Treating Acne Scars – What Works Best?
When we think of acne, we usually think of puberty and adolescence.
Acne scarring can also be the result of an injury, chicken pox, disease, or stress. Acne scars can be embarrassing because they usually occur on the cheeks and temple areas of our faces and are difficult to camouflage. Dr. Cory Torgerson’s laser centre in Toronto offers a variety of solutions for those looking to treat their acne scars.
Acne Scars Are Further Categorized By Their Shape
Acne falls under the category of atrophic scars, which means they are indented. The blemish or injury has penetrated into the dermis layer of skin, causing the damage to be deep. Acne scars are further categorized by their shape. Ice-pick acne scars are the most common and are named because of the V-shaped holes they cause on the cheeks. Boxed acne scars are square-shaped and can be deep. They are not only found on the cheeks, but also on the temple area. Finally, rolling acne scars cause the skin to have a wave-like texture.
If the acne is caused by blemishes, Dr. Torgerson recommends waiting until they are healed before proceeding with any facial laser therapy. To help reduce acne, he is able to offer medical-grade cleansers and moisturizers that are not available over the counter. Once the blemishes are gone, cosmetic treatments will be more effective.
The goal of people who have acne scarring is to have a smooth, even complexion like everyone else. There are several facial cosmetic procedures that are available to accomplish this. Injectable fillers such as Juvéderm can be injected into the scars, causing them to rise to the same level as the facial surface. This is a quick, affordable method, but it must be repeated every 6 to 12 months.
Even Facial Surface Where The Scars Are Minimized
Correct Minimal Acne Scarring
Laser skin therapy offers advance AFT- IPL laser treatments to correct minimal acne scarring. More aggressive laser procedures such as erbium laser or CO2 fractionated laser are needed when dealing with deeper scars. No matter which laser treatment is chosen, the result is a smoother, more even facial surface where the scars are minimized. Usually, several treatments are needed, but the results of laser skin therapy is long lasting, and the existing acne scars can be eradicated for good.
For deep scarring, surgery may be a practical solution. One surgical procedure called “punch excision” uses a sharp, round tool matching the size of the hole to remove the scar and then pull the edges of the skin together with stitches. Skin grafting can also be performed on deep scars, and when the 2 procedures are combined, it is called “punch grafting”. However, with the advances of laser therapy, these methods are rarely necessary anymore.
Dr. Cory Torgerson is a certified facial plastic surgeon and offers injectable fillers as well as laser skin resurfacing at his private cosmetic clinic in Toronto. After assessing the extent of your acne scars, the team of experts there will be able to suggest the best therapy. This will reward you with a glowing complexion and a beautiful, even texture.
The First Step Of Your Journey Begins With A Conversation
We'll Get Back to You Within 1 Business Day.
Non-Surgical Laser Treatment
- How Does a Toronto CO2 Laser Skin Treatment Work to Beautify Your Complexion?
- Non-Surgical Toronto Laser Skin Treatment Can Turn Back the Clock for Your Skin
- How Can You Tell if a Toronto Laser Skin Treatment Is Right for You?
- The Best Beauty Treatments for Women with Darker Skin
- Laser Treatments for Darker Skin Tones
- Using Laser Treatments To Clear Acne Scars – Here Are Some Important Facts You Should Know
- How To Accomplish Bigger Busts With Laser Breast-Lifting Treatments
- What Do Laser Treatments Cost?
- Using Laser Treatments To Relieve Vaginal Dryness
- Have You Tried the New Non-Surgical Laser Solution for Treating Stress Urinary Incontinence?
- Treating Acne Scars – What Works Best?
- Advantages & Disadvantages of a Laser Face Lift
- Ablative Laser Treatments
- Q&A: AFT – IPL Laser Therapy
- Laser and Acne Scar Removal
- Laser and Tattoo Removal
- Is there a Solution for Acne Scars?
- Benefits of Laser Skin Therapy
- Side Effects of Laser Skin Therapy
- The Purpose of Laser Light
- How To Take Care Of Your Skin After Deep Fractional Laser Treatments
- Laser Therapy for Facial Wrinkles
- IPL (Intense Pulsed Light) – Frequently Asked Questions
- ND-YAG Laser
- Perfect Candidates for Laser Therapy
- Safety Tips if Considering a Laser Treatment
- Best Photorejuvenation Treatments
- Q&A: iPixel Erbium Laser Therapy
- Laser Skin Resurfacing After-Care Tips
- Less Invasive Laser Treatments
- Recovery Time after Laser Skin Therapy
- Non-Surgical Skin Tightening
- Cosmetic Laser Therapy … Is it for You?
- Safety Of Laser Treatments
- Types of Laser Skin Resurfacing
- Cosmetic Laser Treatments
- Risks with Facial Skin Resurfacing
- Pros and Cons of CO2 Laser
- Celebrities and Laser Skin Therapy
- Why is CO2 laser more expensive than AFT laser?
- Preparation for Laser Skin Resurfacing
- Benefits Of Non-Surgical Anti-Aging Laser Treatments For The Body Part 1
- My Experience with Laser Skin Therapy
- Ablative vs. Non-Ablative Lasers
- What Can You Treat With Facial Laser Treatments?
- Treating Acne with CO2
- ClearLift And How It Works
- Differences Between CO2 And Erbium Fractional Laser Treatments
- Laser Tattoo Removal
- Scar Treatments
- What Conditions do Lasers Treat?
- Benefits of Non-Surgical Anti-Aging Laser Treatments For The Body Part 2
- Lasers Vs. Surgery: What’s The Right Choice For You? Part 2
- Lasers Vs. Surgery: What’s The Right Choice For You? Part 1
- Laser Scar Removal and Treatment Info
- Facial Laser Treatments: Frequently Asked Questions
- Complications of Laser Skin Therapy
- Post-Laser Treatment Home Care Instructions
- Five Best Ways to Treat Scars
- How Laser Skin Tightening Works
- What Happens When You Get Laser For Acne Scars?
- Have You Tried Using Laser Skin Treatments To Erase Acne Scars?
- Using Laser Skin Tightening To Reduce Facial Lines And Wrinkles
- Chemical Peels Vs. Laser Treatment: Is One Better Than The Other?
- Commonly Asked Questions About Laser Skin Tightening
- Laser Skin Tightening Treatments: Costs, Risks, And Benefits
- Laser Mole Removal Recovery
- Using Laser Treatments To Clear Acne Scars
- Want To Tighten Loose Skin? Try Laser Skin Tightening Treatments
- Laser Treatments For Acne Scars And Their Benefits
State-Of-The-Art Surgical Facility
Our facility offers a luxurious, comfortable and private setting for consultations and surgery with a waiting room that is both spacious and inviting. Although we hope you don’t have to spend too much time waiting to see Dr. Torgerson, within a few minutes you will feel relaxed and at ease.
*Disclaimer: Similar and/or permanent results are not guaranteed based on the treatment/procedure and may vary from patient to patient, based on multiple factors, including genetics and lifestyle of each patient.*
Please note that the Medicine Act, 1991, Part II: Advertising Regulations restricts and regulates advertising by physicians in Ontario. Compliance with these regulations restricts advertising and promotional content. Accordingly, the content of this website is intended for educational and informational purposes only, as the internet is an electronic information system and you are viewing this page unsolicited.
*If you require any further information to learn how our office is fully compliant with Ontario's Personal Health Information Protection Act, please contact us to connect with our Health Information Custodian.