Most Common Rhinoplasty Limitations
Rhinoplasty is one of the most frequently requested cosmetic surgery procedures due to its ability to transform not only a patient’s nose, but also the overall appearance of their face
Whether you are hoping to eliminate a bothersome hump, refine your nasal tip, reduce the appearance of a hanging columella, or simply alter the overall size and/or shape of your nose, when performed by an experienced facial plastic surgeon, rhinoplasty can lead to dramatic results. However, as with any procedure, there are some limitations that patients should be aware of before going forward with nose-reshaping surgery.
Nose Harmony With Facial Features
Although rhinoplasty can be successfully performed on patients with thick or thin skin, there are potential limitations with each skin type, depending on the goal of the procedure.
While thick skin can be advantageous to patients undergoing rhinoplasty because it can hide any potential irregularities, it can also be difficult to achieve the desired definition or refinement of the nose. Patients with thick skin need to be aware that changes made to refine the underlying structures at the tip may not be visible through the skin. Thick-skinned patients who have soft nasal cartilage present an additional challenge. Dr. Torgerson will discuss these limitations with you as well as alternate techniques to achieve the desired results, such as thinning out the skin or using tip grafts.
In addition, there are advantages and disadvantages that thin-skinned patients should be aware of. Thin skin’s excellent ability to contract means that significant refinement can be achieved with rhinoplasty, providing considerable definition to the nose. However, although it is typically very minor, there is a possibility that cartilage and bone may be seen through thin skin following surgery. To minimize the likelihood of visible irregularities, more conservative surgical techniques are recommended.
Open & Closed Approaches
Although rhinoplasty can successfully improve the appearance of a twisted nose, it cannot completely correct this issue. Patients who are bothered by a twisted nose need to be aware of the limitations of this corrective procedure. Due to the stubborn nature of cartilage, it cannot be completely straightened because it naturally attempts to revert back to its original shape. However, minor changes can significantly improve the appearance of a twisted nose.
Modified nasal anatomy
Patients seeking revision, or secondary rhinoplasty, should be aware that there are a number of physical limitations. As a secondary surgery, revision rhinoplasty is more complicated because the nose has already been altered and some of the nasal cartilage may be depleted. In some instances, this may necessitate the use of cartilage grafts. In addition, the tough scar tissue that is present from the primary procedure means that careful and precise manipulation is required to ensure that the results are seamless. As a result, while minor changes can be made, it is not realistic to expect a dramatic transformation.
During your initial consultation with Dr. Torgerson, he will examine your nose carefully and explain any of your potential limitations to ensure that you are a good candidate for the procedure. It is crucial that your surgeon is upfront and honest about what can be realistically expected so that you will be truly satisfied with your results.
The First Step Of Your Journey Begins With A Conversation
We'll Get Back to You Within 1 Business Day.
- What Will Your Rhinoplasty Cost Be? It Depends on These 3 Things
- Rhinoplasty Surgeons - Toronto’s Best Facial Cosmetic Investment
- Planning a Rhinoplasty? 3 Must-Know Factors That Affect Results
- History of Rhinoplasty
- Asian Rhinoplasty
- Nose-Reshaping Surgery in Toronto: Why Is It Still in Demand (and What Alternative is Catching Up?)
- What is the Cost of a Rhinoplasty?
- 10 Questions to Ask Before a Rhinoplasty
- Nose Reshaping Before & After Photos on Smartphones: Can You Trust?
- Dr. Torgerson’s Rhinoplasty and Injectable Nose Job: A Side-by-Side Comparison
- Toronto’s Nose-Reshaping Secrets: Why It’s Getting Harder to Tell Who’s Had Nose Jobs
- Toronto Rhinoplasty - Surgeon’s Tips for Best Results
- Nose Reshaping Toronto: The Cosmetic Surgery That Fits Everyone
- Before a Toronto Nose-Reshaping Surgery Consultation, Read This (and Save Time)
- What is a Rhinoplasty?
