One of the newest trends in facial cosmetic procedures is a procedure known as fat grafting, also known as micro-lipoinjections or fat transfer.
It restores volume to areas of the face and lips that have begun to sag, droop, or shrink with the advancement of age. The goal of fat grafting is identical to using injectable fillers, although the product is much different! Rather than using hyaluronic acid, this new procedure uses a person’s own fat.
“Fat Transfer” Or “Fat-grafting”
Fat Is Not Discarded
Many people have heard of liposuction, where fat is extracted from the body in areas where people want to reduce their size – normally the abdomen and mid-rift. Fat grafting is similar in that it does extract fat from a donor site, but the fat is not discarded. It is processed and transferred by re-injecting it into the areas of the face that require contouring or plumping up. This is where the name “fat transfer” or “fat-grafting” is derived. The extraction and injection is accomplished with a fine needle attached to a syringe, similar to liposuction.
Fat is prepared for use in the face by having the excess water removed, then compacting it to a concentrated substance. The facial areas where this technique has proven most effective are sunken cheeks, nasalabial folds, under the eyes, or adding volume to cheekbones so they become more prominent. Fat grafting has not been as successful when injected into the lips and is more successful in areas of the face with less movement.
Fat transfer has not been used to augment breasts because the newly injected fat can hinder a mammogram reading. There is also a possibility that the injected fat be misdiagnosed as cancer.
Dermal Filler Alternative: Juvéderm, Teosyal, And Restylane
Less Chance or An Allergic Reaction
This is a very new technique, but plastic surgeons who perform fat grafting believe there is less chance for an allergic reaction when a person’s own cells are used. They feel it is a natural alternative to injectable fillers and that adding volume to the face delays the need for facelift surgery. The downside of fat transfer is that it is necessary to inject an exorbitant amount of fat since only 30% to 40% stays in place. The rest is re-absorbed back into the body in a few months.
As in the case of injectable fillers, the success of fat grafting depends on the expertise and experience of the professional performing the injections. This is why it is essential for anyone considering fat grafting to enlist a plastic surgeon who is not a novice.
Facial cosmetic surgery is one of the medical fields that has been experiencing the most innovative and state-of-the-art additions to the techniques that surgeons are able to offer clients. Despite the addition of fat transfer to the industry, Dr. Cory Torgerson has not incorporated it at his facial cosmetic facility in downtown Toronto. He is very pleased with the results he is able to achieve for his patients with the incredible injectable fillers that are now available that are safe and do not require the downtime necessary for fat-grafting. Dr. Torgerson believes in the exemplary quality of dermal filler such as Juvéderm, Teosyal, and Restylane. Furthermore, the longevity of these fillers and the transformation they are able to achieve cannot be replaced by the more difficult fat-grafting procedures.
The First Step Of Your Journey Begins With A Conversation
We'll Get Back to You Within 1 Business Day.
- 11 Questions to Ask Before Facelift Surgery — Find Out What the Experts Suggest
- Achieving Facial Balance in Cosmetic Surgery
- Alyria: Optimum Skin Care System
- Answers to Your Top 6 Toronto FaceLift Questions
- Are Facelifts Becoming More Popular?
- Bespoke Facelifts in Toronto- What Can You Add to Your Personalized Facial Cosmetic Surgery?
- Can a Toronto Facelift Surgery Make you Look Younger?
- Can I Get a Facelift Without Surgery?
- Considering Facial Plastic Surgery?
- Everything You Need To Know About Mini Face Lift Surgery
- Face Lift Recovery Time
- Facelift (Rhytidectomy)
- Facelift Cost
- Facelift Facts You Should Be Aware Of
- Facelift FAQs
- Facelift Preparation
- Facelift Surgery (Rhytidectomy)
- Facelift Surgery Guide: 5 Questions You Should Always Ask
- Facelift Toronto
- Fat Grafting
- Four Main Risks of Facelift Surgery
- Have Fillers Replaced the Toronto Facelift?
- How Can a Toronto Facelift Change Your Life?
- How Can I Know What My Facelift in Toronto Will Cost?
- How is Facelift Surgery Accomplished?
- How Long Does a Facelift Surgery Last? Learn Critical Factors that You Can Control
- How Long Will Facelift Results Last?
- How to Make a Person’s Face Look Younger
- How To Prepare For a Facelift
- Investigating the Toronto Face Lift: What It Can and Can’t Do For You
- Is a Toronto Facelift Effective in Reducing the Appearance of Aging?
- Key Steps in a Toronto Facelift Procedure
- Learn About the Deep Plane Toronto Facelift Procedure
- Mini Facelift vs. Full Facelift
- Planning a Facelift? Find Out if a Mini Procedure is Right for You
- Post-Op Recovery After Facelift Surgery
- Pros and Cons of Facelift Surgery
- Recovery Time After Facelift Surgery
- The “Thread Lift”: A Non-Invasive Alternative or Too Good to Be True?
- The Benefits of a Mini Facelift
- The Best Toronto Facelift Surgery Techniques in 2018
- The Disadvantages of a Mini Facelift
- The Facelift Patient-Approved Checklist: 11 Ways to Make Recovery a Breeze
- The Toronto Facelift: Is It Popular with Men Too?
- The Ultimate Solution – Rhytidectomy
- Top 5 Advantages Of A Minilift
- Top Reasons To Get a Facelift
- Toronto Facelift - You Have Many Options
- Toronto Facelift Glossary - The Words You Need to Know
- Toronto Facelift Surgeons: Best Reasons to Act Now, Not Later
- Toronto Facelift: How Can You Tell If You’re Ready?
- Toronto Facelift: What You Don’t Know Might Surprise You
- Toronto’s Top Facelift Surgeon’s Before and After Results
- What Are the Common Misconceptions About a Toronto Facelift?
- What is a Liquid Facelift?
- What Is the Average Cost of a Facelift in Toronto?
- What Is The Best Age For Facelift Surgery?
- What is the Best Alternative to a Toronto Facelift?
- What Men Need To Consider Before a Facelift
- What Should You Ask During Your Toronto Facelift Consultation?
- What to Expect From Your Toronto FaceLift Recovery
- What To Expect On The Day of Facelift Surgery
- Who is the Ideal Candidate for a Facelift?