Treating Acne Scars – What Works Best?
When we think of acne, we usually think of puberty and adolescence.
Acne scarring can also be the result of an injury, chicken pox, disease, or stress. Acne scars can be embarrassing because they usually occur on the cheeks and temple areas of our faces and are difficult to camouflage. Dr. Cory Torgerson’s laser centre in Toronto offers a variety of solutions for those looking to treat their acne scars.
Acne Scars Are Further Categorized By Their Shape
Acne falls under the category of atrophic scars, which means they are indented. The blemish or injury has penetrated into the dermis layer of skin, causing the damage to be deep. Acne scars are further categorized by their shape. Ice-pick acne scars are the most common and are named because of the V-shaped holes they cause on the cheeks. Boxed acne scars are square-shaped and can be deep. They are not only found on the cheeks, but also on the temple area. Finally, rolling acne scars cause the skin to have a wave-like texture.
If the acne is caused by blemishes, Dr. Torgerson recommends waiting until they are healed before proceeding with any facial laser therapy. To help reduce acne, he is able to offer medical-grade cleansers and moisturizers that are not available over the counter. Once the blemishes are gone, cosmetic treatments will be more effective.
The goal of people who have acne scarring is to have a smooth, even complexion like everyone else. There are several facial cosmetic procedures that are available to accomplish this. Injectable fillers such as Juvéderm can be injected into the scars, causing them to rise to the same level as the facial surface. This is a quick, affordable method, but it must be repeated every 6 to 12 months.
Even Facial Surface Where The Scars Are Minimized
Correct Minimal Acne Scarring
Laser skin therapy offers advance AFT- IPL laser treatments to correct minimal acne scarring. More aggressive laser procedures such as erbium laser or CO2 fractionated laser are needed when dealing with deeper scars. No matter which laser treatment is chosen, the result is a smoother, more even facial surface where the scars are minimized. Usually, several treatments are needed, but the results of laser skin therapy is long lasting, and the existing acne scars can be eradicated for good.
For deep scarring, surgery may be a practical solution. One surgical procedure called “punch excision” uses a sharp, round tool matching the size of the hole to remove the scar and then pull the edges of the skin together with stitches. Skin grafting can also be performed on deep scars, and when the 2 procedures are combined, it is called “punch grafting”. However, with the advances of laser therapy, these methods are rarely necessary anymore.
Dr. Cory Torgerson is a certified facial plastic surgeon and offers injectable fillers as well as laser skin resurfacing at his private cosmetic clinic in Toronto. After assessing the extent of your acne scars, the team of experts there will be able to suggest the best therapy. This will reward you with a glowing complexion and a beautiful, even texture.
The First Step Of Your Journey Begins With A Conversation
We'll Get Back to You Within 1 Business Day.
Non-Surgical Laser Treatment
- Why is CO2 laser more expensive than AFT laser?
- What Happens When You Get Laser For Acne Scars?
- What Do Laser Treatments Cost?
- What Conditions do Lasers Treat?
- What Can You Treat With Facial Laser Treatments?
- Want To Tighten Loose Skin? Try Laser Skin Tightening Treatments
- Using Laser Skin Tightening To Reduce Facial Lines And Wrinkles
- Types of Laser Skin Resurfacing
- Using Laser Treatments To Clear Acne Scars
- Using Laser Treatments To Relieve Vaginal Dryness
- Using Laser Treatments To Clear Acne Scars – Here Are Some Important Facts You Should Know
- Treating Acne Scars – What Works Best?
- Treating Acne with CO2
- The Purpose of Laser Light
- The Best Beauty Treatments for Women with Darker Skin
- Side Effects of Laser Skin Therapy
- Risks with Facial Skin Resurfacing
- Safety Of Laser Treatments
- Safety Tips if Considering a Laser Treatment
- Scar Treatments
- Preparation for Laser Skin Resurfacing
- Pros and Cons of CO2 Laser
- Q&A: AFT – IPL Laser Therapy
- Q&A: iPixel Erbium Laser Therapy
- Recovery Time after Laser Skin Therapy
- Post-Laser Treatment Home Care Instructions
- Non-Surgical Toronto Laser Skin Treatment Can Turn Back the Clock for Your Skin
- Perfect Candidates for Laser Therapy
- Non-Surgical Skin Tightening
- ND-YAG Laser
- My Experience with Laser Skin Therapy
- Laser Tattoo Removal
- Laser Treatments for Darker Skin Tones
- Laser Treatments For Acne Scars And Their Benefits
- Lasers Vs. Surgery: What’s The Right Choice For You? Part 2
- Lasers Vs. Surgery: What’s The Right Choice For You? Part 1
- Laser Therapy for Facial Wrinkles
- Laser Skin Tightening Treatments: Costs, Risks, And Benefits
- Less Invasive Laser Treatments
- Is there a Solution for Acne Scars?
- Laser Skin Resurfacing After-Care Tips
- Laser and Acne Scar Removal
- Laser and Tattoo Removal
- Laser Mole Removal Recovery
- Laser Scar Removal and Treatment Info
- IPL (Intense Pulsed Light) – Frequently Asked Questions
- How To Take Care Of Your Skin After Deep Fractional Laser Treatments
- How To Accomplish Bigger Busts With Laser Breast-Lifting Treatments
- How Can You Tell if a Toronto Laser Skin Treatment Is Right for You?
- How Does a Toronto CO2 Laser Skin Treatment Work to Beautify Your Complexion?
- How Laser Skin Tightening Works
- Have You Tried Using Laser Skin Treatments To Erase Acne Scars?
- Have You Tried the New Non-Surgical Laser Solution for Treating Stress Urinary Incontinence?
- Five Best Ways to Treat Scars
- Facial Laser Treatments: Frequently Asked Questions
- Cosmetic Laser Therapy … Is it for You?
- Cosmetic Laser Treatments
- Differences Between CO2 And Erbium Fractional Laser Treatments
- Complications of Laser Skin Therapy
- Chemical Peels Vs. Laser Treatment: Is One Better Than The Other?
- Commonly Asked Questions About Laser Skin Tightening
- ClearLift And How It Works
- CO2 Laser Resurfacing – Why Do the Before and After Results Keep It in High Demand?
- Celebrities and Laser Skin Therapy
- Best Photorejuvenation Treatments
- Benefits of Non-Surgical Anti-Aging Laser Treatments For The Body Part 2
- Benefits of Laser Skin Therapy
- Benefits Of Non-Surgical Anti-Aging Laser Treatments For The Body Part 1
- Advantages & Disadvantages of a Laser Face Lift
- Ablative vs. Non-Ablative Lasers
- Ablative Laser Treatments
State-Of-The-Art Surgical Facility
Our facility offers a luxurious, comfortable and private setting for consultations and surgery with a waiting room that is both spacious and inviting. Although we hope you don’t have to spend too much time waiting to see Dr. Torgerson, within a few minutes you will feel relaxed and at ease.
*Disclaimer: Similar and/or permanent results are not guaranteed based on the treatment/procedure and may vary from patient to patient, based on multiple factors, including genetics and lifestyle of each patient.*
Please note that the Medicine Act, 1991, Part II: Advertising Regulations restricts and regulates advertising by physicians in Ontario. Compliance with these regulations restricts advertising and promotional content. Accordingly, the content of this website is intended for educational and informational purposes only, as the internet is an electronic information system and you are viewing this page unsolicited.
*If you require any further information to learn how our office is fully compliant with Ontario's Personal Health Information Protection Act, please contact us to connect with our Health Information Custodian.