- Toronto Nose-Reshaping Surgery: What Can It Do for You?
- Toronto Nose Reshaping Success: How to Overcome 5 Obstacles
- The Top Toronto Rhinoplasty Surgeon Guide for 2020
- Rhinoplasty, Social Media, and DIY — Where Are We Headed?
- Rhinoplasty Surgeons in Toronto Share the Best Tips to Get You Ready for a Nose Job
- Are You Curious About Rhinoplasty Recovery? These Tips Can Help It Go Smoothly
- 4 Steps You Can Take to Enhance Your Nose (3 Are Non-Surgical)
- Alar Base Reduction Rhinoplasty
- African-American Rhinoplasty
- Rhinoplasty Cost In Toronto
- Do I Need A Rhinoplasty Or Non-Surgical Nose Job?
- How Old Do You Have To Be To Get A Nose Job?
- Why Is Rhinoplasty One Of The Hardest Procedures?
- What You Should Know About Revision Rhinoplasty
- What To Expect On The Day of Rhinoplasty Surgery
- When to Consider Nose Surgery: Pros & Cons
- What is Involved in Rhinoplasty Surgery?
- What Is The Healing Process After Nose Surgery?
- Using Implants in Rhinoplasty
- Toronto Surgeons Recommend Mentally Preparing for Best Rhinoplasty Results
- Toronto Rhinoplasty - What’s The Best Time To Meet With a Surgeon?
- Things to Consider Before a Rhinoplasty
- Surgical Facial Masculinization Procedures For Men
- Septoplasty Functional Rhinoplasty : Toronto
- Septoplasty and Rhinoplasty: What Is The Difference?
- Saddle Nose Deformity
- Rhinoplasty Do’s and Don’ts
- Rhinoplasty Toronto – Reviews Might Not Tell You These 7 Essential Things
- Rhinoplasty Before and After
- Rhinoplasty Questions and Answers
- Recovery from Rhinoplasty – Day 1 to One Year
- Potential Side effects of Rhinoplasty
- Post-Rhinoplasty Healing Timeline
- Nose Surgery Overview
- Nose (Rhinoplasty) Surgery
- Nose Surgery Toronto
- Nose Surgery Cost
- Nose Surgery Before and After
- Nasal Implant FAQ
- Myths About Rhinoplasty
- Learn Why Nose Reshaping Without Surgery in Toronto Is So Tempting
- How to Choose a Rhinoplasty Surgeon
- How Often Can You Get Plastic Surgery?
- How Long Does Rhinoplasty Surgery Take?
- How Do I Prepare for a Nose Surgery Procedure?
- Five Interesting Facts About Rhinoplasty
- Finesse Rhinoplasty
- For Toronto Rhinoplasty Results You Love, It’s Best to Have Realistic Expectations for Your Surgeon
- Facial Cosmetic Surgery and the Broken Nose
- Everything You Need To Know About Non-Surgical Rhinoplasty (Nose Job)
- Ethnic Rhinoplasty
- 3 Tips for Selecting the Best Rhinoplasty Approach with Your Toronto Surgeon
State-Of-The-Art Surgical Facility
Our facility offers a luxurious, comfortable and private setting for consultations and surgery with a waiting room that is both spacious and inviting. Although we hope you don’t have to spend too much time waiting to see Dr. Torgerson, within a few minutes you will feel relaxed and at ease.
*Disclaimer: Similar and/or permanent results are not guaranteed based on the treatment/procedure and may vary from patient to patient, based on multiple factors, including genetics and lifestyle of each patient.*
Please note that the Medicine Act, 1991, Part II: Advertising Regulations restricts and regulates advertising by physicians in Ontario. Compliance with these regulations restricts advertising and promotional content. Accordingly, the content of this website is intended for educational and informational purposes only, as the internet is an electronic information system and you are viewing this page unsolicited.
*If you require any further information to learn how our office is fully compliant with Ontario's Personal Health Information Protection Act, please contact us to connect with our Health Information Custodian.