History of Rhinoplasty
Dr. Cory Torgerson conducts facial plastic surgery at his state-of-the-art private clinic in downtown Toronto
He is experienced in all areas of ear, nose, and throat surgery as well as facial cosmetic procedures. The medical professionals who pioneered the techniques that are used today would marvel if they toured his facility and saw the advancements that have taken place. Dr. Torgerson is considered a rhinoplasty expert and is an international teacher on the subject. You may be surprised that the birth of the “nose job” began centuries ago in ancient Egypt..
Rhinoplasty From Antiquity To Our Modern Era
3000 BC – An ancient Egyptian medical text, known as the Edwin Smith Papyrus, describes surgery to reconstruct facial features.
1550 BC – A second Egyptian medical papyrus, known as the Ebers Papyrus, is found detailing crude methods to repair and reshape the nose.
800 BC – An Indian physician known as Sushruta develops surgical techniques to repair and even replace noses. He publishes a detailed manual and is the first to describe using a skin flap, cut from the forehead, to lay over the nose and repair it for aesthetic purposes. Cutting off a person’s nose was punishment for a crime and also a cult practice in his era, so he had plenty of patients!
27 BC – 476 AD (Roman Empire) – Cornelius Celsus is the next surgeon to publish medical notes on his techniques for reconstructing noses and ears.
300 AD (Byzantine Era) – Oribasius, the royal physician, publishes extensive notes on using skin flaps in facial repair.
10th century – There is no record of rhinoplasty surgery for centuries until an Anglo-Saxon surgeon publishes a manual called the Leechbook.
Rhinoplasty In Our Era
11th century – An Arab physician named Usaibia translates Sushruta’s notes from Sanskrit into Arabic. Rhinoplasty surgery based on his ancient transcript becomes widespread in the Middle East and is adopted in the West by the 15th century.
16th century – A professor of surgery at the University of Bologna, named Tagliacozzi, publishes notes on the surgical repair of facial wounds in soldiers. He is the first to record using a pedicle flap in reconstruction.
18th century – East India Company surgeons named Cruso and Findlay watch rhinoplasty surgery taking place in India using Sushruta’s methods, which have been practiced for centuries. This causes a resurgence of reconstructive surgery in the West.
19th century – In 1887, Dr. John Orlando Roe is the first modern surgeon to perform saddle nose deformity rhinoplasty and record it in medical journals.
20th century – Notable pioneers in rhinoplasty surgery are Freer and Killian.
Throughout the last century, both open and closed methods of surgery have been perfected. Dr. Torgerson prefers to use the closed method, where incisions are hidden underneath the nose. If you are considering a change in your look, even a slight alteration to your nose can enhance your overall appearance and help you gain more self-confidence.
Rhinoplasty surgery has been practiced for centuries and has evolved in leaps and bounds to become the most popular type of facial plastic surgery performed today, so you can put your confidence in modern science and in the expert hands of Dr. Torgerson, a cosmetic facial expert.
The First Step Of Your Journey Begins With A Conversation
We'll Get Back to You Within 1 Business Day.
- Learn Why Nose Reshaping Without Surgery in Toronto Is So Tempting
- Nose Reshaping Before & After Photos on Smartphones: Can You Trust?
- Toronto Nose Reshaping Success: How to Overcome 5 Obstacles
- Nose Reshaping Toronto: The Cosmetic Surgery That Fits Everyone
- Nose-Reshaping Surgery in Toronto: Why Is It Still in Demand (and What Alternative is Catching Up?)
- Toronto Nose-Reshaping Surgery: What Can It Do for You?
- Dr. Torgerson’s Rhinoplasty and Injectable Nose Job: A Side-by-Side Comparison
- 4 Steps You Can Take to Enhance Your Nose (3 Are Non-Surgical)
- What Will Your Rhinoplasty Cost Be? It Depends on These 3 Things
- Rhinoplasty Toronto – Reviews Might Not Tell You These 7 Essential Things
- Rhinoplasty Surgeons in Toronto Share the Best Tips to Get You Ready for a Nose Job
- Are You Curious About Rhinoplasty Recovery? These Tips Can Help It Go Smoothly
- Rhinoplasty, Social Media, and DIY — Where Are We Headed?
