Are Cosmetic Surgery and Plastic Surgery the Same?
Cosmetic surgery is performed for aesthetic purposes and is primarily focused on maintaining a person’s appearance so that they look as fresh and vibrant as possible.
A common question among people who are interested in maintaining a youthful appearance and who are investigating the possibilities available to them is whether cosmetic surgery and plastic surgery are the same thing. The best way to understand these surgeries is to think of plastic surgery at the top with cosmetic surgery and reconstructive surgery underneath as two different branches.
Restoring A Person’s Appearance To “normal”
Non-essential And Essential Procedures
Reconstructive surgery is performed to restore the function or appearance of the body part to “normal”. Some surgeons separate the two types of surgery as cosmetic surgery being non-essential or elective and reconstructive surgery as being essential or necessary. Reconstructive surgeries are performed because of birth defects, injury, trauma, infection, or diseases such as cancer, among other things.
Most head and neck reconstructive surgery is performed by otolaryngologists – ear, nose, and throat surgeons – maxillo-facial surgeons, or facial plastic surgeons. Dr. Cory Torgerson is certified as both a facial plastic surgeon and an otolaryngologist. His extensive experience includes both types of plastic surgery. He has performed facial cosmetic surgery and reconstructive surgery at his private surgical facility in Yorkville.
One of the most gratifying parts of Dr. Torgerson’s career is restoring a person’s appearance to “normal”. He delights in not only rebuilding their faces, but also their self-esteem. More than anyone else, he is aware that appearance is a very important part of a person’s overall sense of well-being. Dr. Torgerson is experienced in operating to restore facial features that have been disfigured because of cancer and in performing skin grafts and inserting skin flaps due to wounds and burns. Once adolescents have reached their late teens, he is able to correct breathing blockages while straightening the nose at the same time (often called correcting a deviated septum).
Profound Understanding Of Facial Shapes, Facial Features, And Skin Types
Restoring Facial Features
A profound understanding of facial shapes, facial features, and skin types is imperative when performing reconstructive surgery. Restoring facial features to their original state after an injury or car accident requires years of training to develop the aesthetic eye and the artistry necessary to ensure that the end result looks as natural as possible and harmonizes with all other features. Dr. Torgerson has successfully merged the science of surgery with the study of beauty and is able to transform an injury, wound, or birth defect into a face that the person can be proud of.
At times, reconstructive surgery requires the use of implants to restore the feature to its original size or shape. Both silicone and Gore-Tex implants are used, but Dr. Torgerson prefers to use Gore-Tex. It has an excellent track record of assimilating to the patient’s body without any infection occurring.
Whether you are considering facial cosmetic surgery to enhance your appearance or reconstructive surgery to restore a feature’s functionality, Dr. Cory Torgerson is unmistakably your best choice. Many people have placed their trust in his capable, experienced hands because he treats all of his patients, as well as their faces, with the utmost respect.
The First Step Of Your Journey Begins With A Conversation
We'll Get Back to You Within 1 Business Day.
- Talking To Your Plastic Surgeon In Toronto: 7 Most Important Questions
- 5 Helpful Ways to Know If You’re a Great Candidate for Toronto Facial Cosmetic Surgery
- Toronto Facial Cosmetic Surgery – How Can Surgeons Make You Look Younger?
- Your Toronto Plastic Surgeon Will Ask You These 5 Questions
- Your Role in Maintaining Facial Cosmetic Surgery Results
- Why You Should See Your Plastic Surgeon When The Weather In Toronto Gets Colder
- What To Expect After Plastic Surgery
- What Should Happen at a Consultation with a Plastic Surgeon?
- What Season is the Best for Facial Surgery
- When Is The Best Time For Men To See A Plastic Surgeon In Toronto?
- What Is The Shelf Life Of Your Cosmetic Surgery Procedure?
- What Is Gore-Tex?
- What Are Some of the Most Popular Plastic Surgery Procedures by Age?
- Toronto Plastic Surgeons Use These Two Techniques to Wake Up Tired Eyes
- Toronto Facial Cosmetic Surgery for Men Is More Common Than You Think
- Toronto Cosmetic Surgeons Reveal Insider Advice You Need
- Top Five Reasons for Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
- Too old for Plastic Surgery?
