Five Interesting Facts About Rhinoplasty
Rhinoplasty (nose job) is cosmetic (plastic) surgery
While most people have heard of it or even know someone who has had it done, there are a few things that the majority of people do not know about rhinoplasty or may have never even thought about. Here are five interesting facts about rhinoplasty that you may not know:
Rhinoplasty is older than you think
Rhinoplasty was performed for the first time about 2,500 years ago. Yes, that’s right – 2,500 years ago! The techniques used then were similar to the techniques used today. A medical book from India explains those techniques and how they were used to repair noses that were damaged or cut off in battle.
The discovery of that book and the procedures written in it brought rhinoplasty to England in the 18th century. The surgery would become a popular procedure throughout the cosmetic industry, especially for the stars of Hollywood.
One of the most common forms of cosmetic surgery today is rhinoplasty
In 2007 alone, there were 12 million cosmetic surgeries done. The top 5 of those were rhinoplasty, breast augmentation, liposuction, eyelid surgery, and abdominoplasty. Those procedures have always been at the top of the list, but the order in which they rank changes often.
Cartilage and skin from other parts of the body are often used
Cartilage and skin from other parts of the body is used, when needed, to make the nose longer or to reconstruct a nose that has been damaged. Cartilage can be taken from the ear or rib area, and skin is commonly taken from the forehead.
Why it’s called “plastic surgery” when it doesn’t use plastic
The term was used before modern plastic was even invented. It actually comes from the Latin word “plasticus” and the Greek word “plastikos”, meaning to mold or shape or relating to molding or shaping.
Today when people hear the words “plastic surgery”, they might automatically think of modern plastics formed as a prosthetic. While there are some times when plastic might be used for various types of implants, etc., generally cartilage is used for rhinoplasty.
While rhinoplasty is in the group of cosmetic surgeries, it isn’t always just for cosmetic reasons
Rhinoplasty is also used to repair noses that have been damaged by cancer, birth defects, or accidents. The surgery can also be used to correct medical issues, such as a deviated septum, which can cause breathing difficulties for the patient.
While many people will think that rhinoplasty is just for looks, there are other reasons that will require repair and reshaping of the nose. So while sometimes it is done for cosmetic reasons to improve appearance and boost self-confidence, there are a number of medical reasons for the procedure as well.
Most cosmetic procedures performed today have rich and interesting histories. We hope that by sharing these facts about rhinoplasty, you will be able to think about this procedure in a new way.
The First Step Of Your Journey Begins With A Conversation
We'll Get Back to You Within 1 Business Day.
- Alar Base Reduction Rhinoplasty
- African-American Rhinoplasty
- Asian Rhinoplasty
- Rhinoplasty Cost In Toronto
- Do I Need A Rhinoplasty Or Non-Surgical Nose Job?
- Before a Toronto Nose-Reshaping Surgery Consultation, Read This (and Save Time)
- Toronto’s Nose-Reshaping Secrets: Why It’s Getting Harder to Tell Who’s Had Nose Jobs
- Rhinoplasty Surgeons - Toronto’s Best Facial Cosmetic Investment
- The Top Toronto Rhinoplasty Surgeon Guide for 2020
- How Old Do You Have To Be To Get A Nose Job?
- Why Is Rhinoplasty One Of The Hardest Procedures?
- What Will Your Rhinoplasty Cost Be? It Depends on These 3 Things
- When to Consider Nose Surgery: Pros & Cons
- What To Expect On The Day of Rhinoplasty Surgery
- What You Should Know About Revision Rhinoplasty
- What Is The Healing Process After Nose Surgery?
- What is the Cost of a Rhinoplasty?
- What is Involved in Rhinoplasty Surgery?
- What is a Rhinoplasty?
- Using Implants in Rhinoplasty
- Toronto Rhinoplasty - Surgeon’s Tips for Best Results
- Toronto Surgeons Recommend Mentally Preparing for Best Rhinoplasty Results
- Toronto Rhinoplasty - What’s The Best Time To Meet With a Surgeon?
- Toronto Nose Reshaping Success: How to Overcome 5 Obstacles
- Toronto Nose-Reshaping Surgery: What Can It Do for You?
- Things to Consider Before a Rhinoplasty
- Surgical Facial Masculinization Procedures For Men
- Septoplasty Functional Rhinoplasty : Toronto
- Septoplasty and Rhinoplasty: What Is The Difference?
- Saddle Nose Deformity
- Rhinoplasty Do’s and Don’ts
- Rhinoplasty Surgeons in Toronto Share the Best Tips to Get You Ready for a Nose Job
- Rhinoplasty Toronto – Reviews Might Not Tell You These 7 Essential Things
- Rhinoplasty Before and After
- Rhinoplasty Questions and Answers
- Rhinoplasty, Social Media, and DIY — Where Are We Headed?
- Potential Side effects of Rhinoplasty
- Post-Rhinoplasty Healing Timeline
- Recovery from Rhinoplasty – Day 1 to One Year
- Nose Reshaping Before & After Photos on Smartphones: Can You Trust?
- Planning a Rhinoplasty? 3 Must-Know Factors That Affect Results
- Nose Reshaping Toronto: The Cosmetic Surgery That Fits Everyone
- Nose Surgery Before and After
- Nose Surgery Cost
- Nose Surgery Toronto
- Nose (Rhinoplasty) Surgery
- Nose Surgery Overview
- Nose-Reshaping Surgery in Toronto: Why Is It Still in Demand (and What Alternative is Catching Up?)
- Nasal Implant FAQ
- Myths About Rhinoplasty
- Learn Why Nose Reshaping Without Surgery in Toronto Is So Tempting
- How to Choose a Rhinoplasty Surgeon
- How Often Can You Get Plastic Surgery?
- How Do I Prepare for a Nose Surgery Procedure?
- How Long Does Rhinoplasty Surgery Take?
- History of Rhinoplasty
- For Toronto Rhinoplasty Results You Love, It’s Best to Have Realistic Expectations for Your Surgeon
- Five Interesting Facts About Rhinoplasty
- Finesse Rhinoplasty
- Facial Cosmetic Surgery and the Broken Nose
- Everything You Need To Know About Non-Surgical Rhinoplasty (Nose Job)
- Ethnic Rhinoplasty
- Dr. Torgerson’s Rhinoplasty and Injectable Nose Job: A Side-by-Side Comparison
- Are You Curious About Rhinoplasty Recovery? These Tips Can Help It Go Smoothly
- 3 Tips for Selecting the Best Rhinoplasty Approach with Your Toronto Surgeon
- 4 Steps You Can Take to Enhance Your Nose (3 Are Non-Surgical)
- 10 Questions to Ask Before a Rhinoplasty
State-Of-The-Art Surgical Facility
Our facility offers a luxurious, comfortable and private setting for consultations and surgery with a waiting room that is both spacious and inviting. Although we hope you don’t have to spend too much time waiting to see Dr. Torgerson, within a few minutes you will feel relaxed and at ease.
*Disclaimer: Similar and/or permanent results are not guaranteed based on the treatment/procedure and may vary from patient to patient, based on multiple factors, including genetics and lifestyle of each patient.*
Please note that the Medicine Act, 1991, Part II: Advertising Regulations restricts and regulates advertising by physicians in Ontario. Compliance with these regulations restricts advertising and promotional content. Accordingly, the content of this website is intended for educational and informational purposes only, as the internet is an electronic information system and you are viewing this page unsolicited.
*If you require any further information to learn how our office is fully compliant with Ontario's Personal Health Information Protection Act, please contact us to connect with our Health Information Custodian.