What to Expect from Your Toronto FaceLift Recovery
Regardless of the type of facelift that has been performed, the healing process is quite similar, although the recovery timelines can vary.
Although it is extremely important to follow the pre- and post-operative instructions provided by your surgeon, many patients are surprised to learn just how easy the recovery process from a Toronto facelift is.
The Recovery Time
A Full Facelift
Following a mini facelift, in which smaller incisions are made, the recovery time will be shorter compared to a full facelift, where larger incisions are made and more extensive work is performed. Typically, recovery from a mini facelift takes around 7 to 10 days, whereas recovery from a full facelift is more likely to be around 2 or 3 weeks.
Immediately following the procedure, as the anesthetic wears off, patients usually wake up after about 30 minutes. It is normal and expected for the patient to feel quite groggy at first. After around 4 hours, once the clinic staff has ensured that the patient has stabilized, the patient is discharged into the care of family or friends to drive them home. After 24 hours, the head dressing and any drains will be removed. Sutures will remain in at this point and will be removed in stages after 5 days and after 1 week.
On Day 3 following the procedure, it is important to continue resting, although patients typically feel well enough to walk around by then. One of the main and most noticeable effects at that time will be swelling, which is most pronounced in the first 3 days. After the first 3 days have passed, the swelling should begin to subside.
Following the Post-Operative Instructions
Appearance After the Procedure
Most patients are able to stop using pain medications at that point. After approximately 1 week, when the sutures are removed, patients are able to sleep flat. However, the neck area is still likely to feel tight.
During Week 2 following a Toronto facelift, it is normal to still have some bruising and swelling around the face, neck, eyes, and ears. Numbness and tingling sensations in these areas are also a normal side effect of the bruising. Patients typically feel substantially better by the end of the second week. However, it is still important to avoid strenuous activity at this time.
After the second week is over, the appearance of the incisions begins to improve. Patients are usually able to comfortably attend social events and apply makeup without worry. However, it is normal, depending on the extent of work done, to still experience some swelling and tightness even during weeks 3 and 4 following the procedure.
One of the most important factors that will determine the ease of a Toronto facelift recovery is the technique and skill of the surgeon. It is extremely important to choose an experienced head and neck surgeon who can determine the best type of facelift for you and help you achieve optimal results. Furthermore, failure to follow the post-operative instructions provided by the surgeon will impede recovery and potentially lead to excess swelling, bruising, and pain. To avoid complications, it is also recommended to avoid smoking, sun exposure, and medications that can cause excessive bleeding during the recovery period.
The First Step Of Your Journey Begins With A Conversation
We'll Get Back to You Within 1 Business Day.
- Bespoke Facelifts in Toronto- What Can you add to your Personalized Facial Cosmetic Surgery?
- Facelift Surgery Guide: 5 Questions You Should Always Ask
- 11 Questions to Ask Before Facelift Surgery — Find Out What the Experts Suggest
- How Long Does a Facelift Surgery Last? Learn Critical Factors that You Can Control
- Planning a Facelift? Find Out if a Mini Procedure is Right for You
- The Facelift Patient-Approved Checklist: 11 Ways to Make Recovery a Breeze
- Toronto Facelift Glossary - The Words You Need to Know
- Learn About the Deep Plane Toronto Facelift Procedure
- Facelift Cost
- What To Expect On The Day of Facelift Surgery
- Have Fillers Replaced the Toronto Facelift?
- Is a Toronto Facelift Effective in Reducing the Appearance of Aging?
- The Toronto Facelift: Is It Popular with Men Too?
- How Can I Know What My Facelift in Toronto Will Cost?
- Toronto Facelift: What You Don’t Know Might Surprise You
- What Are the Common Misconceptions About a Toronto Facelift?
- What Is the Average Cost of a Facelift in Toronto?
- What is the Best Alternative to a Toronto Facelift?
- The “Thread Lift”: A Non-Invasive Alternative or Too Good to Be True?
- Facelift Preparation
- Are Facelifts Becoming More Popular?
- What is a Liquid Facelift?
- What Should You Ask During Your Toronto Facelift Consultation?
- Toronto Facelift - You Have Many Options
- What to Expect From Your Toronto FaceLift Recovery
- Key Steps in a Toronto Facelift Procedure
- Answers to Your Top 6 Toronto FaceLift Questions
- The Best Toronto Facelift Surgery Techniques in 2018
- Investigating the Toronto Face Lift: What It Can and Can’t Do For You
- Toronto Facelift: How Can You Tell If You’re Ready?
- Can a Toronto Facelift Surgery Make you Look Younger?
- How Can a Toronto Facelift Change Your Life?
- How to Make a Person’s Face Look Younger
- Facelift Surgery (Rhytidectomy)
- Can I Get a Facelift Without Surgery?
- Top Reasons To Get a Facelift
- The Ultimate Solution – Rhytidectomy
- Face Lift Recovery Time
- Achieving Facial Balance in Cosmetic Surgery
- Alyria: Optimum Skin Care System
- Facelift FAQs
- Considering Facial Plastic Surgery?
- Recovery Time After Facelift Surgery
- Fat Grafting
- How is Facelift Surgery Accomplished?
- Post-Op Recovery After Facelift Surgery
- Pros and Cons of Facelift Surgery
- The Benefits of a Mini facelift
- How To Prepare For a Facelift
- The Disadvantages of a Mini Facelift
- Top 5 Advantages Of A Minilift
- What Men Need To Consider Before a Facelift
- Who is the Ideal Candidate for a Facelift?
- Facelift Toronto
- Everything You Need To Know About Mini Face Lift Surgery
- Facelift Facts You Should Be Aware Of
- How Long Will Facelift Results Last?
- Facelift (Rhytidectomy)
- Four Main Risks of Facelift Surgery
- What Is The Best Age For Facelift Surgery?
- Mini Facelift vs. Full Facelift
State-Of-The-Art Surgical Facility
Our facility offers a luxurious, comfortable and private setting for consultations and surgery with a waiting room that is both spacious and inviting. Although we hope you don’t have to spend too much time waiting to see Dr. Torgerson, within a few minutes you will feel relaxed and at ease.
*Disclaimer: Similar and/or permanent results are not guaranteed based on the treatment/procedure and may vary from patient to patient, based on multiple factors, including genetics and lifestyle of each patient.*
Please note that the Medicine Act, 1991, Part II: Advertising Regulations restricts and regulates advertising by physicians in Ontario. Compliance with these regulations restricts advertising and promotional content. Accordingly, the content of this website is intended for educational and informational purposes only, as the internet is an electronic information system and you are viewing this page unsolicited.
*If you require any further information to learn how our office is fully compliant with Ontario's Personal Health Information Protection Act, please contact us to connect with our Health Information Custodian.