of further scarring is present and any treatments would be futile. Therefore, treatment of the underlying problem is a must, and from there, attention can be turned towards erasing those marks on the face.*
Will one laser treatment effectively remove all acne scars?
Patience is key in regards to acne scars. Although the best treatment (CO2 laser) is extremely effective, there may be a few scars, uneven skin contouring, or red/brown discolouration left over after your first laser treatment that will need additional procedures in order to achieve the desired result. It may be a long road, but the end result will be absolutely worth it.*
Can a dermal filler like JUVÉDERM be used as an acne scar treatment?
Yes. JUVÉDERM and other dermal fillers can be used as part of a treatment approach to deep scars to help even out the skin surface. When injected by an experienced injector, the treatment can be quite effective and less expensive than laser treatments. The key is for the injector not to over-correct and cause a bump, but to endeavour to raise up and smooth out the appearance of the scar and the skin with a hyaluronic acid filler. However, unlike a C02 laser treatment, injectable filler is not temporary, so the results would need to be maintained over time.*
The First Step Of Your Journey Begins With A Conversation
Non-Surgical Laser Treatment
- Why is CO2 laser more expensive than AFT laser?
- What Happens When You Get Laser For Acne Scars?
- What Do Laser Treatments Cost?
- What Conditions do Lasers Treat?
- What Can You Treat With Facial Laser Treatments?
- Want To Tighten Loose Skin? Try Laser Skin Tightening Treatments
- Using Laser Skin Tightening To Reduce Facial Lines And Wrinkles
- Types of Laser Skin Resurfacing
- Using Laser Treatments To Clear Acne Scars
- Using Laser Treatments To Relieve Vaginal Dryness
- Using Laser Treatments To Clear Acne Scars – Here Are Some Important Facts You Should Know
- Treating Acne Scars – What Works Best?
- Treating Acne with CO2
- The Purpose of Laser Light
- The Best Beauty Treatments for Women with Darker Skin
- Side Effects of Laser Skin Therapy
- Risks with Facial Skin Resurfacing
- Safety Of Laser Treatments
- Safety Tips if Considering a Laser Treatment
- Scar Treatments
- Preparation for Laser Skin Resurfacing
- Pros and Cons of CO2 Laser
- Q&A: AFT – IPL Laser Therapy
- Q&A: iPixel Erbium Laser Therapy
- Recovery Time after Laser Skin Therapy
- Post-Laser Treatment Home Care Instructions
- Non-Surgical Toronto Laser Skin Treatment Can Turn Back the Clock for Your Skin
- Perfect Candidates for Laser Therapy
- Non-Surgical Skin Tightening
- ND-YAG Laser
- My Experience with Laser Skin Therapy
- Laser Tattoo Removal
- Laser Treatments for Darker Skin Tones
- Laser Treatments For Acne Scars And Their Benefits
- Lasers Vs. Surgery: What’s The Right Choice For You? Part 2
- Lasers Vs. Surgery: What’s The Right Choice For You? Part 1
- Laser Therapy for Facial Wrinkles
- Laser Skin Tightening Treatments: Costs, Risks, And Benefits
- Less Invasive Laser Treatments
- Is there a Solution for Acne Scars?
- Laser Skin Resurfacing After-Care Tips
- Laser and Acne Scar Removal
- Laser and Tattoo Removal
- Laser Mole Removal Recovery
- Laser Scar Removal and Treatment Info
- IPL (Intense Pulsed Light) – Frequently Asked Questions
- How To Take Care Of Your Skin After Deep Fractional Laser Treatments
- How To Accomplish Bigger Busts With Laser Breast-Lifting Treatments
- How Can You Tell if a Toronto Laser Skin Treatment Is Right for You?
- How Does a Toronto CO2 Laser Skin Treatment Work to Beautify Your Complexion?
- How Laser Skin Tightening Works
- Have You Tried Using Laser Skin Treatments To Erase Acne Scars?
- Have You Tried the New Non-Surgical Laser Solution for Treating Stress Urinary Incontinence?
- Five Best Ways to Treat Scars
- Facial Laser Treatments: Frequently Asked Questions
- Cosmetic Laser Therapy … Is it for You?
- Cosmetic Laser Treatments
- Differences Between CO2 And Erbium Fractional Laser Treatments
- Complications of Laser Skin Therapy
- Chemical Peels Vs. Laser Treatment: Is One Better Than The Other?
- Commonly Asked Questions About Laser Skin Tightening
- ClearLift And How It Works
- CO2 Laser Resurfacing – Why Do the Before and After Results Keep It in High Demand?
- Celebrities and Laser Skin Therapy
- Best Photorejuvenation Treatments
- Benefits of Non-Surgical Anti-Aging Laser Treatments For The Body Part 2
- Benefits of Laser Skin Therapy
- Benefits Of Non-Surgical Anti-Aging Laser Treatments For The Body Part 1
- Advantages & Disadvantages of a Laser Face Lift
- Ablative vs. Non-Ablative Lasers
- Ablative Laser Treatments
State-Of-The-Art Surgical Facility
Our facility offers a luxurious, comfortable and private setting for consultations and surgery with a waiting room that is both spacious and inviting. Although we hope you don’t have to spend too much time waiting to see Dr. Torgerson, within a few minutes you will feel relaxed and at ease.
*Disclaimer: Similar and/or permanent results are not guaranteed based on the treatment/procedure and may vary from patient to patient, based on multiple factors, including genetics and lifestyle of each patient.*
Please note that the Medicine Act, 1991, Part II: Advertising Regulations restricts and regulates advertising by physicians in Ontario. Compliance with these regulations restricts advertising and promotional content. Accordingly, the content of this website is intended for educational and informational purposes only, as the internet is an electronic information system and you are viewing this page unsolicited.
*If you require any further information to learn how our office is fully compliant with Ontario's Personal Health Information Protection Act, please contact us to connect with our Health Information Custodian.