Potential Side effects of Rhinoplasty
With any type of surgery there are risks involved
It is essential that anyone interested in undergoing rhinoplasty surgery investigate what these risks are. A comprehensive knowledge of what to expect creates understanding and minimizes any feelings of vulnerability. Dr. Cory Torgerson ensures that his patients are aware of the healing process and encourages them to ask questions to alleviate any confusion.
In order to minimize the occurrence of any of these side effects, choosing an experienced, licensed professional
Reaction to Anaesthetic
It is necessary to be under general anaesthesia during a rhinoplasty. There is potential to have a reaction to that anaesthetic. This is rare and can be managed by medical professionals. In order to minimize discomfort for you as the patient disclosing your past medical history and all current medications is very helpful for the surgeon and anaesthesiologist.
Because the cartilage, delicate bones and soft tissue of the nose have been dissected and altered during the rhinoplasty, it is normal to experience swelling and bruising. The initial pain is minimal and can be managed with pain medication. Excessive pain is a possibility, and may require additional medication to control.
Postoperative edema (swelling) is an expected result of rhinoplasty. Dr. Cory Torgerson applies tape with gentle pressure in order to press out any trapped fluid. Excessive swelling is possible if the collagen fibres in the scar tissue take longer to become organized after being disrupted by surgery.
Osteotomis (black eyes) are normal for the first week or two, but may take longer to dissipate if the patient is older or has been on medication that thins the blood.
Dr. Torgerson prefers to use the closed method Rhinoplasty as it leaves no scars
Normal Side Effects Of Rhinoplasty
Antibiotics are prescribed post operatively to fight against infection. If an implant was used to modify the shape of the nose, there is a possibility of the body rejecting it as a foreign substance. All implants are carefully regulated to ensure their safety and it is very rare that an implant must be removed due to infection.
A small amount of nasal bleeding can also occur during the first few days. If the small blood vessels burst while trying to heal, it can result in nosebleeds. Hematoma (blood that collects under the skin), is also a potential side effect, but is extremely rare.
Numbness in the upper lip is considered to be a normal side effect of rhinoplasty but nerve damage is a possibility if the nerves fail to relocate and heal properly.
Dr. Torgerson prefers to use the closed method when performing this facial cosmetic surgery as it is achieved under the nose and leaves virtually no scars. The open method is performed by making an incision at the base of the nose with the potential of scarring.
Finally, if an inexperienced facial plastic surgeon is chosen to perform the rhinoplasty, there is the potential of over or under correction which may lead to the necessity of a revision rhinoplasty.
In order to minimize the occurrence of any of these side effects, choosing an experienced, licensed professional is of paramount importance. Dr. Cory Torgerson is considered one of the top rhinoplasty surgeons in Canada and has also acquired wide acclaim for his expertise performing rhinoplasty and revision rhinoplasty surgeries.
The First Step Of Your Journey Begins With A Conversation
We'll Get Back to You Within 1 Business Day.
- What Will Your Rhinoplasty Cost Be? It Depends on These 3 Things
- Rhinoplasty Surgeons - Toronto’s Best Facial Cosmetic Investment
- Planning a Rhinoplasty? 3 Must-Know Factors That Affect Results
- History of Rhinoplasty
- Asian Rhinoplasty
- Nose-Reshaping Surgery in Toronto: Why Is It Still in Demand (and What Alternative is Catching Up?)
- What is the Cost of a Rhinoplasty?
- 10 Questions to Ask Before a Rhinoplasty
- Nose Reshaping Before & After Photos on Smartphones: Can You Trust?
- Dr. Torgerson’s Rhinoplasty and Injectable Nose Job: A Side-by-Side Comparison
- Toronto’s Nose-Reshaping Secrets: Why It’s Getting Harder to Tell Who’s Had Nose Jobs
- Toronto Rhinoplasty - Surgeon’s Tips for Best Results
- Nose Reshaping Toronto: The Cosmetic Surgery That Fits Everyone
- Before a Toronto Nose-Reshaping Surgery Consultation, Read This (and Save Time)
- What is a Rhinoplasty?
