Laser and Tattoo Removal
There are many reasons a person gets a tattoo. It may be to express their undying love to a partner or prove their commitment to an organization.
Circumstances change, and life moves on, creating the need to remove the symbol or name from your body. But that creates a huge problem, because the tattoo is etched into your skin. Although you may have thought you would always want it to be a part of your anatomy, you now want it removed. What can be done? Thanks to laser and the technology of skin resurfacing, tattoos can actually be removed.
Tattoos Are Dyes Inserted Into The Skin
Breaking Down The Ink
Laser emerged in the medical arena during the 1950’s. In 1962, Dr. Leon Goldman used the heat from CO2 laser beams to remove an unwanted tattoo from a patient. This opened up the possibilities that laser could offer to the cosmetic industry. Private cosmetic and laser centres like Dr. Cory Torgerson’s in downtown Toronto are now able to offer laser skin resurfacing to clients who want tattoos, acne scars, and wrinkles removed, thanks to the laser pioneer, Dr. Leon Goldman!
Tattoos are dyes inserted into the skin. The dye is injected with tiny needles right through the epidermis, completely saturating the skin cells they contact. Because of this, to remove the tattoo it is necessary to have a laser beam that is powerful enough to reach to the same depth as the ink. The heat breaks down the ink particles, which are then absorbed into the body through the lymphatic system. Only ablative laser beams are invasive enough to remove the layers of skin that the ink has permeated.
Since 2006, the development in lasers that use multiple wavelengths have proven to be more effective. Q-switch “pulsed” laser light was the preferred method for tattoo removal. New advancements such as the Picosure now create a faster removal process than ever before.
Follow Dr. Torgerson’s After-Care Instructions Carefully
Excellent Safety Record
High-powered, carbon dioxide infared laser beams heat the top layers of skin to approximately 100 degrees, causing the damaged skin to vaporize and flake off. A new, fresh layer of skin is exposed, and the ink is metabolized by the body slowly but surely, fading with each treatment. During the 1980’s and 1990’s, CO2 laser caused side effects such as skin discoloration (called dyspigmentation), swelling (called erythema), eczema, excess scarring, and in some cases, infection. Great advancements have been made over the last decade with this type of laser therapy, and now the heat is delivered in a pulsed, more controlled manner, causing less thermal damage. The laser is also fractional, which means that it is necessary to treat only a fraction of the skin surface at a time to achieve the same results. When operated by an expert from a reputable laser clinic, laser tattoo removal now has an excellent safety record with little or no side effects.
Because tattoo removal is invasive, it is necessary to follow Dr. Torgerson’s after-care instructions carefully, as the new skin that has been revealed is very sensitive. Proper cleansing of the site and administration of the special cream prescribed is essential to ensure optimum results. When a patient receives a laser tattoo removal treatment, it is recommended that the tattoo remain covered and out of direct sunlight for a time so that the healing process can take place. Depending on where the tattoo is located, this can be an added consideration for tattoo removal.
Yellow and green dyes are the most difficult colours to target, so several sessions four to six weeks apart may be necessary to completely remove them. Booking a consultation at our Toronto laser centre is the best way to determine how many sessions you would need to remove your unwanted tattoo.
The First Step Of Your Journey Begins With A Conversation
We'll Get Back to You Within 1 Business Day.
Non-Surgical Laser Treatment
- Ablative Laser Treatments
- Ablative vs. Non-Ablative Lasers
- Advantages & Disadvantages of a Laser Face Lift
- Benefits of Laser Skin Therapy
- Benefits Of Non-Surgical Anti-Aging Laser Treatments For The Body Part 1
- Benefits of Non-Surgical Anti-Aging Laser Treatments For The Body Part 2
- Best Photorejuvenation Treatments
- Celebrities and Laser Skin Therapy
- Chemical Peels Vs. Laser Treatment: Is One Better Than The Other?
- ClearLift And How It Works
- CO2 Laser Resurfacing – Why Do the Before and After Results Keep It in High Demand?
- Commonly Asked Questions About Laser Skin Tightening
- Complications of Laser Skin Therapy
- Cosmetic Laser Therapy … Is it for You?
- Cosmetic Laser Treatments
- Differences Between CO2 And Erbium Fractional Laser Treatments
- Facial Laser Treatments: Frequently Asked Questions
- Five Best Ways to Treat Scars
- Have You Tried the New Non-Surgical Laser Solution for Treating Stress Urinary Incontinence?
- Have You Tried Using Laser Skin Treatments To Erase Acne Scars?
- How Can You Tell if a Toronto Laser Skin Treatment Is Right for You?
- How Does a Toronto CO2 Laser Skin Treatment Work to Beautify Your Complexion?
- How Laser Skin Tightening Works
- How To Accomplish Bigger Busts With Laser Breast-Lifting Treatments
- How To Take Care Of Your Skin After Deep Fractional Laser Treatments
- IPL (Intense Pulsed Light) – Frequently Asked Questions
- Is there a Solution for Acne Scars?
- Laser and Acne Scar Removal
- Laser and Tattoo Removal
- Laser Mole Removal Recovery
- Laser Scar Removal and Treatment Info
- Laser Skin Resurfacing After-Care Tips
- Laser Skin Tightening Treatments: Costs, Risks, And Benefits
- Laser Tattoo Removal
- Laser Therapy for Facial Wrinkles
- Laser Treatments For Acne Scars And Their Benefits
- Laser Treatments for Darker Skin Tones
- Lasers Vs. Surgery: What’s The Right Choice For You? Part 1
- Lasers Vs. Surgery: What’s The Right Choice For You? Part 2
- Less Invasive Laser Treatments
- My Experience with Laser Skin Therapy
- ND-YAG Laser
- Non-Surgical Skin Tightening
- Non-Surgical Toronto Laser Skin Treatment Can Turn Back the Clock for Your Skin
- Perfect Candidates for Laser Therapy
- Post-Laser Treatment Home Care Instructions
- Preparation for Laser Skin Resurfacing
- Pros and Cons of CO2 Laser
- Q&A: AFT – IPL Laser Therapy
- Q&A: iPixel Erbium Laser Therapy
- Recovery Time after Laser Skin Therapy
- Risks with Facial Skin Resurfacing
- Safety of Laser Treatments
- Safety Tips if Considering a Laser Treatment
- Scar Treatments
- Side Effects of Laser Skin Therapy
- The Best Beauty Treatments for Women with Darker Skin
- The Purpose of Laser Light
- Treating Acne Scars – What Works Best?
- Treating Acne with CO2
- Types of Laser Skin Resurfacing
- Using Laser Skin Tightening To Reduce Facial Lines And Wrinkles
- Using Laser Treatments To Clear Acne Scars
- Using Laser Treatments To Clear Acne Scars – Here Are Some Important Facts You Should Know
- Using Laser Treatments To Relieve Vaginal Dryness
- Want To Tighten Loose Skin? Try Laser Skin Tightening Treatments
- What Can You Treat With Facial Laser Treatments?
- What Conditions do Lasers Treat?
- What Do Laser Treatments Cost?
- What Happens When You Get Laser For Acne Scars?
- Why is CO2 laser more expensive than AFT laser?
State-Of-The-Art Surgical Facility
Our facility offers a luxurious, comfortable and private setting for consultations and surgery with a waiting room that is both spacious and inviting. Although we hope you don’t have to spend too much time waiting to see Dr. Torgerson, within a few minutes you will feel relaxed and at ease.