Can You Wear Makeup After Cosmetic Surgery?
Makeup is often an important part of a woman’s daily routine
In fact, many women cannot imagine going a day without it, as they do not feel like themselves without makeup. However, it is important to refrain from wearing makeup after a cosmetic surgery procedure to allow your skin time to heal, to prevent infection, and to minimize the risk of scarring. The following tips will be explained in more detail during your consultation with Dr. Torgerson, one of the most popular Toronto cosmetic surgeons.
The less bacteria introduced to your skin while healing, the better
Allow your skin time to heal
Following your procedure, the incision sites represent a vulnerability in the protective barrier of your skin. As with any other wound, you must keep the incisions clean and be careful not to aggravate them. Applying pressure to your face when putting on or taking off makeup could damage the delicate process of wound healing. Also, many make up removers, creams, and lotions can dissolve the adhesive on steri strips, which are often used to protect incisions.
It is very important to avoid wearing makeup after cosmetic surgery to prevent infection. If make-up is applied too soon after surgery, the wound can become contaminated, which may lead to infection. Frequently, our foundations and other makeup are fairly laden with bacteria, as are makeup brushes, applicators, and our fingers. The less bacteria introduced to your skin while healing, the better.
Minimize the risk of scarring
While scarring is inevitable after a surgical procedure, wearing makeup too soon afterwards can increase the risk of scarring. Wound dehiscence or separation can occur when adhesive strips or sutures are removed too soon. The risk of this is higher when applying substances to the skin. Infections or wound separation can lead to wider, raised, and darker scars.
While it is important to temporarily avoid make up use after any facial cosmetic surgery, the length of time to wait depends on the procedure.
Extensive Study Of Facial Structure And The Skin
After a facelift procedure, makeup should not be applied for 10 to 14 days to allow your tender skin time to heal. When make-up is reintroduced, it should be applied gently to the face. However, in many cases, happy patients are delighted to find that they no longer need as much make up and enjoy showing off their naturally more youthful complexion.
Following a rhinoplasty procedure, it is crucial to avoid applying pressure to your nose for a minimum of 3 weeks, as it will be more delicate during that time. However, any bruising under your eyes can be covered with a concealer or a light foundation the next day. It is safe to apply makeup to other parts of the face as long as you avoid touching your nose or placing anything inside of the nose where incisions are typically placed.
Brow lift/ eyelid surgery
After a browlift or eyelid surgery, it is necessary to wait at least 2 weeks before applying makeup to the treatment area. Although you can wear make up on your lips and cheeks, all eye and brow products such as mascara and eyeliner must be avoided until the area has healed.
Like surgical procedures, skin resurfacing such as chemical peels or laser skin procedures require that special aftercare instructions are followed. Makeup should not be applied to the face until your skin has had time to heal. Healing may take 3 to 7 days, depending on the procedure. When makeup is reintroduced, be sure that it is a gentle, hypoallergenic formulation that will not irritate your skin for the first 3 weeks following your procedure.
Selecting an excellent plastic surgeon for your cosmetic surgery will be your first step toward beautiful results. If you have any questions regarding makeup use after your facial procedure, please contact Dr. Torgerson Facial Plastic Surgery & Laser Centre to schedule a consultation with Dr. Torgerson, a renowned Toronto facial cosmetic surgeon.
The First Step Of Your Journey Begins With A Conversation
We'll Get Back to You Within 1 Business Day.
- Male Plastic Surgery Toronto
- Why You Should See Your Plastic Surgeon When the Weather in Toronto Gets Colder
- What Is The Shelf Life Of Your Cosmetic Surgery Procedure?
- Top Five Reasons for Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
- How Can You Properly Take Care of Your Skin After Your Cosmetic Surgery Procedure?
- Plastic Surgeon vs. Cosmetic Surgeon in Toronto : Four Myths
- Facial Cosmetic Surgery in Toronto Can Have Barely Any Scars
- Strategies to Avoid Regret and Choose the Best Plastic Surgeon in Toronto for You
- How Can You Tell if Your Facial Surgeon is Qualified?
- Your Role in Maintaining Facial Cosmetic Surgery Results
- What Are Some of the Most Popular Plastic Surgery Procedures by Age?
- Top 3 Reasons To Get Plastic Surgery During The Holidays
- Tips to Know Before Recovering from Your Facial Plastic Surgery
- Things to Consider Before Choosing Your Plastic Surgeon
- The 5-Part Process Everybody Ought to Know When Working With a Facial Plastic Surgeon
- Men and Plastic Surgery
- How Does a Facial Plastic Surgeon Avoid Leaving Scars?
