– Ideal for mild to moderate acne on the face and body, not effective for severe cystic acne
– Works by killing bacteria, acting like sponge by absorbing the oil out of the clogged pores
– Traditional old way to treat other skin conditions like eczema and psoriasis
– Works better as a foaming wash instead of topically applied to the skin
– Particularly effective in treating acne on Asian skin because Asian skin produces only one kind of melanin pigment, whereas other types produce 2 or 3
– Contains acid from vitamin A, called tretinoin or all-trans retinoic acid (ATRA)
– Retin-A is also used in chemical peels and anti-ageing products – Decreases severity of pimples and promotes the healing of acne pimples – Affects the growth cycles of pimples
– Initial phases of using this product can make the skin appear worse, and full benefits can be seen at around 12 weeks These are the more common ingredients found in acne topical treatments. However, there are a range of other products that can assist in the healing of acne pimples.
Other common alternative ingredients include resorcinol which help break down blackheads and whiteheads and azelaic acid which strengthens cells in the lining of the pores and provides a reduction in bacterial growth. Natural methods like applying face masks that contain all-natural ingredients like lemon, avocados, apple cidre, baking soda, salts, and sugars also assist in clearing up problematic skin.
Acne is treatable, and individual treatments with a dermatologist/plastic surgeon are sometimes necessary to heal the skin from the inside out. If persistent acne is not responsive to typical remedies, then contacting a professional would be the prompt way to deal with acne. Acne affects millions of people across the globe, and some are unaware of other technologies that have been developed in the aesthetics market specifically to target acne prone skin.
Dr. Torgerson offers laser skin therapy for those who want to treat their acne and correct scarring that acne may have left on the skin. Some of the treatments available include advanced AFT-IPL laser treatments for minimal scarring, CO2 fractional laser for more aggressive conditions, and microdermabrasion with SilkPeel facial treatment to promote the growth of healthy new skin cells.
Patients with deep scarring may benefit from surgery because it can eliminate the deep tissue scars that may not respond to medications or laser treatments. A complimentary skin assessment consultation with Dr. Torgerson is a great way for patients to recognize the treatment options available to them to help control and eliminate their acne for good.