IPL (Intense Pulsed Light) – Frequently Asked Questions
IPL is another term used for AFT laser treatments.
AFT is the new generation of IPL laser technology, which selectively targets skin irregularities through the application of photothermolysis (see next question) into the dermis. Although it can be used on most areas of the body, at Dr. Torgerson’s Cosmetic Laser Clinic, IPL laser treatments are used to correct various conditions on the skin of the face, neck, décolleté, and hands.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Is Photothermolysis?
To better understand what photothermolysis means, it can be broken down to three segments:
Photo – refers to the absorption of light (PHOTONS) in pigments in the skin such as melanin
Thermo – pertains to the transformation of absorbed light into heat (THERMO)
Lysis – is the description of the destruction of the target cells caused by high temperatures
What Conditions Can IPL Treatments Treat?
IPL treatments can target numerous skin conditions such as
– sun spots
– brown spots
– broken blood vessels and veins
– fine lines
How Do IPL Treatments Improve The Above-Mentioned Skin Conditions?
Photorejuvenation with IPL treatments is an effective way to eliminate or reduce pigmentation in the skin of the face, neck, chest, hand, and most other areas on the body. IPL works by
– removing sunspots by lightening the darkened pigments areas
– lightening age spots commonly seen on mature skin
– reducing and removing brown spots on the face and neck and hands (the skin most exposed to sunlight)
– lightening and lowering redness, rosacea, dilated blood vessels, and “broken” blood vessels on the face, neck, and chest
– help manage skin flushing
– improving skin quality and texture
– stimulating collagen
– reducing wrinkles and fine lines
– reducing pore size and decreasing oil production in the pores and skin
Who Can Receive IPL Treatments?
IPL photofacial treatments can substantially improve skin quality in people who have the following symptoms:
– Prolonged exposure to direct sun-damaged skin that looks blotchy and discoloured
– Large pores
– Skin laxity
– Dark blemishes
Patients with dark or heavily tanned skin can sometimes be subject to complications following IPL treatments. A complimentary consultation with one of our qualified professionals is the best way to determine whether you are a good candidate for IPL photofacial treatments.
Are IPL Treatments Painful?
IPL treatments are delivered with the sensation of heat from the hand piece, which is operated by your technician. Patients can expect to feel a short, quick zap of energy to the treated area. The sensation is that of a light snap from a rubber band. IPL treatments cause very little discomfort and are usually tolerated very well.
Is There Post-Treatment After-Care Instructions Associated With IPL?
The recovery from IPL treatments is very short and quick, as there was minimal damage caused to the skin during the treatment. The following are precautionary recommendations following IPL treatments:
– No sun tanning outside or inside
– No hot baths or showers
– No wet or dry sauna use
– No swimming in chlorinated pools, hot tubs, and spas
– No perfumed lotions or soaps on the treated skin
– No AHA, glycolic, salicylic, or depilatory creams on the treated area
Dr. Torgerson and his knowledgeable staff can provide you with more details on the post-treatment instructions and guidelines to follow after IPL treatments so you can end up with beautiful, long-lasting results. If you are interested in IPL treatments, contact our office to book your complimentary consultation to receive your skin analysis and treatment plan options.
The First Step Of Your Journey Begins With A Conversation
We'll Get Back to You Within 1 Business Day.
Non-Surgical Laser Treatment
- Types of Laser Skin Resurfacing
- Safety Tips if Considering a Laser Treatment
- Q&A: iPixel Erbium Laser Therapy
- Pros and Cons of CO2 Laser
- Preparation for Laser Skin Resurfacing
- ND-YAG Laser
- IPL (Intense Pulsed Light) – Frequently Asked Questions
- Cosmetic Laser Treatments
- Complications of Laser Skin Therapy
- Benefits of Laser Skin Therapy
- How Does a Toronto CO2 Laser Skin Treatment Work to Beautify Your Complexion?
- Non-Surgical Toronto Laser Skin Treatment Can Turn Back the Clock for Your Skin
- How Can You Tell if a Toronto Laser Skin Treatment Is Right for You?
