How Does a Facial Plastic Surgeon Avoid Leaving Scars?
For many individuals considering facial plastic surgery, the fear of scarring can deter them from going forward with the procedure
Some degree of scarring is inevitable following a surgical procedure, as the body naturally creates scar tissue in response to any skin injury during the natural healing process. However, there are a number of interventions that skilled surgeons use to help minimize the appearance of scarring. One of the best ways to avoid the likelihood of leaving visible scars is carefully selecting a top facial cosmetic surgeon in Toronto.
Select a top facial cosmetic surgeon in Toronto
Unlike traumatic injuries that result in irregular, jagged, or concave scarring, surgically created scars can be strategically placed in inconspicuous areas. For example, the incisions made during a facelift are often carefully hidden behind the ears and hairline. Likewise, during a rhinoplasty procedure, incisions are made either inside the nose or between the nostrils, where they are out of sight. While these scars may initially be visible, their placement ensures that as they mature, they become more difficult to detect.
In addition, surgeons use a layered closure technique, frequently using deep, dissolvable sutures that can reduce the likelihood of scarring by minimizing tension on the wound closure. When dissolvable stitches are not used, facial sutures will be removed at a post-operative appointment 5 to 6 days after your surgery, which prevents stitches from leaving permanent marks.
Extensive Study of Facial Structure and the Skin
Post-Operative Scar Management
A number of measures can also be taken post-operatively to reduce the risk of scarring. Following your procedure, you will be given detailed aftercare instructions, including wound-healing strategies. Vitamin E is sometimes used to aid healing and ensure wound closure with minimal redness or scarring. Both silicone wound strips and silicone gels are recommended to treat all types of scars, as they are quite effective in flattening and lightening scar tissue when used consistently in the months following surgery. It is important to avoid exposing your scar to direct sunlight, which can lead to pigment changes. Appling sunblock to the treatment area for at least one year post-operatively may help avoid hyper- or hypo-pigmentation.
In cases of hypertrophic, red, or irritated scars, Kenalog steroid injections may be recommended to optimize scar management. Your surgeon may also recommend gently massaging the scar to manually soften scar tissue. If your facial plastic surgeon feels that scar massage will minimize the appearance of your scars, this should be done only once the sutures have been removed and the wound has closed completely.
The best way to minimize the likelihood of visible scarring is to do your research when selecting a facial cosmetic surgeon in Toronto. Dr. Torgerson is a top plastic surgeon with specific facial plastic surgery experience. As such, he has the knowledge and skill necessary to mitigate the appearance of scarring while also providing patients with tips for reducing scar tissue post-operatively. To learn more about what sets Dr. Torgerson apart, please contact our clinic to schedule a consultation at our convenient Yorkville location.
The First Step Of Your Journey Begins With A Conversation
We'll Get Back to You Within 1 Business Day.
- 3 Must-Have Toronto Facial Cosmetic Surgery Maintenance Tips
- 5 Essential Questions To Ask Your Cosmetic Surgeon In Toronto
- 5 Helpful Ways to Know If You’re a Great Candidate for Toronto Facial Cosmetic Surgery
- 5 of The Most Popular Reasons To See A Cosmetic Surgeon in Toronto
- 5 Things To Consider When Choosing a Cosmetic Surgeon In Toronto
- A Look Into Popular Cosmetic Procedures In Asia
- Advice From a Toronto Plastic Surgeon | Will Plastic Surgery Make You Happier?
- Afraid of Plastic Surgery?
- Are Cosmetic Surgery and Plastic Surgery the Same?
- Can You Wear Makeup After Cosmetic Surgery?
- Choosing the Best Cosmetic Surgeon in Toronto
- Do Plastic Surgeons Turn Down Patients with Unrealistic Expectations?
- Do Your Homework When Considering A Cosmetic Surgeon In Toronto
- Does Your Cosmetic Surgery Call for A Do-Over?
- Don’t Get Scammed – What to Look for When Choosing a Facial Plastic Surgeon
- Facial Contouring Surgery – Find Out How Small Adjustments Can Transform Your Life
- Facial Cosmetic Surgery in Toronto Can Have Barely Any Scars
- Facial Cosmetic Surgery in Toronto Has Advanced in Surprising Ways
- Facial Cosmetic Surgery is More Popular Than Ever!
