IPL (Intense Pulsed Light) – Frequently Asked Questions
IPL is another term used for AFT laser treatments.
AFT is the new generation of IPL laser technology, which selectively targets skin irregularities through the application of photothermolysis (see next question) into the dermis. Although it can be used on most areas of the body, at Dr. Torgerson’s Cosmetic Laser Clinic, IPL laser treatments are used to correct various conditions on the skin of the face, neck, décolleté, and hands.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Is Photothermolysis?
Photo – refers to the absorption of light (PHOTONS) in pigments in the skin such as melanin
Thermo – pertains to the transformation of absorbed light into heat (THERMO)
Lysis – is the description of the destruction of the target cells caused by high temperatures
What Conditions Can IPL Treatments Treat?
– sun spots
– brown spots
– broken blood vessels and veins
– fine lines
How Do IPL Treatments Improve The Above-Mentioned Skin Conditions?
– removing sunspots by lightening the darkened pigments areas
– lightening age spots commonly seen on mature skin
– reducing and removing brown spots on the face and neck and hands (the skin most exposed to sunlight)
– lightening and lowering redness, rosacea, dilated blood vessels, and “broken” blood vessels on the face, neck, and chest
– help manage skin flushing
– improving skin quality and texture
– stimulating collagen
– reducing wrinkles and fine lines
– reducing pore size and decreasing oil production in the pores and skin
Who Can Receive IPL Treatments?
– Prolonged exposure to direct sun-damaged skin that looks blotchy and discoloured
– Large pores
– Skin laxity
– Dark blemishes
Patients with dark or heavily tanned skin can sometimes be subject to complications following IPL treatments. A consultation with one of our qualified professionals is the best way to determine whether you are a good candidate for IPL photofacial treatments.
Are IPL Treatments Painful?
Is There Post-Treatment After-Care Instructions Associated With IPL?
– No sun tanning outside or inside
– No hot baths or showers
– No wet or dry sauna use
– No swimming in chlorinated pools, hot tubs, and spas
– No perfumed lotions or soaps on the treated skin
– No AHA, glycolic, salicylic, or depilatory creams on the treated area
Dr. Torgerson and his knowledgeable staff can provide you with more details on the post-treatment instructions and guidelines to follow after IPL treatments so you can end up with beautiful, long-lasting results. If you are interested in IPL treatments, contact our office to book your consultation to receive your skin analysis and treatment plan options.
The First Step Of Your Journey Begins With A Conversation
We'll Get Back to You Within 1 Business Day.
Non-Surgical Laser Treatment
- Why is CO2 laser more expensive than AFT laser?
- Preparation for Laser Skin Resurfacing
- Laser Skin Resurfacing After-Care Tips
- Laser Scar Removal and Treatment Info
- Q&A: AFT – IPL Laser Therapy
- ND-YAG Laser
- Less Invasive Laser Treatments
- How Can You Tell if a Toronto Laser Skin Treatment Is Right for You?
- Using Laser Treatments To Relieve Vaginal Dryness
- Treating Acne with CO2
- Safety of Laser Treatments
- Non-Surgical Toronto Laser Skin Treatment Can Turn Back the Clock for Your Skin
- Non-Surgical Skin Tightening
- Laser Tattoo Removal
- IPL (Intense Pulsed Light) – Frequently Asked Questions
- How To Take Care Of Your Skin After Deep Fractional Laser Treatments
- How To Accomplish Bigger Busts With Laser Breast-Lifting Treatments
- How Does a Toronto CO2 Laser Skin Treatment Work to Beautify Your Complexion?
- Have You Tried the New Non-Surgical Laser Solution for Treating Stress Urinary Incontinence?
- CO2 Laser Resurfacing – Why Do the Before and After Results Keep It in High Demand?
- Celebrities and Laser Skin Therapy
- What Do Laser Treatments Cost?
- What Can You Treat With Facial Laser Treatments?
- Side Effects of Laser Skin Therapy
- What Conditions do Lasers Treat?
- What Happens When You Get Laser For Acne Scars?
- Want To Tighten Loose Skin? Try Laser Skin Tightening Treatments
- Using Laser Treatments To Clear Acne Scars
- Using Laser Skin Tightening To Reduce Facial Lines And Wrinkles
- Using Laser Treatments To Clear Acne Scars – Here Are Some Important Facts You Should Know
- Types of Laser Skin Resurfacing
- Treating Acne Scars – What Works Best?
- The Purpose of Laser Light
- The Best Beauty Treatments for Women with Darker Skin
- Safety Tips if Considering a Laser Treatment
- Scar Treatments
- Risks with Facial Skin Resurfacing
- Post-Laser Treatment Home Care Instructions
- Q&A: iPixel Erbium Laser Therapy
- Pros and Cons of CO2 Laser
- Recovery Time after Laser Skin Therapy
- Perfect Candidates for Laser Therapy
- My Experience with Laser Skin Therapy
- Laser Treatments For Acne Scars And Their Benefits
- Laser Skin Tightening Treatments: Costs, Risks, And Benefits
- Lasers Vs. Surgery: What’s The Right Choice For You? Part 1
- Laser Treatments for Darker Skin Tones
- Lasers Vs. Surgery: What’s The Right Choice For You? Part 2
- Laser Therapy for Facial Wrinkles
- Is there a Solution for Acne Scars?
- Laser Mole Removal Recovery
- Laser and Acne Scar Removal
- Laser and Tattoo Removal
- How Laser Skin Tightening Works
- Have You Tried Using Laser Skin Treatments To Erase Acne Scars?
- Five Best Ways to Treat Scars
- Facial Laser Treatments: Frequently Asked Questions
- Cosmetic Laser Treatments
- Cosmetic Laser Therapy … Is it for You?
- Differences Between CO2 And Erbium Fractional Laser Treatments
- Complications of Laser Skin Therapy
- Commonly Asked Questions About Laser Skin Tightening
- Chemical Peels Vs. Laser Treatment: Is One Better Than The Other?
- ClearLift And How It Works
- Best Photorejuvenation Treatments
- Benefits of Non-Surgical Anti-Aging Laser Treatments For The Body Part 2
- Benefits Of Non-Surgical Anti-Aging Laser Treatments For The Body Part 1
- Benefits of Laser Skin Therapy
- Advantages & Disadvantages of a Laser Face Lift
- Ablative Laser Treatments
- Ablative vs. Non-Ablative Lasers
State-Of-The-Art Surgical Facility
Our facility offers a luxurious, comfortable and private setting for consultations and surgery with a waiting room that is both spacious and inviting. Although we hope you don’t have to spend too much time waiting to see Dr. Torgerson, within a few minutes you will feel relaxed and at ease.
*Disclaimer: Similar and/or permanent results are not guaranteed based on the treatment/procedure and may vary from patient to patient, based on multiple factors, including genetics and lifestyle of each patient.*
Please note that the Medicine Act, 1991, Part II: Advertising Regulations restricts and regulates advertising by physicians in Ontario. Compliance with these regulations restricts advertising and promotional content. Accordingly, the content of this website is intended for educational and informational purposes only, as the internet is an electronic information system and you are viewing this page unsolicited.
*If you require any further information to learn how our office is fully compliant with Ontario's Personal Health Information Protection Act, please contact us to connect with our Health Information Custodian.