Q&A: AFT – IPL Laser Therapy
What do all the letters AFT – IPL stand for?
AFT stands for Advanced Fluorescence Technology, and IPL stands for Intense Pulsed Light. IPL laser treatments have been offered since the mid-1990s, and AFT laser therapy is an advanced, next generation of IPL laser therapy. It is also known as a photo facial or photo rejuvenation.
What are the skin conditions that AFT laser therapy treats?
AFT laser is excellent for tightening superficial wrinkles such as crow’s feet and lines around the mouth. It is also effective at minimizing acne scars and spider veins and treating pigmentation concerns and sun damage.
What type of laser is used in AFT?
Low-energy light with many wavelengths is pulsed below the skin’s surface into the tissue below. IPL uses broadband pulsed light, and AFT laser technology uses fluorescent pulsed light. A special spectrum filtering system is incorporated to equally distribute the light and heat.
Is this type of laser safe?
IPL laser treatment has been available for many years. AFT laser therapy is an improved form of Intense Pulse Light. The result is a more powerful IPL, but a safer method because, as mentioned earlier, the heat is apportioned evenly throughout the skin cells, therefore eliminating any hot spots.
How does this laser work on the skin?
The laser beam heats up the skin cells below the surface, causing friction in the blood vessels and nerve endings. As these heal, the skin is left smoother with a better texture. The heat also kickstarts collagen to produce and rebuild the skin cells.
Does the treatment hurt?
Patients will feel a zap to their skin whenever the laser light is administered. A topical numbing agent lathered on the face prior to treatment will minimize any discomfort. Dr. Cory Torgerson also advises that Tylenol or Advil be taken an hour ahead of the session. If you are nervous about the pain level, freezing the face is possible, if necessary.
How long does the session last?
An AFT – IPL session is completed in approximately 30 minutes. Dr. Torgerson’s laser clinic will recommend a treatment package of 3 to 4 sessions spaced approximately 4 weeks apart for optimal results.
How long does recovery take? Will I have to book time off work?
AFT is considered non-invasive, so there is no need to take time off of work. Your skin may feel a little tight after treatment, and it may look slightly pink for 2 to 3 days.
Will I notice immediate change in my skin?
Immediately following AFT laser therapy, you will notice that your skin is smoother and the texture has improved significantly. Because this type of treatment deals with the underlying skin cells and kickstarts collagen reproduction, you will notice continued improvement in the days and weeks following this procedure.
Is AFT – IPL a one-time laser therapy treatment?
Although improvements will be evident after one procedure, it is recommended that 2 to 4 laser sessions booked a month apart will provide maximum benefit. This is especially the case if you are targeting acne scar removal or brown aging spots.
How much does this procedure cost?
We’re happy to provide you with a quote. Please contact our office for current, up-to-date pricing and packaging specials.
Dr. Torgerson offers several types of laser skin resurfacing at his Yorkville cosmetic laser centre. To determine whether AFT – IPL is the best laser therapy for your skin, it is necessary to book a private consultation. You can then be able to express your concerns and the goals you wish to achieve with laser treatments. Why not call and make an appointment today? It’s your first step to a fresh, rejuvenated complexion!
The First Step Of Your Journey Begins With A Conversation
We'll Get Back to You Within 1 Business Day.
Non-Surgical Laser Treatment
- How Does a Toronto CO2 Laser Skin Treatment Work to Beautify Your Complexion?
- Non-Surgical Toronto Laser Skin Treatment Can Turn Back the Clock for Your Skin
- How Can You Tell if a Toronto Laser Skin Treatment Is Right for You?
- The Best Beauty Treatments for Women with Darker Skin
- Laser Treatments for Darker Skin Tones
- Using Laser Treatments To Clear Acne Scars – Here Are Some Important Facts You Should Know
- How To Accomplish Bigger Busts With Laser Breast-Lifting Treatments
- What Do Laser Treatments Cost?
- Using Laser Treatments To Relieve Vaginal Dryness
- Have You Tried the New Non-Surgical Laser Solution for Treating Stress Urinary Incontinence?
