Most Common Rhinoplasty Limitations
Rhinoplasty is one of the most frequently requested cosmetic surgery procedures due to its ability to transform not only a patient’s nose, but also the overall appearance of their face
Whether you are hoping to eliminate a bothersome hump, refine your nasal tip, reduce the appearance of a hanging columella, or simply alter the overall size and/or shape of your nose, when performed by an experienced facial plastic surgeon, rhinoplasty can lead to dramatic results. However, as with any procedure, there are some limitations that patients should be aware of before going forward with nose-reshaping surgery.
Nose Harmony With Facial Features
Although rhinoplasty can be successfully performed on patients with thick or thin skin, there are potential limitations with each skin type, depending on the goal of the procedure.
While thick skin can be advantageous to patients undergoing rhinoplasty because it can hide any potential irregularities, it can also be difficult to achieve the desired definition or refinement of the nose. Patients with thick skin need to be aware that changes made to refine the underlying structures at the tip may not be visible through the skin. Thick-skinned patients who have soft nasal cartilage present an additional challenge. Dr. Torgerson will discuss these limitations with you as well as alternate techniques to achieve the desired results, such as thinning out the skin or using tip grafts.
In addition, there are advantages and disadvantages that thin-skinned patients should be aware of. Thin skin’s excellent ability to contract means that significant refinement can be achieved with rhinoplasty, providing considerable definition to the nose. However, although it is typically very minor, there is a possibility that cartilage and bone may be seen through thin skin following surgery. To minimize the likelihood of visible irregularities, more conservative surgical techniques are recommended.
Open & Closed Approaches
Although rhinoplasty can successfully improve the appearance of a twisted nose, it cannot completely correct this issue. Patients who are bothered by a twisted nose need to be aware of the limitations of this corrective procedure. Due to the stubborn nature of cartilage, it cannot be completely straightened because it naturally attempts to revert back to its original shape. However, minor changes can significantly improve the appearance of a twisted nose.
Modified nasal anatomy
Patients seeking revision, or secondary rhinoplasty, should be aware that there are a number of physical limitations. As a secondary surgery, revision rhinoplasty is more complicated because the nose has already been altered and some of the nasal cartilage may be depleted. In some instances, this may necessitate the use of cartilage grafts. In addition, the tough scar tissue that is present from the primary procedure means that careful and precise manipulation is required to ensure that the results are seamless. As a result, while minor changes can be made, it is not realistic to expect a dramatic transformation.
During your initial consultation with Dr. Torgerson, he will examine your nose carefully and explain any of your potential limitations to ensure that you are a good candidate for the procedure. It is crucial that your surgeon is upfront and honest about what can be realistically expected so that you will be truly satisfied with your results.
The First Step Of Your Journey Begins With A Conversation
We'll Get Back to You Within 1 Business Day.
- 10 Questions to Ask Before a Rhinoplasty
- 3 Tips for Selecting the Best Rhinoplasty Approach with Your Toronto Surgeon
- 4 Steps You Can Take to Enhance Your Nose (3 Are Non-Surgical)
- African-American Rhinoplasty
- Alar Base Reduction Rhinoplasty
- Are You Curious About Rhinoplasty Recovery? These Tips Can Help It Go Smoothly
- Asian Rhinoplasty
- Before a Toronto Nose-Reshaping Surgery Consultation, Read This (and Save Time)
- Do I Need A Rhinoplasty Or Non-Surgical Nose Job?
- Dr. Torgerson’s Rhinoplasty and Injectable Nose Job: A Side-by-Side Comparison
- Ethnic Rhinoplasty
- Everything You Need To Know About Non-Surgical Rhinoplasty (Nose Job)
- Facial Cosmetic Surgery and the Broken Nose
- Finesse Rhinoplasty
- Five Interesting Facts About Rhinoplasty
- For Toronto Rhinoplasty Results You Love, It’s Best to Have Realistic Expectations for Your Surgeon
- History of Rhinoplasty
- How Do I Prepare for a Nose Surgery Procedure?
- How Long Does Rhinoplasty Surgery Take?
- How Often Can You Get Plastic Surgery?
- How Old Do You Have To Be To Get A Nose Job?
- How to Choose a Rhinoplasty Surgeon
- Learn Why Nose Reshaping Without Surgery in Toronto Is So Tempting
- Myths About Rhinoplasty
- Nasal Implant FAQ
- Nose (Rhinoplasty) Surgery
- Nose Reshaping Before & After Photos on Smartphones: Can You Trust?
- Nose Reshaping Toronto: The Cosmetic Surgery That Fits Everyone
- Nose Surgery Before and After
- Nose Surgery Cost
- Nose Surgery Overview
- Nose Surgery Toronto
- Nose-Reshaping Surgery in Toronto: Why Is It Still in Demand (and What Alternative is Catching Up?)
- Planning a Rhinoplasty? 3 Must-Know Factors That Affect Results
- Post-Rhinoplasty Healing Timeline
- Recovery from Rhinoplasty – Day 1 to One Year
- Rhinoplasty Before and After
- Rhinoplasty Cost In Toronto
- Rhinoplasty Do’s and Don’ts
- Rhinoplasty Questions and Answers
- Rhinoplasty Surgeons - Toronto’s Best Facial Cosmetic Investment
- Rhinoplasty Surgeons in Toronto Share the Best Tips to Get You Ready for a Nose Job
- Rhinoplasty Toronto – Reviews Might Not Tell You These 7 Essential Things
- Rhinoplasty, Social Media, and DIY — Where Are We Headed?
- Saddle Nose Deformity
- Septoplasty and Rhinoplasty: What Is The Difference?
- Septoplasty Functional Rhinoplasty : Toronto
- Surgical Facial Masculinization Procedures For Men
- The Top Toronto Rhinoplasty Surgeon Guide for 2020
- Things to Consider Before a Rhinoplasty
- Toronto Nose Reshaping Success: How to Overcome 5 Obstacles
- Toronto Nose-Reshaping Surgery: What Can It Do for You?
- Toronto Rhinoplasty - Surgeon’s Tips for Best Results
- Toronto Rhinoplasty - What’s The Best Time To Meet With a Surgeon?
- Toronto Surgeons Recommend Mentally Preparing for Best Rhinoplasty Results
- Toronto’s Nose-Reshaping Secrets: Why It’s Getting Harder to Tell Who’s Had Nose Jobs
- Using Implants in Rhinoplasty
- What is a Rhinoplasty?
- What is Involved in Rhinoplasty Surgery?
- What is the Cost of a Rhinoplasty?
- What Is The Healing Process After Nose Surgery?
- What To Expect On The Day of Rhinoplasty Surgery
- What Will Your Rhinoplasty Cost Be? It Depends on These 3 Things
- What You Should Know About Revision Rhinoplasty
- When to Consider Nose Surgery: Pros & Cons
- Why Is Rhinoplasty One Of The Hardest Procedures?