Face Lift Recovery Time
Face lift surgery can significantly improve the signs of aging in the face and neck by removing excess skin, reducing wrinkles, and increasing firmness in the skin.
For a facelift surgery, your surgical coordinator will provide you with all the necessary surgical documentation. This includes information on your medications as well as pre-operative and post-operative instructions on how to prepare for surgery with important details on how to manage recovery after surgery.
More About Face Lift Recovery Time
The surgical package is an important part of the recovery phase for patients, as it gives them essential information in case of any unforeseen circumstances. Pre-and post-op instructions are also beneficial for post-surgical symptom management such as:
- Medication to avoid before and after surgery
- Healing and wound care instructions
- Nutritional information to promote healing
- Safety information on the resumption of physical exercise
- Information on improving on swelling and bruising
The healing phases after a facelift can be broken down into 3 general stages. Below we discuss what patients can expect at each stage of healing.
First Week of Recovery
Immediately after surgery, patients are required to have a caregiver for the first 24 hours after discharge from the surgical facility.
- It’s completely normal for people to feel discomfort, drowsiness, and tiredness during the first few days after surgery.
- Some people may experience nausea from the pain medication. This can be managed with the help of your plastic surgeon, who can prescribe you anti-nausea medication.
- Patients are advised to get up and walk around to promote blood circulation.
- It is very important for patients to follow the specific recommended time intervals with their medications to help manage pain or discomfort in the face, neck, or ears.
- Antibiotics may be prescribed for the first week after surgery to prevent infection.
- Patients should not be alarmed if one side of their face is healing slower than the other. That is normal and can be expected.
The First Step Of Your Journey Begins With A Conversation
We'll Get Back to You Within 1 Business Day.
2 – 3 Weeks After Facelift Surgery
Follow-up appointments with your plastic surgeon will be required to remove sutures and staples and to monitor the progress of recovery after your procedure.
- It is normal to experience some persistent bruising and swelling into the second week of recovery.
- Patients may feel unusual sensations like tingling, burning, and numbness as the body recovers from the effects of surgery.
- By the third week, most patients recover from most of the swelling and bruising. However, isolated areas of mild bruising and swelling are normal.
- Most patients will experience the feeling and the appearance of tightness in their skin and in and around their incision lines from the procedure. That is normal and expected.
- Patients can start wearing makeup to cover up any remaining bruising and redness (not directly on top, but around) the incision lines at this stage of recovery.
1 Month After Surgery
At 1 month, most patients find that they are well enough to get back to their “normal” life.
- There may be puckering of the skin around the suture lines, which will flatten out in the next few months.
- Most people can resume their normal daily and professional activities with special care to not participate in overly strenuous activities.
Light exercise is permissible.
- Patients must take great care to not expose their new suture lines directly to the sun, as the new skin is prone to darkening and premature aging from the sun.
- Patients can freely wear makeup on the incision lines.
- Scar healing takes about 1 year but will continue to improve daily.
Call Your Plastic Surgeon if You Experience any of the Following
- Unusual bulges on the face or neck
- High fever after your procedure
- Reopening of any incisions
- Pain or irritation at incision lines that doesn’t progressively improve
- Any oozing or fluids released from the incisions
Patients can optimize their face lift plastic surgery results by getting plenty of rest, following recommended doses and times of medications, and ensuring that they consume plenty of water and nutritious foods to allow their body to recover from the effects of surgery.
- 11 Questions to Ask Before Facelift Surgery — Find Out What the Experts Suggest
- Achieving Facial Balance in Cosmetic Surgery
- Alyria: Optimum Skin Care System
- Answers to Your Top 6 Toronto FaceLift Questions
- Are Facelifts Becoming More Popular?
- Bespoke Facelifts in Toronto- What Can You Add to Your Personalized Facial Cosmetic Surgery?
- Can a Toronto Facelift Surgery Make you Look Younger?
- Can I Get a Facelift Without Surgery?
- Considering Facial Plastic Surgery?
- Everything You Need To Know About Mini Face Lift Surgery
- Face Lift Recovery Time
- Facelift (Rhytidectomy)
- Facelift Cost
- Facelift Facts You Should Be Aware Of
- Facelift FAQs
- Facelift Preparation
- Facelift Surgery (Rhytidectomy)
- Facelift Surgery Guide: 5 Questions You Should Always Ask
- Fat Grafting
- Four Main Risks of Facelift Surgery
- Have Fillers Replaced the Toronto Facelift?
- How Can a Toronto Facelift Change Your Life?
- How Can I Know What My Facelift in Toronto Will Cost?
- How is Facelift Surgery Accomplished?
- How Long Does a Facelift Surgery Last? Learn Critical Factors that You Can Control
- How Long Will Facelift Results Last?
- How to Make a Person’s Face Look Younger
- How To Prepare For a Facelift
- Investigating the Toronto Face Lift: What It Can and Can’t Do For You
- Is a Toronto Facelift Effective in Reducing the Appearance of Aging?
- Key Steps in a Toronto Facelift Procedure
- Learn About the Deep Plane Toronto Facelift Procedure
- Mini Facelift vs. Full Facelift
- Planning a Facelift? Find Out if a Mini Procedure is Right for You
- Post-Op Recovery After Facelift Surgery
- Pros and Cons of Facelift Surgery
- Recovery Time After Facelift Surgery
- The “Thread Lift”: A Non-Invasive Alternative or Too Good to Be True?
- The Benefits of a Mini Facelift
- The Best Toronto Facelift Surgery Techniques in 2018
- The Disadvantages of a Mini Facelift
- The Facelift Patient-Approved Checklist: 11 Ways to Make Recovery a Breeze
- The Toronto Facelift: Is It Popular with Men Too?
- The Ultimate Solution – Rhytidectomy
- Top 5 Advantages Of A Minilift
- Top Reasons To Get a Facelift
- Toronto Facelift - You Have Many Options
- Toronto Facelift Glossary - The Words You Need to Know
- Toronto Facelift Surgeons: Best Reasons to Act Now, Not Later
- Toronto Facelift: How Can You Tell If You’re Ready?
- Toronto Facelift: What You Don’t Know Might Surprise You
- Toronto’s Top Facelift Surgeon’s Before and After Results
- What Are the Common Misconceptions About a Toronto Facelift?
- What is a Liquid Facelift?
- What Is the Average Cost of a Facelift in Toronto?
- What Is The Best Age For Facelift Surgery?
- What is the Best Alternative to a Toronto Facelift?
- What Men Need To Consider Before a Facelift
- What Should You Ask During Your Toronto Facelift Consultation?
- What to Expect From Your Toronto FaceLift Recovery
- What To Expect On The Day of Facelift Surgery
- Who is the Ideal Candidate for a Facelift?