- Things to Consider Before Choosing Your Plastic Surgeon
- Tips to Know Before Recovering from Your Facial Plastic Surgery
- Top 3 Reasons To Get Plastic Surgery During The Holidays
- These Are the Top Consultation Questions to Ask Your Toronto Plastic Surgeon
- The Perfect Face
- The Top 5 Reasons For Cosmetic Plastic Surgery
- The History of Modern Plastic Surgery
- The Best Plastic Surgeons in Toronto Know These Industry Beauty Secrets to Transform You
- The 5-Part Process Everybody Ought to Know When Working With a Facial Plastic Surgeon
- Strategies to Avoid Regret and Choose the Best Plastic Surgeon in Toronto for You
- Selecting a Cosmetic Surgeon in Toronto Starts with These 3 Important Things
- Revenge Plastic Surgery
- Popular Male Plastic Surgery Procedures
- Preparing for Plastic Surgery: General Guidelines
- Plastic Surgeon vs. Cosmetic Surgeon in Toronto : Four Myths
- Plastic Surgery Tourism
- Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
- Plastic Surgeon vs. Cosmetic Surgeon | What’s the Difference?
- Mommy Makeover Craze
- Most Popular Plastic Surgery Procedures
- Male Plastic Surgery Toronto
- Men and Plastic Surgery
- Learn 2 Ways The Best Plastic Surgeons in Toronto Prevent an “Overdone” Look
- How Will You Know You’re Ready to Meet With a Cosmetic Surgeon in Toronto?
- How Does a Facial Plastic Surgeon Avoid Leaving Scars?
- How Can You Properly Take Care of Your Skin After Your Cosmetic Surgery Procedure?
- How Can You Tell if Your Facial Surgeon is Qualified?
- Find a Plastic Surgeon in Toronto- Here’s What to Look For
- Factors You Haven’t Considered Before Choosing Your Plastic Surgeon
- Facial Cosmetic Surgery is More Popular Than Ever!
- Factors Predicting Satisfaction Among Patients Seeking Facial Cosmetic Surgery
- Facial Cosmetic Surgery in Toronto Can Have Barely Any Scars
- Facial Cosmetic Surgery in Toronto Has Advanced in Surprising Ways
- Facial Contouring Surgery – Find Out How Small Adjustments Can Transform Your Life
- Don’t Get Scammed – What to Look for When Choosing a Facial Plastic Surgeon
- Do Plastic Surgeons Turn Down Patients with Unrealistic Expectations?
- Does Your Cosmetic Surgery Call for A Do-Over?
- Do Your Homework When Considering A Cosmetic Surgeon In Toronto
- Choosing the Best Cosmetic Surgeon in Toronto
- Can You Wear Makeup After Cosmetic Surgery?
- Advice From a Toronto Plastic Surgeon | Will Plastic Surgery Make You Happier?
- Afraid of Plastic Surgery?
- Are Cosmetic Surgery and Plastic Surgery the Same?
- A Look Into Popular Cosmetic Procedures In Asia
- 5 Things To Consider When Choosing a Cosmetic Surgeon In Toronto
- 5 Essential Questions To Ask Your Cosmetic Surgeon In Toronto
- 3 Must-Have Toronto Facial Cosmetic Surgery Maintenance Tips
- 5 of The Most Popular Reasons To See A Cosmetic Surgeon in Toronto
State-Of-The-Art Surgical Facility
Our facility offers a luxurious, comfortable and private setting for consultations and surgery with a waiting room that is both spacious and inviting. Although we hope you don’t have to spend too much time waiting to see Dr. Torgerson, within a few minutes you will feel relaxed and at ease.
*Disclaimer: Similar and/or permanent results are not guaranteed based on the treatment/procedure and may vary from patient to patient, based on multiple factors, including genetics and lifestyle of each patient.*
Please note that the Medicine Act, 1991, Part II: Advertising Regulations restricts and regulates advertising by physicians in Ontario. Compliance with these regulations restricts advertising and promotional content. Accordingly, the content of this website is intended for educational and informational purposes only, as the internet is an electronic information system and you are viewing this page unsolicited.
*If you require any further information to learn how our office is fully compliant with Ontario's Personal Health Information Protection Act, please contact us to connect with our Health Information Custodian.