- Toronto Nose-Reshaping Surgery: What Can It Do for You?
- Toronto Nose Reshaping Success: How to Overcome 5 Obstacles
- The Top Toronto Rhinoplasty Surgeon Guide for 2020
- Rhinoplasty, Social Media, and DIY — Where Are We Headed?
- Rhinoplasty Surgeons in Toronto Share the Best Tips to Get You Ready for a Nose Job
- Are You Curious About Rhinoplasty Recovery? These Tips Can Help It Go Smoothly
- 4 Steps You Can Take to Enhance Your Nose (3 Are Non-Surgical)
- Alar Base Reduction Rhinoplasty
- African-American Rhinoplasty
- Rhinoplasty Cost In Toronto
- Do I Need A Rhinoplasty Or Non-Surgical Nose Job?
- How Old Do You Have To Be To Get A Nose Job?
- Why Is Rhinoplasty One Of The Hardest Procedures?
- What You Should Know About Revision Rhinoplasty
- What To Expect On The Day of Rhinoplasty Surgery
- When to Consider Nose Surgery: Pros & Cons
- What is Involved in Rhinoplasty Surgery?
- What Is The Healing Process After Nose Surgery?
- Using Implants in Rhinoplasty
- Toronto Surgeons Recommend Mentally Preparing for Best Rhinoplasty Results
- Toronto Rhinoplasty - What’s The Best Time To Meet With a Surgeon?
- Things to Consider Before a Rhinoplasty
- Surgical Facial Masculinization Procedures For Men
- Septoplasty Functional Rhinoplasty : Toronto
- Septoplasty and Rhinoplasty: What Is The Difference?
- Saddle Nose Deformity
- Rhinoplasty Do’s and Don’ts
- Rhinoplasty Toronto – Reviews Might Not Tell You These 7 Essential Things
- Rhinoplasty Before and After
- Rhinoplasty Questions and Answers
- Recovery from Rhinoplasty – Day 1 to One Year
- Potential Side effects of Rhinoplasty
- Post-Rhinoplasty Healing Timeline
- Nose Surgery Overview
- Nose (Rhinoplasty) Surgery
- Nose Surgery Toronto
- Nose Surgery Cost
- Nose Surgery Before and After
- Nasal Implant FAQ
- Myths About Rhinoplasty
- Learn Why Nose Reshaping Without Surgery in Toronto Is So Tempting
- How to Choose a Rhinoplasty Surgeon
- How Often Can You Get Plastic Surgery?
- How Long Does Rhinoplasty Surgery Take?
- How Do I Prepare for a Nose Surgery Procedure?
- Five Interesting Facts About Rhinoplasty
- Finesse Rhinoplasty
- For Toronto Rhinoplasty Results You Love, It’s Best to Have Realistic Expectations for Your Surgeon
- Facial Cosmetic Surgery and the Broken Nose
- Everything You Need To Know About Non-Surgical Rhinoplasty (Nose Job)
- Ethnic Rhinoplasty
- 3 Tips for Selecting the Best Rhinoplasty Approach with Your Toronto Surgeon
State-Of-The-Art Surgical Facility
Our facility offers a luxurious, comfortable and private setting for consultations and surgery with a waiting room that is both spacious and inviting. Although we hope you don’t have to spend too much time waiting to see Dr. Torgerson, within a few minutes you will feel relaxed and at ease.
*Disclaimer: Similar and/or permanent results are not guaranteed based on the treatment/procedure and may vary from patient to patient, based on multiple factors, including genetics and lifestyle of each patient.*
Please note that the Medicine Act, 1991, Part II: Advertising Regulations restricts and regulates advertising by physicians in Ontario. Compliance with these regulations restricts advertising and promotional content. Accordingly, the content of this website is intended for educational and informational purposes only, as the internet is an electronic information system and you are viewing this page unsolicited.
*If you require any further information to learn how our office is fully compliant with Ontario's Personal Health Information Protection Act, please contact us to connect with our Health Information Custodian.