How Long Does a Facelift Surgery Last? Learn Critical Factors that You Can Control
How long does a mini facelift last? How about a deep plane facelift surgery? Do you know the difference? We’re going to explain why there’s some variability in the longevity of an excellent facelift result, and why you control the key factors.
Just as every individual face in Toronto is different, the results of each facial surgery can vary. For people who have mini or mid facelift surgery at an earlier age, dramatic transformations aren’t the goal as much as graceful aging over time. They want to slow the process and gain control over problem areas so they can enter their 50s and 60s looking fabulous.
Given the time required for a safe and healthy recovery, along with significant financial investment, it’s no wonder a critical patient concern is the longevity of results.
Are Facelifts Permanent?
Technically, yes, the changes made through surgery are permanent, because they don’t wholly reverse themselves, but age and changes march on. Face lift before and after photos often show impressively smooth, youthful improvement at roughly 6 months post-op. How can you ensure that you’ll still enjoy your youthful look in 5 or 10 years?
It’s true that the best facial plastic surgeon in Toronto can perform a deep plane or SMAS (superficial muscular aponeurotic system) face-lift designed to last and look effortlessly natural for many years, but the outcome you want starts with choosing the right procedure, then gaining the healthiest body you can have, and taking outstanding care of your skin. Any facelift procedure will fade naturally over time due to relentless time and gravity. However, facelifts keep people ahead of the game and looking better than they would have as each decade goes by. What factors influence how well (or how poorly) you show age?
Complexion and genetics affect the skin
Our genetics help determine skin thickness, bone structure, elasticity, resilience, and skin pigment. People with thicker, well-hydrated, darker-toned, and undamaged skin will enjoy youthful results longer. Patients who have thin, wrinkled, or sun-damaged skin to begin with will typically have less natural elasticity and resilience, so their tissue won’t retract and firm up as well after surgery. For this reason, younger patients often see smooth, luminous skin for longer when they intervene before significant deterioration has taken place.
The appearance of aged skin is related to more than just sagging. The loss of critical volume, environmental damage, and hydration affect your appearance. For that reason, complexion and skin health is vital.
Dr. Cory Torgerson
Choose your surgeon wisely for results that last
The skill level and area of specialty for your surgeon can affect how long you get to love your revitalized face. Many clinics are promoting “fast” and “surgery-free” varieties of facelifts, which deal with only the surface layer of skin. Pulling the skin tight can create a lifting effect, but the results are never as natural as they could be. As well, they don’t last. Some types of thread-lifting leave patients extremely disappointed, as the effects fade before 6 months. Choosing a facial cosmetic surgeon with minimal experience or one who focuses their practice on other areas of the body isn’t advised. For lasting and beautiful facial surgery results, you need an expert who is adept in this specialized field.
How are facelifts done?
Several different techniques can spot-treat problem areas or provide thorough facial transformation. Typically, the more invasive face-lift surgery is, the longer-lasting the results will be. The cost of face lift surgery also varies considerably when you compare a mini facelift or a full deep plane approach, which repositions the muscles and fascia supporting your skin. There are essentially 3 layers of tissue that facial plastic surgeons work with, and a “full facelift” works on all 3. A thorough facial surgery like this may potentially keep you looking young with minimal change for 10 to 15 years, and then lines and other skin changes will begin to set in again.
Some people choose to include a lift for the forehead or tighten the skin around their eyes. This might be done during your facelift surgery, but it can also provide a refresh for your look a few years later.
The First Step Of Your Journey Begins With A Conversation
We'll Get Back to You Within 1 Business Day.
Non-Surgical Facelift Treatments
Adding injectables can help boost your result and maintain it long after surgery. While a soft lift using dermal fillers and Botox is an excellent stand-alone option, applying these techniques along with surgical ones can increase the resiliency of results. The aging process causes the loss of volume due to muscle atrophy and the loss of fat or collagen. Without overlying cushion in all the right places, facial features can appear hollowed or skeletal and cheeks flat. Dermal fillers are available in various consistencies, including thick, cohesive gels that are meant to be placed deeply, where they can lift and recontour the face. Dr. Torgerson’s facelift surgery techniques often employ a more holistic approach using both surgical and non-surgical modalities. Long after you’ve recovered from your operation, maintaining smooth, plump, hydrated skin and a healthy look can be managed with injectable appointments once or twice per year.
Lifestyle affects your face
After facelift surgery recovery, have you thought about how you’ll get optimal circulation, hydration, and skin health? The lifestyle you lead will show up on your face.
An expert facial plastic surgeon will be able to advise you regarding top-of-the-line medical-grade skin care and even dietary choices that feed your face. You’ve heard it: you are what you eat. Since your skin is your biggest elimination organ and its cells turn over quickly, the skin shows the effects of what you consume for better or worse. We suggest you take in skin-supportive vitamins like C, A, E, and B complex. Whenever possible, consume whole foods, fruits, and veggies that are naturally rich in these vitamins.
Exercise is also more important for skin than you may realize. Not only does excellent circulation help you heal faster, but as soon as you’re cleared to work out, daily aerobic activity will help keep you toned and glowing.