- Facial Cosmetic Surgery is More Popular Than Ever!
- Does Your Cosmetic Surgery Call for A Do-Over?
- Too old for Plastic Surgery?
- Popular Male Plastic Surgery Procedures
- Factors You Haven’t Considered Before Choosing Your Plastic Surgeon
- Don’t Get Scammed – What to Look for When Choosing a Facial Plastic Surgeon
- Talking To Your Plastic Surgeon In Toronto: 7 Most Important Questions
- 5 Helpful Ways to Know If You’re a Great Candidate for Toronto Facial Cosmetic Surgery
- Toronto Facial Cosmetic Surgery – How Can Surgeons Make You Look Younger?
- Your Toronto Plastic Surgeon Will Ask You These 5 Questions
- When Is The Best Time For Men To See A Plastic Surgeon In Toronto?
- What Season is the Best for Facial Surgery
- What Should Happen at a Consultation with a Plastic Surgeon?
- What To Expect After Plastic Surgery
- What Is Gore-Tex?
- Toronto Facial Cosmetic Surgery for Men Is More Common Than You Think
- Toronto Plastic Surgeons Use These Two Techniques to Wake Up Tired Eyes
- Toronto Cosmetic Surgeons Reveal Insider Advice You Need
- These Are the Top Consultation Questions to Ask Your Toronto Plastic Surgeon
- The Perfect Face
- The Top 5 Reasons For Cosmetic Plastic Surgery
- The Best Plastic Surgeons in Toronto Know These Industry Beauty Secrets to Transform You
- The History of Modern Plastic Surgery
- Selecting a Cosmetic Surgeon in Toronto Starts with These 3 Important Things
- Revenge Plastic Surgery
- Plastic Surgery Tourism
- Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
- Preparing for Plastic Surgery: General Guidelines
- Plastic Surgeon vs. Cosmetic Surgeon | What’s the Difference?
- Mommy Makeover Craze
- Most Popular Plastic Surgery Procedures
- Learn 2 Ways The Best Plastic Surgeons in Toronto Prevent an “Overdone” Look
- How Will You Know You’re Ready to Meet With a Cosmetic Surgeon in Toronto?
- Find a Plastic Surgeon in Toronto- Here’s What to Look For
- Facial Cosmetic Surgery in Toronto Has Advanced in Surprising Ways
- Factors Predicting Satisfaction Among Patients Seeking Facial Cosmetic Surgery
- Facial Contouring Surgery – Find Out How Small Adjustments Can Transform Your Life
- Do Your Homework When Considering A Cosmetic Surgeon In Toronto
- Do Plastic Surgeons Turn Down Patients with Unrealistic Expectations?
- Choosing the Best Cosmetic Surgeon in Toronto
- Can You Wear Makeup After Cosmetic Surgery?
- Advice From a Toronto Plastic Surgeon | Will Plastic Surgery Make You Happier?
- Afraid of Plastic Surgery?
- Are Cosmetic Surgery and Plastic Surgery the Same?
- A Look Into Popular Cosmetic Procedures In Asia
- 5 Things To Consider When Choosing a Cosmetic Surgeon In Toronto
- 5 Essential Questions To Ask Your Cosmetic Surgeon In Toronto
- 3 Must-Have Toronto Facial Cosmetic Surgery Maintenance Tips
- 5 of The Most Popular Reasons To See A Cosmetic Surgeon in Toronto
State-Of-The-Art Surgical Facility
Our facility offers a luxurious, comfortable and private setting for consultations and surgery with a waiting room that is both spacious and inviting. Although we hope you don’t have to spend too much time waiting to see Dr. Torgerson, within a few minutes you will feel relaxed and at ease.
*Disclaimer: Similar and/or permanent results are not guaranteed based on the treatment/procedure and may vary from patient to patient, based on multiple factors, including genetics and lifestyle of each patient.*
Please note that the Medicine Act, 1991, Part II: Advertising Regulations restricts and regulates advertising by physicians in Ontario. Compliance with these regulations restricts advertising and promotional content. Accordingly, the content of this website is intended for educational and informational purposes only, as the internet is an electronic information system and you are viewing this page unsolicited.
*If you require any further information to learn how our office is fully compliant with Ontario's Personal Health Information Protection Act, please contact us to connect with our Health Information Custodian.