Is It Safe to Undergo a Second Revision Rhinoplasty?
Rhinoplasty can improve the functionality of the nose when septoplasty is performed to repair a deviated septum
Rhinoplasty, or nose reshaping, is a popular cosmetic surgical procedure that can greatly enhance a patient’s overall facial proportions by removing a dorsal hump, balancing symmetry of the face, or reducing the overall size of the nose. However, in some instances, when a patient’s goals are not met by the procedure, they may consider a second or even third surgery. It is important to be aware of the potential risks that are involved before committing to another rhinoplasty, because with each successive surgery, complication risks increase. Safety should always be the number one priority. The following considerations should be carefully reviewed before scheduling a second revision rhinoplasty.
Revision rhinoplasty can help you achieve your desired results
Choose a qualified surgeon
If you are considering tertiary rhinoplasty, choosing a highly qualified surgeon who specializes in reconstructive surgery is of the upmost importance. Rhinoplasty is one of the most difficult surgeries to perform, and the procedure itself is more complex the second and third time. Be sure that you select a certified surgeon who has extensive experience in revision rhinoplasty work. Also, review their previous results by consulting before and after pictures. During your initial consultation, Dr. Torgerson, a highly trained and respected facial plastic surgeon, will examine your nose carefully to ensure that you are a suitable candidate for a second revision rhinoplasty. He will apply his vast knowledge of the complex facial structure to achieve results that are both aesthetically pleasing and corrective, making certain that the third procedure is your last.
Secondary rhinoplasty can repair a bent or broken septum to improve your breathing
What are your goals for the procedure?
After selecting a highly experienced specialist in this field, it is crucial that you understand the surgeon’s plan for the procedure and have realistic expectations for the results. 3D imaging can be used to provide you with a clear image of the anticipated outcome. Be sure that the projected image satisfies your goals for the procedure, as it is not worth putting yourself through a third procedure if there is a risk that you will be dissatisfied. Dr. Torgerson will talk openly with you about the nose you envision and whether that is possible given your existing anatomy and effects from previous procedures. Due to the complex nature of revision rhinoplasty, it is important that you agree that the goal is to enhance your appearance, not to achieve perfection.
Risks/limitations of revision surgery
Each surgery will result in scar tissue formation, much of which isn’t readily seen on the outside of the nose. This means that tissues may be very difficult to work with and additional scarring can form.
The procedure itself will be more complicated due to the fact that alterations have already been made to the structural framework of the nose. Primary and even secondary rhinoplasty procedures can typically make use of the existing nose cartilage to build up nose contours. However, by the time a third surgery is performed, this nasal cartilage has often been depleted by the previous surgeries. As a result, tertiary rhinoplasty often requires cartilage grafts, which are taken from the septum, ears or even ribs, depending on the extent of the previous procedures.
- 5 Things To Consider When Selecting A Revision Rhinoplasty Surgeon in Toronto
- 9 Important Questions To Ask Your Revision Rhinoplasty Surgeon in Toronto
- All About Open vs. Closed Revision Rhinoplasty
- Can You Change Perceptions of Attractiveness And Success with A Rhinoplasty in Toronto?
- Choosing the Right Surgeon for Your Revision Rhinoplasty Procedure
- Comparing the Differences Between Your Primary and Revision Rhinoplasty Procedures
- Find Out If You Are A Candidate Prior To Speaking To Your Revision Rhinoplasty Surgeon in Toronto
- Five Signs You May Want To Consider Seeing A Revision Rhinoplasty Surgeon in Toronto
- Is It Safe to Undergo a Second Revision Rhinoplasty?
- Not Just Any Revision Rhinoplasty Surgeon in Toronto Can Fix Your Nose Job
- Revision Rhinoplasty Toronto Info
- Should You Trust Your Primary Surgeon for a Revision Rhinoplasty?
- Subtle Signs You May Need A Revision Rhinoplasty
- The Revision Rhinoplasty Risks You Should Be Aware Of
- The Ultimate Guide To Planning Your Revision Rhinoplasty In Toronto
- Tips for Recovery from a Revision Rhinoplasty Surgeon in Toronto
- What is Revision Rhinoplasty?
- Who is a Candidate for Revision Rhinoplasty?
State-Of-The-Art Surgical Facility
Our facility offers a luxurious, comfortable and private setting for consultations and surgery with a waiting room that is both spacious and inviting. Although we hope you don’t have to spend too much time waiting to see Dr. Torgerson, within a few minutes you will feel relaxed and at ease.