Here is a list of potential questions you might want to ask:
1. Is this private surgery centre licensed? Our clinic has received the highest ranking available (Level 3 Facility) by the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario, the governing board that regulates private surgical facilities.
2. Are you a certified surgeon? Dr. Torgerson is licensed by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada, having the highest levels of education that a Facial Plastic surgeon can achieve, along with an additional PhD in Neuroscience.
3. Were you trained in the field of plastic surgery? He is not only an ear, nose, and throat surgeon (Otolaryngologist), but has received further distinction by completing a fellowship to become a facial plastic surgeon.
4. How many years of plastic surgery training did you receive? After 4 years of medical school, Dr. Torgerson completed an additional 5 years of ENT Surgical Residency, followed by another year of fellowship training. That’s an impressive 10 years coupled together with another 8 years of post-secondary education, including a PhD. This means that Dr. Torgerson has over 18 years of the highest and most competitive educational background available in Canada today!
5. What are my responsibilities in order to have a successful rhinoplasty? It is important for patients to follow all instructions before and after surgery. How to prepare for the operation as well as what to do post-op will be explained in detail for you. The list will include what medications you will be required to take and what concerns to look for once the operation is complete and you are in the healing process. Being honest with Dr. Torgerson about previous surgeries, medication, allergies, etc., is also the patient’s responsibility.