10 Dr. Cory Torgerson Facelift Surgery Tips to Make Results Last
- Select an experienced facial plastic surgeon.
- Choose a surgeon certified by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (Royal College).
- Review facial surgery before and after photos of patients close to your age.
- Follow all your post-procedure instructions.
- Wear sun protection.
- Keep your skin hydrated.
- Avoid excess alcohol.
- Don’t smoke or use nicotine.
- Maintain a healthy and stable weight.
- Consult with skin care and pro-aging specialists like the team at the Clinic in Yorkville for expert skincare advice and treatments that maintain skin vibrancy.
Your consultation for facelift surgery will allow us to share real patient results with you and to ensure that all of your questions are answered. If you’d like to learn more or you’re ready for the next steps toward a more youthful and confident you, we welcome you to contact us and book your appointment with Dr. Torgerson today.
- Fat Grafting
- How to Make a Person’s Face Look Younger
- Toronto Facelift: How Can You Tell If You’re Ready?
- Facelift Preparation
- Facelift Cost
- Bespoke Facelifts in Toronto- What Can You Add to Your Personalized Facial Cosmetic Surgery?
- Facelift (Rhytidectomy)
- What Men Need To Consider Before a Facelift
- The Toronto Facelift: Is It Popular with Men Too?
- The Benefits of a Mini Facelift
- The “Thread Lift”: A Non-Invasive Alternative or Too Good to Be True?
- Learn About the Deep Plane Toronto Facelift Procedure
- How Can I Know What My Facelift in Toronto Will Cost?
- Have Fillers Replaced the Toronto Facelift?
- Considering Facial Plastic Surgery?
- Can a Toronto Facelift Surgery Make you Look Younger?
- What Is The Best Age For Facelift Surgery?
- Toronto’s Top Facelift Surgeon’s Before and After Results
- Toronto Facelift Surgeons: Best Reasons to Act Now, Not Later
- The Facelift Patient-Approved Checklist: 11 Ways to Make Recovery a Breeze
- Planning a Facelift? Find Out if a Mini Procedure is Right for You
- How Long Will Facelift Results Last?
- How Long Does a Facelift Surgery Last? Learn Critical Factors that You Can Control
- Facelift Toronto
- Everything You Need To Know About Mini Face Lift Surgery
- Achieving Facial Balance in Cosmetic Surgery
- 11 Questions to Ask Before Facelift Surgery — Find Out What the Experts Suggest
- What is a Liquid Facelift?
- The Disadvantages of a Mini Facelift
- Facelift Surgery Guide: 5 Questions You Should Always Ask
- Who is the Ideal Candidate for a Facelift?
- What Should You Ask During Your Toronto Facelift Consultation?
- What to Expect From Your Toronto FaceLift Recovery
- What To Expect On The Day of Facelift Surgery
- What Is the Average Cost of a Facelift in Toronto?
- What is the Best Alternative to a Toronto Facelift?
- What Are the Common Misconceptions About a Toronto Facelift?
- Toronto Facelift: What You Don’t Know Might Surprise You
- Top Reasons To Get a Facelift
- Toronto Facelift Glossary - The Words You Need to Know
- Toronto Facelift - You Have Many Options
- Top 5 Advantages Of A Minilift
- The Ultimate Solution – Rhytidectomy
- The Best Toronto Facelift Surgery Techniques in 2018
- Recovery Time After Facelift Surgery
- Post-Op Recovery After Facelift Surgery
- Pros and Cons of Facelift Surgery
- Mini Facelift vs. Full Facelift
- Key Steps in a Toronto Facelift Procedure
- Is a Toronto Facelift Effective in Reducing the Appearance of Aging?
- Investigating the Toronto Face Lift: What It Can and Can’t Do For You
- How To Prepare For a Facelift
- How is Facelift Surgery Accomplished?
- How Can a Toronto Facelift Change Your Life?
- Four Main Risks of Facelift Surgery
- Facelift FAQs
- Face Lift Recovery Time
- Facelift Facts You Should Be Aware Of
- Facelift Surgery (Rhytidectomy)
- Can I Get a Facelift Without Surgery?
- Answers to Your Top 6 Toronto FaceLift Questions
- Are Facelifts Becoming More Popular?
- Alyria: Optimum Skin Care System
State-Of-The-Art Surgical Facility
Our facility offers a luxurious, comfortable and private setting for consultations and surgery with a waiting room that is both spacious and inviting. Although we hope you don’t have to spend too much time waiting to see Dr. Torgerson, within a few minutes you will feel relaxed and at ease.
*Disclaimer: Similar and/or permanent results are not guaranteed based on the treatment/procedure and may vary from patient to patient, based on multiple factors, including genetics and lifestyle of each patient.*
Please note that the Medicine Act, 1991, Part II: Advertising Regulations restricts and regulates advertising by physicians in Ontario. Compliance with these regulations restricts advertising and promotional content. Accordingly, the content of this website is intended for educational and informational purposes only, as the internet is an electronic information system and you are viewing this page unsolicited.
*If you require any further information to learn how our office is fully compliant with Ontario's Personal Health Information Protection Act, please contact us to connect with our Health Information Custodian.