A top priority at Dr. Cory Torgerson Facial Cosmetic Surgery is to ensure our patients are safe and comfortable as possible during any procedures that they undergo.
Also, because patients are often understandably concerned about pain they might experience, we provide all the information they need about anaesthesia.
All surgical procedures are conducted under some type of anaesthesia, which limits or blocks sensations temporarily.
Before undergoing surgery, it’s important for patients to understand various types of anaesthesia, their administration, and related effects. Some patients may feel uneasy about anaesthesia because they’ve heard about risks associated with it. While there are still some risks, advances in medical technology and techniques have reduced them dramatically in recent years.
The type of anesthesia you’ll receive may be based on the type of surgery or procedure to be performed. Your age, general health, or any specific medical condition will also be considered. Dr. Torgerson will review all available options with you during your consultation and explain the risks and benefits in a pre-operative consent-signing appointment.
General anaesthesia is administered during surgery that requires lengthier OR time, or for procedures that are more invasive.
It may also be used if the patient is a child. GA results in a controlled unconsciousness state and may require respiratory support.
General Anaesthesia is given through Intravenous fluid and gas is usually administered for the patient to breathe in before falling asleep. Since general anaesthesia does carry some risks, the patient will be closely monitored by an anaesthesiologist throughout the procedure. General Anaesthesia is used for Facelifts, most Rhinoplasty surgeries, brow lifts, neck lifts, and chin implant surgery.
Patients are monitored regularly for heart rate, temperature, blood pressure, circulation, and ventilation in order to prevent complications. Dr. Torgerson’s team of Medical Professionals includes top qualified and experienced anaesthesiologists. All staff are registered with their respective Ontario Government regulatory bodies, and all of their qualifications are updated on a yearly basis.
Regional anaesthesia is given to numb or block the nerve impulses of a comparatively larger area in comparison to the local area. However, unlike general anaesthesia, it does not cause the patient to go to sleep.
Conscious Sedation is most commonly used for procedures such as blepharoplasty (eyelid surgery), where it is important for the patient to still be able to respond (i.e. move their eyes) but not feel any pain. There is an altered level of consciousness associated with this type of anesthesia due to the fact that most patients will not remember the time period in which the procedure was performed.
Local anaesthesia, as the name suggests, is given to numb a local or specific area to prevent pain during surgery. The patient remains awake and conscious under the effect of local anaesthesia and knows what’s going on around them. This is a very safe form of anaesthesia administered in low amounts, and has very little risk associated with it. It can be administered through an injection, given in the form of spray, or applied as an ointment. This is more commonly used for non-surgical, non-invasive procedures such as laser treatments, Botox, and dermal filler injections. Local anaesthesia is almost always used for straightforward minor surgery such as mole removal.
Which Anesthesia Will Be Used For My Procedure?
The type of anesthesia used for your cosmetic surgery will depend on what procedure you’re having done. Other factors such as age and any health conditions may also play a role in determining the best form of anaesthesia to use. This is something that Dr. Torgerson will discuss with you during your consultation and as you prepare for your procedure. Generally speaking, a local anaesthesia is used for all non-surgical cosmetic treatments.
If you require a general anaesthesia for a facial plastic surgery procedure, rest assured that your safety is our top priority at all times. We will do our best to explain every detail to you beforehand by giving you a Surgical Package that outlines what to expect in greater detail. You’ll also have the opportunity to discuss the details in person with Dr. Torgerson at your pre-operative appointment.
Following surgery, Dr. Torgerson provides all surgical patients with his personal contact information so they’re able to contact him at any time if questions arise.
The First Step Of Your Journey Begins With A Conversation
We'll Get Back to You Within 1 Business Day.
- 3 Must-Have Toronto Facial Cosmetic Surgery Maintenance Tips
- 5 Essential Questions To Ask Your Cosmetic Surgeon In Toronto
- 5 Helpful Ways to Know If You’re a Great Candidate for Toronto Facial Cosmetic Surgery
- 5 of The Most Popular Reasons To See A Cosmetic Surgeon in Toronto
- 5 Things To Consider When Choosing a Cosmetic Surgeon In Toronto
- A Look Into Popular Cosmetic Procedures In Asia
- Advice From a Toronto Plastic Surgeon | Will Plastic Surgery Make You Happier?