- Planning a Rhinoplasty? 3 Must-Know Factors That Affect Results
- Asian Rhinoplasty
- 3 Tips for Selecting the Best Rhinoplasty Approach with Your Toronto Surgeon
- Toronto Rhinoplasty - What’s The Best Time To Meet With a Surgeon?
- Toronto Surgeons Recommend Mentally Preparing for Best Rhinoplasty Results
- For Toronto Rhinoplasty Results You Love, It’s Best to Have Realistic Expectations for Your Surgeon
- Toronto Rhinoplasty - Surgeon’s Tips for Best Results
- Everything You Need To Know About Non-Surgical Rhinoplasty (Nose Job)
- What is the Cost of a Rhinoplasty?
- Nose Surgery Cost
- Cost Of Rhinoplasty In Toronto
- Nasal Implant FAQ
- Septoplasty and Rhinoplasty: What Is The Difference?
- African-American Rhinoplasty
- What is Involved in Rhinoplasty Surgery?
- Rhinoplasty Do’s and Don’ts
- How to Choose a Rhinoplasty Surgeon
- What is a Rhinoplasty?
- What You Should Know About Revision Rhinoplasty
- When to Consider Nose Surgery: Pros & Cons
- Nose (Rhinoplasty) Surgery
- Rhinoplasty Before and After
- Five Interesting Facts About Rhinoplasty
- How Do I Prepare for a Nose Surgery Procedure?
- How Often Can You Get Plastic Surgery?
- Things to Consider Before a Rhinoplasty
- Potential Side effects of Rhinoplasty
- Surgical Facial Masculinization Procedures For Men
- Facial Cosmetic Surgery and the Broken Nose
- Post-Rhinoplasty Healing Timeline
- History of Rhinoplasty
- Ethnic Rhinoplasty
- Recovery from Rhinoplasty – Day 1 to One Year
- 10 Questions to Ask Before a Rhinoplasty
- Saddle Nose Deformity
- Nose Surgery Before and After
- What Is The Healing Process After Nose Surgery?
- Rhinoplasty Questions and Answers
- Why Is Rhinoplasty One Of The Hardest Procedures?
- Alar Base Reduction Rhinoplasty
- Finesse Rhinoplasty
- Septoplasty Functional Rhinoplasty : Toronto
- How Old Do You Have To Be To Get A Nose Job?
- Myths About Rhinoplasty
- Using Implants in Rhinoplasty
- Do I Need A Rhinoplasty Or Non-Surgical Nose Job?
- Nose Surgery Toronto
- How Long Does Rhinoplasty Surgery Take?
- What To Expect On The Day of Rhinoplasty Surgery
- Nose Surgery Overview
State-Of-The-Art Surgical Facility
Our facility offers a luxurious, comfortable and private setting for consultations and surgery with a waiting room that is both spacious and inviting. Although we hope you don’t have to spend too much time waiting to see Dr. Torgerson, within a few minutes you will feel relaxed and at ease.
*Disclaimer: Similar and/or permanent results are not guaranteed based on the treatment/procedure and may vary from patient to patient, based on multiple factors, including genetics and lifestyle of each patient.*
Please note that the Medicine Act, 1991, Part II: Advertising Regulations restricts and regulates advertising by physicians in Ontario. Compliance with these regulations restricts advertising and promotional content. Accordingly, the content of this website is intended for educational and informational purposes only, as the internet is an electronic information system and you are viewing this page unsolicited.
*If you require any further information to learn how our office is fully compliant with Ontario's Personal Health Information Protection Act, please contact us to connect with our Health Information Custodian.