Potential Side effects of Rhinoplasty
With any type of surgery there are risks involved
It is essential that anyone interested in undergoing rhinoplasty surgery investigate what these risks are. A comprehensive knowledge of what to expect creates understanding and minimizes any feelings of vulnerability. Dr. Cory Torgerson ensures that his patients are aware of the healing process and encourages them to ask questions to alleviate any confusion.
In order to minimize the occurrence of any of these side effects, choosing an experienced, licensed professional
Reaction to Anaesthetic
It is necessary to be under general anaesthesia during a rhinoplasty. There is potential to have a reaction to that anaesthetic. This is rare and can be managed by medical professionals. In order to minimize discomfort for you as the patient disclosing your past medical history and all current medications is very helpful for the surgeon and anaesthesiologist.
Because the cartilage, delicate bones and soft tissue of the nose have been dissected and altered during the rhinoplasty, it is normal to experience swelling and bruising. The initial pain is minimal and can be managed with pain medication. Excessive pain is a possibility, and may require additional medication to control.
Postoperative edema (swelling) is an expected result of rhinoplasty. Dr. Cory Torgerson applies tape with gentle pressure in order to press out any trapped fluid. Excessive swelling is possible if the collagen fibres in the scar tissue take longer to become organized after being disrupted by surgery.
Osteotomis (black eyes) are normal for the first week or two, but may take longer to dissipate if the patient is older or has been on medication that thins the blood.
Dr. Torgerson prefers to use the closed method Rhinoplasty as it leaves no scars
Normal Side Effects Of Rhinoplasty
Antibiotics are prescribed post operatively to fight against infection. If an implant was used to modify the shape of the nose, there is a possibility of the body rejecting it as a foreign substance. All implants are carefully regulated to ensure their safety and it is very rare that an implant must be removed due to infection.
A small amount of nasal bleeding can also occur during the first few days. If the small blood vessels burst while trying to heal, it can result in nosebleeds. Hematoma (blood that collects under the skin), is also a potential side effect, but is extremely rare.
Numbness in the upper lip is considered to be a normal side effect of rhinoplasty but nerve damage is a possibility if the nerves fail to relocate and heal properly.
Dr. Torgerson prefers to use the closed method when performing this facial cosmetic surgery as it is achieved under the nose and leaves virtually no scars. The open method is performed by making an incision at the base of the nose with the potential of scarring.
Finally, if an inexperienced facial plastic surgeon is chosen to perform the rhinoplasty, there is the potential of over or under correction which may lead to the necessity of a revision rhinoplasty.
In order to minimize the occurrence of any of these side effects, choosing an experienced, licensed professional is of paramount importance. Dr. Cory Torgerson is considered one of the top rhinoplasty surgeons in Canada and has also acquired wide acclaim for his expertise performing rhinoplasty and revision rhinoplasty surgeries.
The First Step Of Your Journey Begins With A Conversation
We'll Get Back to You Within 1 Business Day.
- Rhinoplasty Toronto – Reviews Might Not Tell You These 7 Essential Things
- Rhinoplasty Surgeons in Toronto Share the Best Tips to Get You Ready for a Nose Job
- Are You Curious About Rhinoplasty Recovery? These Tips Can Help It Go Smoothly
- Rhinoplasty, Social Media, and DIY — Where Are We Headed?
- Planning a Rhinoplasty? 3 Must-Know Factors That Affect Results
- 3 Tips for Selecting the Best Rhinoplasty Approach with Your Toronto Surgeon
- Toronto Rhinoplasty - What’s The Best Time To Meet With a Surgeon?
- Toronto Surgeons Recommend Mentally Preparing for Best Rhinoplasty Results
- For Toronto Rhinoplasty Results You Love, It’s Best to Have Realistic Expectations for Your Surgeon
- Toronto Rhinoplasty - Surgeon’s Tips for Best Results
- Everything You Need To Know About Non-Surgical Rhinoplasty (Nose Job)
- What is the Cost of a Rhinoplasty?
- Nose Surgery Cost
- Cost Of Rhinoplasty In Toronto
- Nasal Implant FAQ
- Septoplasty and Rhinoplasty: What Is The Difference?
- African-American Rhinoplasty
- What is Involved in Rhinoplasty Surgery?
- Rhinoplasty Do’s and Don’ts
- How to Choose a Rhinoplasty Surgeon
- What is a Rhinoplasty?
- What You Should Know About Revision Rhinoplasty
- When to Consider Nose Surgery: Pros & Cons
- Asian Rhinoplasty
- Nose (Rhinoplasty) Surgery
- Rhinoplasty Before and After
- Five Interesting Facts About Rhinoplasty
- How Do I Prepare for a Nose Surgery Procedure?
- How Often Can You Get Plastic Surgery?
- Things to Consider Before a Rhinoplasty
- Potential Side effects of Rhinoplasty
- Surgical Facial Masculinization Procedures For Men
- Facial Cosmetic Surgery and the Broken Nose
- Post-Rhinoplasty Healing Timeline
- History of Rhinoplasty
- Ethnic Rhinoplasty
- Recovery from Rhinoplasty – Day 1 to One Year
- 10 Questions to Ask Before a Rhinoplasty
- Saddle Nose Deformity
- Nose Surgery Before and After
- What Is The Healing Process After Nose Surgery?
- Rhinoplasty Questions and Answers
- Why Is Rhinoplasty One Of The Hardest Procedures?
- Alar Base Reduction Rhinoplasty
- Finesse Rhinoplasty
- Septoplasty Functional Rhinoplasty : Toronto
- How Old Do You Have To Be To Get A Nose Job?
- Myths About Rhinoplasty
- Using Implants in Rhinoplasty
- Do I Need A Rhinoplasty Or Non-Surgical Nose Job?
- Nose Surgery Toronto
- How Long Does Rhinoplasty Surgery Take?
- What To Expect On The Day of Rhinoplasty Surgery
- Nose Surgery Overview
State-Of-The-Art Surgical Facility
Our facility offers a luxurious, comfortable and private setting for consultations and surgery with a waiting room that is both spacious and inviting. Although we hope you don’t have to spend too much time waiting to see Dr. Torgerson, within a few minutes you will feel relaxed and at ease.
*Disclaimer: Similar and/or permanent results are not guaranteed based on the treatment/procedure and may vary from patient to patient, based on multiple factors, including genetics and lifestyle of each patient.*
Please note that the Medicine Act, 1991, Part II: Advertising Regulations restricts and regulates advertising by physicians in Ontario. Compliance with these regulations restricts advertising and promotional content. Accordingly, the content of this website is intended for educational and informational purposes only, as the internet is an electronic information system and you are viewing this page unsolicited.
*If you require any further information to learn how our office is fully compliant with Ontario's Personal Health Information Protection Act, please contact us to connect with our Health Information Custodian.