- Treating Acne Scars – What Works Best?
- Advantages & Disadvantages of a Laser Face Lift
- Ablative Laser Treatments
- Q&A: AFT – IPL Laser Therapy
- Laser and Acne Scar Removal
- Laser and Tattoo Removal
- Is there a Solution for Acne Scars?
- Benefits of Laser Skin Therapy
- Side Effects of Laser Skin Therapy
- The Purpose of Laser Light
- How To Take Care Of Your Skin After Deep Fractional Laser Treatments
- Laser Therapy for Facial Wrinkles
- IPL (Intense Pulsed Light) – Frequently Asked Questions
- ND-YAG Laser
- Perfect Candidates for Laser Therapy
- Safety Tips if Considering a Laser Treatment
- Best Photorejuvenation Treatments
- Q&A: iPixel Erbium Laser Therapy
- Laser Skin Resurfacing After-Care Tips
- Less Invasive Laser Treatments
- Recovery Time after Laser Skin Therapy
- Non-Surgical Skin Tightening
- Cosmetic Laser Therapy … Is it for You?
- Safety Of Laser Treatments
- Types of Laser Skin Resurfacing
- Cosmetic Laser Treatments
- Risks with Facial Skin Resurfacing
- Pros and Cons of CO2 Laser
- Celebrities and Laser Skin Therapy
- Why is CO2 laser more expensive than AFT laser?
- Preparation for Laser Skin Resurfacing
- Benefits Of Non-Surgical Anti-Aging Laser Treatments For The Body Part 1
- My Experience with Laser Skin Therapy
- Ablative vs. Non-Ablative Lasers
- What Can You Treat With Facial Laser Treatments?
- Treating Acne with CO2
- ClearLift And How It Works
- Differences Between CO2 And Erbium Fractional Laser Treatments
- Laser Tattoo Removal
- Scar Treatments
- What Conditions do Lasers Treat?
- Benefits of Non-Surgical Anti-Aging Laser Treatments For The Body Part 2
- Lasers Vs. Surgery: What’s The Right Choice For You? Part 2
- Lasers Vs. Surgery: What’s The Right Choice For You? Part 1
- Laser Scar Removal and Treatment Info
- Facial Laser Treatments: Frequently Asked Questions
- Complications of Laser Skin Therapy
- Post-Laser Treatment Home Care Instructions
- Five Best Ways to Treat Scars
- How Laser Skin Tightening Works
- What Happens When You Get Laser For Acne Scars?
- Have You Tried Using Laser Skin Treatments To Erase Acne Scars?
- Using Laser Skin Tightening To Reduce Facial Lines And Wrinkles
- Chemical Peels Vs. Laser Treatment: Is One Better Than The Other?
- Commonly Asked Questions About Laser Skin Tightening
- Laser Skin Tightening Treatments: Costs, Risks, And Benefits
- Laser Mole Removal Recovery
- Using Laser Treatments To Clear Acne Scars
- Want To Tighten Loose Skin? Try Laser Skin Tightening Treatments
- Laser Treatments For Acne Scars And Their Benefits
State-Of-The-Art Surgical Facility
Our facility offers a luxurious, comfortable and private setting for consultations and surgery with a waiting room that is both spacious and inviting. Although we hope you don’t have to spend too much time waiting to see Dr. Torgerson, within a few minutes you will feel relaxed and at ease.
*Disclaimer: Similar and/or permanent results are not guaranteed based on the treatment/procedure and may vary from patient to patient, based on multiple factors, including genetics and lifestyle of each patient.*
Please note that the Medicine Act, 1991, Part II: Advertising Regulations restricts and regulates advertising by physicians in Ontario. Compliance with these regulations restricts advertising and promotional content. Accordingly, the content of this website is intended for educational and informational purposes only, as the internet is an electronic information system and you are viewing this page unsolicited.
*If you require any further information to learn how our office is fully compliant with Ontario's Personal Health Information Protection Act, please contact us to connect with our Health Information Custodian.