Learn About the Deep Plane Toronto Facelift Procedure
A facelift is a facial rejuvenation procedure that works to counteract the common signs of aging, helping restore a patient’s appearance and confidence.
Previously, facelift surgery addressed only the outer layer of skin, as it was believed that the outer layer alone was responsible for signs of aging in the face. However, as a result of developments in technology, surgeons now have a more sophisticated understanding of the facial anatomy. This understanding has enabled them to develop more advanced facelift techniques. When performing a Toronto face lift, Dr. Torgerson utilizes the deep plane facelift procedure so he can address the underlying layers of tissue and muscles, smoothing deep-set wrinkles and sagging muscles to deliver unparalleled results.
Planes of Tissue
To distinguish between the different techniques used for Toronto facelift surgery, it is necessary to understand the facial anatomy. The face is comprised of 3 levels of tissue, which are referred to as “planes.” These include:
- The superficial plane: the outer dermal layer of skin. Early forms of face lift surgery addressed only this outer plane, which often led to uneven or unnatural results.
- The midplane: the superficial muscular aponeurotic system (SMAS) layer is the layer of tissue between the outer dermal layer and the deeper tissues in the face and neck.
- The deep plane: the layer of tissue and muscle beneath the SMAS layer. As its name suggests, it is the deepest layer.
The SMAS facelift technique addresses the fascia layer between the superficial and the deep tissues on the face and neck. It is a suitable technique to address sagging in the jowls and neck. During this procedure, the skin is separated to tighten the layer of muscle and remove loose skin. Unwanted fat beneath the chin may also be removed using liposuction. This technique is ideal for patients who are bothered by loose skin in the lower face, as it can rejuvenate the jawline.
Available Treatment Options
Deep Plane Technique
The deep plane technique, also referred to as the sub-SMAS facelift, makes an incision in the SMAS and lifts it to work on the layer of tissue and muscle beneath it. This technique is recommended for patients with severe facial sagging or for people who hope to address common concerns in the mid-face, such as the nasolabial folds and cheeks.
Although a face lift that addresses the superficial plane or midplane may deliver excellent short-term results, the true test of plastic surgery is the longevity of the outcome. Because it addresses the deepest layers of tissue and muscle, the deep plane technique delivers the most natural results that stand the test of time, lasting for many years to come.
To determine the best approach for you, we welcome you to schedule a consultation with Dr. Cory Torgerson, a leading Toronto facelift surgeon. During your private consultation, Dr. Torgerson will examine your facial anatomy to determine which areas need to be addressed and to assess the severity of skin laxity and facial sagging. He will then walk you through each of the available treatment options to help you select the most suitable technique for your particular needs and goals.
- 11 Questions to Ask Before Facelift Surgery — Find Out What the Experts Suggest
- Achieving Facial Balance in Cosmetic Surgery
- Alyria: Optimum Skin Care System
- Answers to Your Top 6 Toronto FaceLift Questions
- Are Facelifts Becoming More Popular?
- Bespoke Facelifts in Toronto- What Can You Add to Your Personalized Facial Cosmetic Surgery?
- Can a Toronto Facelift Surgery Make you Look Younger?
- Can I Get a Facelift Without Surgery?
- Considering Facial Plastic Surgery?
- Everything You Need To Know About Mini Face Lift Surgery
- Face Lift Recovery Time
- Facelift (Rhytidectomy)
- Facelift Facts You Should Be Aware Of
- Facelift Preparation
- Facelift Surgery (Rhytidectomy)
- Facelift Surgery Guide: 5 Questions You Should Always Ask
- Fat Grafting
- Four Main Risks of Facelift Surgery
- Have Fillers Replaced the Toronto Facelift?
- How Can a Toronto Facelift Change Your Life?
- How Can I Know What My Facelift in Toronto Will Cost?
- How is Facelift Surgery Accomplished?
- How Long Does a Facelift Surgery Last? Learn Critical Factors that You Can Control
- How Long Will Facelift Results Last?
- How to Make a Person’s Face Look Younger
- How To Prepare For a Facelift
- Investigating the Toronto Face Lift: What It Can and Can’t Do For You
- Is a Toronto Facelift Effective in Reducing the Appearance of Aging?
- Key Steps in a Toronto Facelift Procedure
- Learn About the Deep Plane Toronto Facelift Procedure
- Mini Facelift vs. Full Facelift
- Planning a Facelift? Find Out if a Mini Procedure is Right for You
- Post-Op Recovery After Facelift Surgery
- Pros and Cons of Facelift Surgery
- Recovery Time After Facelift Surgery
- The “Thread Lift”: A Non-Invasive Alternative or Too Good to Be True?
- The Benefits of a Mini Facelift
- The Best Toronto Facelift Surgery Techniques in 2018
- The Disadvantages of a Mini Facelift
- The Facelift Patient-Approved Checklist: 11 Ways to Make Recovery a Breeze
- The Toronto Facelift: Is It Popular with Men Too?
- The Ultimate Solution – Rhytidectomy
- Top 5 Advantages Of A Minilift
- Top Reasons To Get a Facelift
- Toronto Facelift - You Have Many Options
- Toronto Facelift Glossary - The Words You Need to Know
- Toronto Facelift: How Can You Tell If You’re Ready?
- Toronto Facelift: What You Don’t Know Might Surprise You
- Toronto’s Top Facelift Surgeon’s Before and After Results
- What Are the Common Misconceptions About a Toronto Facelift?
- What is a Liquid Facelift?
- What Is the Average Cost of a Facelift in Toronto?
- What Is The Best Age For Facelift Surgery?
- What is the Best Alternative to a Toronto Facelift?
- What Men Need To Consider Before a Facelift
- What Should You Ask During Your Toronto Facelift Consultation?
- What to Expect From Your Toronto FaceLift Recovery
- What To Expect On The Day of Facelift Surgery
- Who is the Ideal Candidate for a Facelift?
State-Of-The-Art Surgical Facility
Our facility offers a luxurious, comfortable and private setting for consultations and surgery with a waiting room that is both spacious and inviting. Although we hope you don’t have to spend too much time waiting to see Dr. Torgerson, within a few minutes you will feel relaxed and at ease.