- Afraid of Plastic Surgery?
- Are Cosmetic Surgery and Plastic Surgery the Same?
- Can You Wear Makeup After Cosmetic Surgery?
- Choosing the Best Cosmetic Surgeon in Toronto
- Do Plastic Surgeons Turn Down Patients with Unrealistic Expectations?
- Do Your Homework When Considering A Cosmetic Surgeon In Toronto
- Does Your Cosmetic Surgery Call for A Do-Over?
- Don’t Get Scammed – What to Look for When Choosing a Facial Plastic Surgeon
- Facial Contouring Surgery – Find Out How Small Adjustments Can Transform Your Life
- Facial Cosmetic Surgery in Toronto Can Have Barely Any Scars
- Facial Cosmetic Surgery in Toronto Has Advanced in Surprising Ways
- Facial Cosmetic Surgery is More Popular Than Ever!
- Factors Predicting Satisfaction Among Patients Seeking Facial Cosmetic Surgery
- Factors You Haven’t Considered Before Choosing Your Plastic Surgeon
- Find a Plastic Surgeon in Toronto- Here’s What to Look For
- How Can You Properly Take Care of Your Skin After Your Cosmetic Surgery Procedure?
- How Can You Tell if Your Facial Surgeon is Qualified?
- How Does a Facial Plastic Surgeon Avoid Leaving Scars?
- How Will You Know You’re Ready to Meet With a Cosmetic Surgeon in Toronto?
- Learn 2 Ways The Best Plastic Surgeons in Toronto Prevent an “Overdone” Look
- Male Plastic Surgery Toronto
- Men and Plastic Surgery
- Mommy Makeover Craze
- Most Popular Plastic Surgery Procedures
- Plastic Surgeon vs. Cosmetic Surgeon | What’s the Difference?
- Plastic Surgeon vs. Cosmetic Surgeon in Toronto : Four Myths
- Plastic Surgery Tourism
- Popular Male Plastic Surgery Procedures
- Preparing for Plastic Surgery: General Guidelines
- Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
- Revenge Plastic Surgery
- Selecting a Cosmetic Surgeon in Toronto Starts with These 3 Important Things
- Strategies to Avoid Regret and Choose the Best Plastic Surgeon in Toronto for You
- Talking To Your Plastic Surgeon In Toronto: 7 Most Important Questions
- The 5-Part Process Everybody Ought to Know When Working With a Facial Plastic Surgeon
- The Best Plastic Surgeons in Toronto Know These Industry Beauty Secrets to Transform You
- The History of Modern Plastic Surgery
- The Perfect Face
- The Top 5 Reasons For Cosmetic Plastic Surgery
- These Are the Top Consultation Questions to Ask Your Toronto Plastic Surgeon
- Things to Consider Before Choosing Your Plastic Surgeon
- Tips to Know Before Recovering from Your Facial Plastic Surgery
- Too old for Plastic Surgery?
- Top 3 Reasons To Get Plastic Surgery During The Holidays
- Top Five Reasons for Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
- Toronto Cosmetic Surgeons Reveal Insider Advice You Need
- Toronto Facial Cosmetic Surgery – How Can Surgeons Make You Look Younger?
- Toronto Facial Cosmetic Surgery for Men Is More Common Than You Think
- Toronto Plastic Surgeons Use These Two Techniques to Wake Up Tired Eyes
- What Are Some of the Most Popular Plastic Surgery Procedures by Age?
- What Is Gore-Tex?
- What Is The Shelf Life Of Your Cosmetic Surgery Procedure?
- What Season is the Best for Facial Surgery
- What Should Happen at a Consultation with a Plastic Surgeon?
- What To Expect After Plastic Surgery
- When Is The Best Time For Men To See A Plastic Surgeon In Toronto?
- Why You Should See Your Plastic Surgeon When the Weather in Toronto Gets Colder
- Your Role in Maintaining Facial Cosmetic Surgery Results
- Your Toronto Plastic Surgeon Will Ask You These 5 Questions
State-Of-The-Art Surgical Facility
Our facility offers a luxurious, comfortable and private setting for consultations and surgery with a waiting room that is both spacious and inviting. Although we hope you don’t have to spend too much time waiting to see Dr. Torgerson, within a few minutes you will feel relaxed and at ease.