- The Best Beauty Treatments for Women with Darker Skin
- Laser Treatments for Darker Skin Tones
- Using Laser Treatments To Clear Acne Scars – Here Are Some Important Facts You Should Know
- How To Accomplish Bigger Busts With Laser Breast-Lifting Treatments
- What Do Laser Treatments Cost?
- Using Laser Treatments To Relieve Vaginal Dryness
- Have You Tried the New Non-Surgical Laser Solution for Treating Stress Urinary Incontinence?
- Treating Acne Scars – What Works Best?
- Advantages & Disadvantages of a Laser Face Lift
- Ablative Laser Treatments
- Q&A: AFT – IPL Laser Therapy
- Laser and Acne Scar Removal
- Laser and Tattoo Removal
- Is there a Solution for Acne Scars?
- Side Effects of Laser Skin Therapy
- The Purpose of Laser Light
- How To Take Care Of Your Skin After Deep Fractional Laser Treatments
- Laser Therapy for Facial Wrinkles
- Perfect Candidates for Laser Therapy
- Best Photorejuvenation Treatments
- Laser Skin Resurfacing After-Care Tips
- Less Invasive Laser Treatments
- Recovery Time after Laser Skin Therapy
- Non-Surgical Skin Tightening
- Cosmetic Laser Therapy … Is it for You?
- Safety Of Laser Treatments
- Risks with Facial Skin Resurfacing
- Celebrities and Laser Skin Therapy
- Why is CO2 laser more expensive than AFT laser?
- Benefits Of Non-Surgical Anti-Aging Laser Treatments For The Body Part 1
- My Experience with Laser Skin Therapy
- Ablative vs. Non-Ablative Lasers
- What Can You Treat With Facial Laser Treatments?
- Treating Acne with CO2
- ClearLift And How It Works
- Differences Between CO2 And Erbium Fractional Laser Treatments
- Laser Tattoo Removal
- Scar Treatments
- What Conditions do Lasers Treat?
- Benefits of Non-Surgical Anti-Aging Laser Treatments For The Body Part 2
- Lasers Vs. Surgery: What’s The Right Choice For You? Part 2
- Lasers Vs. Surgery: What’s The Right Choice For You? Part 1
- Laser Scar Removal and Treatment Info
- Facial Laser Treatments: Frequently Asked Questions
- Post-Laser Treatment Home Care Instructions
- Five Best Ways to Treat Scars
- How Laser Skin Tightening Works
- What Happens When You Get Laser For Acne Scars?
- Have You Tried Using Laser Skin Treatments To Erase Acne Scars?
- Using Laser Skin Tightening To Reduce Facial Lines And Wrinkles
- Chemical Peels Vs. Laser Treatment: Is One Better Than The Other?
- Commonly Asked Questions About Laser Skin Tightening
- Laser Skin Tightening Treatments: Costs, Risks, And Benefits
- Laser Mole Removal Recovery
- Using Laser Treatments To Clear Acne Scars
- Want To Tighten Loose Skin? Try Laser Skin Tightening Treatments
- Laser Treatments For Acne Scars And Their Benefits
State-Of-The-Art Surgical Facility
Our facility offers a luxurious, comfortable and private setting for consultations and surgery with a waiting room that is both spacious and inviting. Although we hope you don’t have to spend too much time waiting to see Dr. Torgerson, within a few minutes you will feel relaxed and at ease.
*Disclaimer: Similar and/or permanent results are not guaranteed based on the treatment/procedure and may vary from patient to patient, based on multiple factors, including genetics and lifestyle of each patient.*
Please note that the Medicine Act, 1991, Part II: Advertising Regulations restricts and regulates advertising by physicians in Ontario. Compliance with these regulations restricts advertising and promotional content. Accordingly, the content of this website is intended for educational and informational purposes only, as the internet is an electronic information system and you are viewing this page unsolicited.
*If you require any further information to learn how our office is fully compliant with Ontario's Personal Health Information Protection Act, please contact us to connect with our Health Information Custodian.