Are Facelifts Becoming More Popular?
In Canada, there are no official statistics on the number of people getting plastic surgery in any given year
All trends are approximated from U.S. statistics. As reported by the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, over 28% more people got facelift surgeries in 2015 than in 1997. 131,106 facelift surgeries were performed in the United States in 2016, a 4% increase as compared to the 125,711 performed in 2015. 97,110 of the 131,106 facelift procedures performed were full facelift surgeries (74%), while 33,996 of the 131,106 procedures were mini facelifts (26%). The proportion of full facelifts performed did not differ significantly from 2015 to 2016. However, the number of mini facelifts performed increased by 17% in that same time frame. In both 2016 and 2015, facelifts ranked as the 5th most popular cosmetic procedure performed in the U.S. Breast augmentation ranked first, followed by liposuction, rhinoplasty, blepharoplasty, and facelifts.
Facelift addresses fine lines and deep wrinkles
While it is clear that the number of facelift procedures has increased significantly in the past few years, the exact reasoning remains unclear. There are several plausible causes for the rise in popularity of the facelift, including the following:
1. An increase in the popularity and availability of non-invasive treatments
Non-invasive treatments such as lasers, Botox, and facial fillers come at a lower cost and a lower risk than surgical procedures, and they bring many people into the plastic surgeon’s office. For many patients, trying different procedures and becoming more comfortable with the idea of plastic surgery may make having a facelift seem more within reach. A 2016 study in the Aesthetic Surgery Journal reported that many individuals who had undergone facelifts had previously participated in non-surgical facial rejuvenation treatments: 32% of those surveyed had injectable treatments (Botox and/or filler) prior to their facelift, 16% had laser resurfacing treatments, and 10% had laser skin-tightening treatments. Of these people, 59% of them did not regret having these procedures performed prior to their facelift, though they reported that they saw a greater rejuvenation effect from the facelift surgery.
Tighten and restructure the contour of the face
2. An overall increase in the number of cosmetic procedures performed
In 2016, the plastic surgery industry revenue rose to a record 15 billion U.S. dollars. Overall, the number of surgical cosmetic procedures performed in 2016 increased by 4% as compared to 2015.
3. An increase in the media coverage of cosmetic procedures
Social media websites such as Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, and Snapchat have helped fuel the discussion about cosmetic procedures. One study examining the frequency of plastic surgery-related posts on Instagram found that plastic surgery-related hashtags were present in 1 million Instagram posts from a single day. Celebrities and internet personalities frequently post content about the procedures they have undergone, their experiences with the procedures, and even photos and videos of them having procedures performed. Plastic surgeons themselves are more and more commonly sharing content on social media, sometimes even of them performing surgery! With more information available, more people are comfortable exploring these procedures and contemplating having them performed. Prospective patients can learn about procedures and determine whether they would be potential candidates without having to step into a surgeon’s office!
The First Step Of Your Journey Begins With A Conversation
We'll Get Back to You Within 1 Business Day.
Techniques are improving, and skilled plastic surgeons such as Dr. Torgerson are able to create a natural-looking, youthful appearance. Traditionally, the facelift surgery focused on just pulling the skin back to create a tighter appearance. Now it is increasingly common for surgeons to lift the muscles of the face as well as the skin. The objective is no longer to make the skin appear as tight as possible, but to maintain a natural appearance.
As posited by Reuters, the rise in facelift surgery may be due to baby boomers attempting to remain competitive in the workplace. As the mean age of retirement increases, many older individuals have become more cognizant of their appearance, undergoing procedures to avoid being viewed as old or elderly by their peers and coworkers. According to Leigh Fountain, spokeswoman for the American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, individuals in that age group are “having a lot of work done to stay competitive in the workplace… it’s very ageist, but it’s the unfortunate reality.”
- 11 Questions to Ask Before Facelift Surgery — Find Out What the Experts Suggest
- Achieving Facial Balance in Cosmetic Surgery
- Alyria: Optimum Skin Care System
- Answers to Your Top 6 Toronto FaceLift Questions
- Are Facelifts Becoming More Popular?
- Bespoke Facelifts in Toronto- What Can You Add to Your Personalized Facial Cosmetic Surgery?
- Can a Toronto Facelift Surgery Make you Look Younger?
- Can I Get a Facelift Without Surgery?
- Considering Facial Plastic Surgery?
- Everything You Need To Know About Mini Face Lift Surgery
- Face Lift Recovery Time
- Facelift (Rhytidectomy)
- Facelift Cost
- Facelift Facts You Should Be Aware Of
- Facelift FAQs
- Facelift Preparation
- Facelift Surgery (Rhytidectomy)
- Facelift Surgery Guide: 5 Questions You Should Always Ask
- Fat Grafting
- Four Main Risks of Facelift Surgery
- Have Fillers Replaced the Toronto Facelift?
- How Can a Toronto Facelift Change Your Life?
- How Can I Know What My Facelift in Toronto Will Cost?
- How is Facelift Surgery Accomplished?
- How Long Does a Facelift Surgery Last? Learn Critical Factors that You Can Control
- How Long Will Facelift Results Last?
- How to Make a Person’s Face Look Younger
- How To Prepare For a Facelift
- Investigating the Toronto Face Lift: What It Can and Can’t Do For You
- Is a Toronto Facelift Effective in Reducing the Appearance of Aging?
- Key Steps in a Toronto Facelift Procedure
- Learn About the Deep Plane Toronto Facelift Procedure
- Mini Facelift vs. Full Facelift
- Planning a Facelift? Find Out if a Mini Procedure is Right for You
- Post-Op Recovery After Facelift Surgery
- Pros and Cons of Facelift Surgery
- Recovery Time After Facelift Surgery
- The “Thread Lift”: A Non-Invasive Alternative or Too Good to Be True?
- The Benefits of a Mini Facelift
- The Best Toronto Facelift Surgery Techniques in 2018
- The Disadvantages of a Mini Facelift
- The Facelift Patient-Approved Checklist: 11 Ways to Make Recovery a Breeze
- The Toronto Facelift: Is It Popular with Men Too?
- The Ultimate Solution – Rhytidectomy
- Top 5 Advantages Of A Minilift
- Top Reasons To Get a Facelift
- Toronto Facelift - You Have Many Options
- Toronto Facelift Glossary - The Words You Need to Know
- Toronto Facelift Surgeons: Best Reasons to Act Now, Not Later
- Toronto Facelift: How Can You Tell If You’re Ready?
- Toronto Facelift: What You Don’t Know Might Surprise You
- Toronto’s Top Facelift Surgeon’s Before and After Results
- What Are the Common Misconceptions About a Toronto Facelift?
- What is a Liquid Facelift?
- What Is the Average Cost of a Facelift in Toronto?
- What Is The Best Age For Facelift Surgery?
- What is the Best Alternative to a Toronto Facelift?
- What Men Need To Consider Before a Facelift
- What Should You Ask During Your Toronto Facelift Consultation?
- What to Expect From Your Toronto FaceLift Recovery
- What To Expect On The Day of Facelift Surgery
- Who is the Ideal Candidate for a Facelift?
State-Of-The-Art Surgical Facility
Our facility offers a luxurious, comfortable and private setting for consultations and surgery with a waiting room that is both spacious and inviting. Although we hope you don’t have to spend too much time waiting to see Dr. Torgerson, within a few minutes you will feel relaxed and at ease.