10 Questions to Ask Before a Rhinoplasty
It is normal to feel slightly anxious when considering any facial cosmetic surgery
Preparing a list of questions prior to your initial consultation will ensure that you remember all of your concerns in order to gain complete understanding of the procedure. Booking a private consultation at our Toronto surgery centre is the first step. Our friendly, knowledgeable staff will make you feel welcome and comfortable. You will find that Dr. Cory Torgerson is very approachable and happy to answer all of your questions. Our team at the Toronto Facial Cosmetic Surgery Clinic are big believers in any prospective patient doing their research before choosing their top cosmetic surgeon. Full comprehension of rhinoplasty surgery alleviates concerns and prepares patients with what to expect.
Potential questions you might want to ask:
1. Is this private surgery centre licensed? Our clinic has received the highest ranking available (Level 3 Facility) by the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario, the governing board that regulates private surgical facilities.
2. Are you a certified surgeon? Dr. Torgerson is licensed by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada, having the highest levels of education that a Facial Plastic surgeon can achieve, along with an additional PhD in Neuroscience.
3. Were you trained in the field of plastic surgery? He is not only an ear, nose, and throat surgeon (Otolaryngologist), but has received further distinction by completing a fellowship to become a facial plastic surgeon.
4. How many years of plastic surgery training did you receive? After 4 years of medical school, Dr. Torgerson completed an additional 5 years of ENT Surgical Residency, followed by another year of fellowship training. That’s an impressive 10 years coupled together with another 8 years of post-secondary education, including a PhD. This means that Dr. Torgerson has over 18 years of the highest and most competitive educational background available in Canada today!
5. What are my responsibilities in order to have a successful rhinoplasty? It is important for patients to follow all instructions before and after surgery. How to prepare for the operation as well as what to do post-op will be explained in detail for you. The list will include what medications you will be required to take and what concerns to look for once the operation is complete and you are in the healing process. Being honest with Dr. Torgerson about previous surgeries, medication, allergies, etc., is also the patient’s responsibility.
Questions to Ask Before Rhinoplasty
6. Am I a good candidate for a rhinoplasty? Your concerns as well as your expectations will be discussed. It is important that you maintain realistic goals and that you are emotionally prepared to undergo surgery.
7. What surgical technique will you use? The “closed approach”, where entrance is made through the nostrils, is the technique used, as it lessens the amount of swelling that candidates experience.
8. How long of a recovery period can I expect? Dr. Torgerson advises at least 1 week, but preferably 2 weeks of downtime, if possible. Packing will be placed inside the nose and a splint on the outside to protect the nose during the first week. Bruising and swelling can be expected, but there will be a noticeable reduction in the bruising after just 1 week. The tip of a nose experiences the most swelling, and it can take up to 1 full year for that swelling to minimize completely.
9. What are the risks and complications? Infection is a concern with any surgery, and antibiotics are prescribed to guard against this. Excessive bleeding is dealt with by asking the patients to minimize head movements and sleep in an elevated position to decrease blood flow to the head as well as to decrease and limit certain medications and herbal remedies prior to surgery. Rhinoplasty patients must take extra precaution to protect their nose from being bumped during the healing process while the cartilage is repairing.
10. Can I see before and after photos of Rhinoplasty patients? Dr. Torgerson will be happy to review photos of his previous rhinoplasty patients. You will be able to see what his years of experience and expertise have accomplished for other people! Using Dr. Torgerson’s 3D VECTRA imaging system, you will also be able to choose the modifications you would prefer on your nose post-operatively and come up with a mutually agreed-upon surgical plan.
The First Step Of Your Journey Begins With A Conversation
We'll Get Back to You Within 1 Business Day.
State-Of-The-Art Surgical Facility
Our facility offers a luxurious, comfortable and private setting for consultations and surgery with a waiting room that is both spacious and inviting. Although we hope you don’t have to spend too much time waiting to see Dr. Torgerson, within a few minutes you will feel relaxed and at ease.