Plastic Surgery Tourism
It seems odd that plastic surgery would be combined with travel, but as the number of people seeking plastic surgery rises, companies have jumped on the bandwagon to market plastic surgery as a vacation.
This poses the question, Do these companies realize that plastic surgery is for real?! A facelift, rhinoplasty, or blepharoplasty are, in fact, considered major surgery. Of course, the lure to their marketing scheme is always money, and they capitalize on you receiving your new look for thousands of dollars cheaper than here in Canada. If you are considering plastic surgery, there are several things you need to carefully consider before booking a flight to a foreign land to save money.
Many Health Insurance Policies Are Not Valid For Situations Like This In Other Countries
Medical Screening And Pre-op Appointments
People who have undergone major plastic surgery will agree that they did not feel like running to the beach or riding around on a hop on-hop off bus tour after the operation. Time is necessary to heal properly, and complications can arise if post-operative instructions are not followed.
Many health insurance policies are not valid for situations like this in other countries, so if there were complications, you could be on the hook to pay for any carelessness on the part of the surgeon. You may not have any legal rights in another country to recoup those costs.
Plastic surgery also requires medical screening and some pre-op appointments for the surgeon to assess what you want to achieve. Does your “vacation” provide enough time for this vital aspect of surgery? It is important that your international surgeon as well as her/his staff are able to speak English fluently. Otherwise, they won’t understand your expectations or be able to assist if you experience complications after surgery.
Any major surgery requires post-op appointments as well to ensure that the patient is healing properly. Sometimes these are scheduled weeks after the surgery has taken place. It is not likely that your “vacation” would allow for an adequate post-op assessment. Another consideration is whether your travel arrangements provide a comfortable place for you to stay while you are recuperating.
Ensure That The Surgeon Is Actually Licensed
Education And Training Of International Surgeons
Anyone investigating plastic surgery tourism should do their due diligence to ensure that the surgeon is actually licenced. Often the education and training of international surgeons does not meet North American standards. If you are satisfied that they are legitimate, another important question is whether they have had adequate experience. Are references from previous patients available? Are before and after photos of previous patients also available? What about their facility? Is their operating room sterile? Another vital question to ask before proceeding is whether they follow the World Health Organization surgical safety checklist. The “WHO list” is comprised of 19 questions that can be compared with a pilot’s pre-flight checklist.
The final piece of advice prior to booking your facial cosmetic vacation is to sit down and total all the costs. Your airline fare, additional health insurance coverage, hotel charges, meals, and last but not least, the additional charges if you experience complications or require revision surgery. Often revision surgery is more expensive than the initial plastic surgery.
“You get what you pay for” is a saying that has been around for a long time, so make sure you really do!
The First Step Of Your Journey Begins With A Conversation
We'll Get Back to You Within 1 Business Day.
- Why You Should See Your Plastic Surgeon When the Weather in Toronto Gets Colder
- What Is The Shelf Life Of Your Cosmetic Surgery Procedure?
- Top Five Reasons for Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
- How Can You Properly Take Care of Your Skin After Your Cosmetic Surgery Procedure?
- Plastic Surgeon vs. Cosmetic Surgeon in Toronto : Four Myths
- Facial Cosmetic Surgery in Toronto Can Have Barely Any Scars
- Strategies to Avoid Regret and Choose the Best Plastic Surgeon in Toronto for You
- How Can You Tell if Your Facial Surgeon is Qualified?
- Your Role in Maintaining Facial Cosmetic Surgery Results
- What Are Some of the Most Popular Plastic Surgery Procedures by Age?
- Top 3 Reasons To Get Plastic Surgery During The Holidays
- Tips to Know Before Recovering from Your Facial Plastic Surgery
- Things to Consider Before Choosing Your Plastic Surgeon
- The 5-Part Process Everybody Ought to Know When Working With a Facial Plastic Surgeon
- Men and Plastic Surgery
- Male Plastic Surgery Toronto
- How Does a Facial Plastic Surgeon Avoid Leaving Scars?
- Facial Cosmetic Surgery is More Popular Than Ever!
- Does Your Cosmetic Surgery Call for A Do-Over?