- Factors Predicting Satisfaction Among Patients Seeking Facial Cosmetic Surgery
- Factors You Haven’t Considered Before Choosing Your Plastic Surgeon
- Find a Plastic Surgeon in Toronto- Here’s What to Look For
- How Can You Properly Take Care of Your Skin After Your Cosmetic Surgery Procedure?
- How Can You Tell if Your Facial Surgeon is Qualified?
- How Does a Facial Plastic Surgeon Avoid Leaving Scars?
- How Will You Know You’re Ready to Meet With a Cosmetic Surgeon in Toronto?
- Learn 2 Ways The Best Plastic Surgeons in Toronto Prevent an “Overdone” Look
- Male Plastic Surgery Toronto
- Men and Plastic Surgery
- Mommy Makeover Craze
- Most Popular Plastic Surgery Procedures
- Plastic Surgeon vs. Cosmetic Surgeon | What’s the Difference?
- Plastic Surgeon vs. Cosmetic Surgeon in Toronto : Four Myths
- Plastic Surgery Tourism
- Popular Male Plastic Surgery Procedures
- Preparing for Plastic Surgery: General Guidelines
- Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
- Revenge Plastic Surgery
- Selecting a Cosmetic Surgeon in Toronto Starts with These 3 Important Things
- Strategies to Avoid Regret and Choose the Best Plastic Surgeon in Toronto for You
- Talking To Your Plastic Surgeon In Toronto: 7 Most Important Questions
- The 5-Part Process Everybody Ought to Know When Working With a Facial Plastic Surgeon
- The Best Plastic Surgeons in Toronto Know These Industry Beauty Secrets to Transform You
- The History of Modern Plastic Surgery
- The Perfect Face
- The Top 5 Reasons For Cosmetic Plastic Surgery
- These Are the Top Consultation Questions to Ask Your Toronto Plastic Surgeon
- Things to Consider Before Choosing Your Plastic Surgeon
- Tips to Know Before Recovering from Your Facial Plastic Surgery
- Too old for Plastic Surgery?
- Top 3 Reasons To Get Plastic Surgery During The Holidays
- Top Five Reasons for Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
- Toronto Cosmetic Surgeons Reveal Insider Advice You Need
- Toronto Facial Cosmetic Surgery – How Can Surgeons Make You Look Younger?
- Toronto Facial Cosmetic Surgery for Men Is More Common Than You Think
- Toronto Plastic Surgeons Use These Two Techniques to Wake Up Tired Eyes
- What Are Some of the Most Popular Plastic Surgery Procedures by Age?
- What Is Gore-Tex?
- What Is The Shelf Life Of Your Cosmetic Surgery Procedure?
- What Season is the Best for Facial Surgery
- What Should Happen at a Consultation with a Plastic Surgeon?
- What To Expect After Plastic Surgery
- When Is The Best Time For Men To See A Plastic Surgeon In Toronto?
- Why You Should See Your Plastic Surgeon When the Weather in Toronto Gets Colder
- Your Role in Maintaining Facial Cosmetic Surgery Results
- Your Toronto Plastic Surgeon Will Ask You These 5 Questions
State-Of-The-Art Surgical Facility
Our facility offers a luxurious, comfortable and private setting for consultations and surgery with a waiting room that is both spacious and inviting. Although we hope you don’t have to spend too much time waiting to see Dr. Torgerson, within a few minutes you will feel relaxed and at ease.
*Disclaimer: Similar and/or permanent results are not guaranteed based on the treatment/procedure and may vary from patient to patient, based on multiple factors, including genetics and lifestyle of each patient.*
Please note that the Medicine Act, 1991, Part II: Advertising Regulations restricts and regulates advertising by physicians in Ontario. Compliance with these regulations restricts advertising and promotional content. Accordingly, the content of this website is intended for educational and informational purposes only, as the internet is an electronic information system and you are viewing this page unsolicited.
*If you require any further information to learn how our office is fully compliant with Ontario's Personal Health Information Protection Act, please contact us to connect with our Health Information Custodian.