- Too old for Plastic Surgery?
- Popular Male Plastic Surgery Procedures
- Factors You Haven’t Considered Before Choosing Your Plastic Surgeon
- Don’t Get Scammed – What to Look for When Choosing a Facial Plastic Surgeon
- Talking To Your Plastic Surgeon In Toronto: 7 Most Important Questions
- 5 Helpful Ways to Know If You’re a Great Candidate for Toronto Facial Cosmetic Surgery
- Toronto Facial Cosmetic Surgery – How Can Surgeons Make You Look Younger?
- Your Toronto Plastic Surgeon Will Ask You These 5 Questions
- What Season is the Best for Facial Surgery
- When Is The Best Time For Men To See A Plastic Surgeon In Toronto?
- What Should Happen at a Consultation with a Plastic Surgeon?
- What To Expect After Plastic Surgery
- What Is Gore-Tex?
- Toronto Facial Cosmetic Surgery for Men Is More Common Than You Think
- Toronto Plastic Surgeons Use These Two Techniques to Wake Up Tired Eyes
- Toronto Cosmetic Surgeons Reveal Insider Advice You Need
- These Are the Top Consultation Questions to Ask Your Toronto Plastic Surgeon
- The Perfect Face
- The Top 5 Reasons For Cosmetic Plastic Surgery
- The Best Plastic Surgeons in Toronto Know These Industry Beauty Secrets to Transform You
- The History of Modern Plastic Surgery
- Selecting a Cosmetic Surgeon in Toronto Starts with These 3 Important Things
- Revenge Plastic Surgery
- Plastic Surgery Tourism
- Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
- Preparing for Plastic Surgery: General Guidelines
- Plastic Surgeon vs. Cosmetic Surgeon | What’s the Difference?
- Mommy Makeover Craze
- Most Popular Plastic Surgery Procedures
- Learn 2 Ways The Best Plastic Surgeons in Toronto Prevent an “Overdone” Look
- How Will You Know You’re Ready to Meet With a Cosmetic Surgeon in Toronto?
- Find a Plastic Surgeon in Toronto- Here’s What to Look For
- Facial Cosmetic Surgery in Toronto Has Advanced in Surprising Ways
- Factors Predicting Satisfaction Among Patients Seeking Facial Cosmetic Surgery
- Facial Contouring Surgery – Find Out How Small Adjustments Can Transform Your Life
- Do Your Homework When Considering A Cosmetic Surgeon In Toronto
- Do Plastic Surgeons Turn Down Patients with Unrealistic Expectations?
- Choosing the Best Cosmetic Surgeon in Toronto
- Can You Wear Makeup After Cosmetic Surgery?
- Advice From a Toronto Plastic Surgeon | Will Plastic Surgery Make You Happier?
- Afraid of Plastic Surgery?
- Are Cosmetic Surgery and Plastic Surgery the Same?
- A Look Into Popular Cosmetic Procedures In Asia
- 5 Things To Consider When Choosing a Cosmetic Surgeon In Toronto
- 5 Essential Questions To Ask Your Cosmetic Surgeon In Toronto
- 3 Must-Have Toronto Facial Cosmetic Surgery Maintenance Tips
- 5 of The Most Popular Reasons To See A Cosmetic Surgeon in Toronto
State-Of-The-Art Surgical Facility
Our facility offers a luxurious, comfortable and private setting for consultations and surgery with a waiting room that is both spacious and inviting. Although we hope you don’t have to spend too much time waiting to see Dr. Torgerson, within a few minutes you will feel relaxed and at ease.
*Disclaimer: Similar and/or permanent results are not guaranteed based on the treatment/procedure and may vary from patient to patient, based on multiple factors, including genetics and lifestyle of each patient.*
Please note that the Medicine Act, 1991, Part II: Advertising Regulations restricts and regulates advertising by physicians in Ontario. Compliance with these regulations restricts advertising and promotional content. Accordingly, the content of this website is intended for educational and informational purposes only, as the internet is an electronic information system and you are viewing this page unsolicited.
*If you require any further information to learn how our office is fully compliant with Ontario's Personal Health Information Protection Act, please contact us to connect with our Health Information Custodian.