Sometimes the desire for rhinoplasty goes beyond simply wanting a nose that looks nicer
There are times when structural deformities of the nose interfere with normal breathing. These deformities may be the result of a birth defect or they may be because of some past injury. Whatever the reason, the solution is often a surgical procedure called septoplasty functional rhinoplasty.
One of the main reasons for having this type of procedure is that the patient may have a deviation in the nasal septum, which leads to nasal obstruction and difficulty breathing normally. The nasal septum is a thin wall of hyaline cartilage and bone, which divides the nostrils. When the nasal septum is crooked or is not centred, it not only obstructs the passage of air, but also prevents proper nasal drainage, which leads to more bacteria inside the patient’s nose. This can result in frequent suffering from sinus infections.
HOW IS THE SURGERY PERFORMED?
There are many other problems that can be associated with deviation in the nasal septum, including:
– Daytime sleepiness because of improper flow of oxygen
– Lack of sleep because of low oxygen levels
The good news is that septoplasty functional rhinoplasty can correct the deformity and help resolve all of these issues.
WHAT IS SEPTOPLASTY FUNCTIONAL RHINOPLASTY?
Functional SeptoRhinoplasty corrects the blockages in airway passages of the nose. It involves both treatments of internal and external airway blockages and possibly the correction of an aesthetic concern.
Benefits of SEPTOPLASTY
PROCEDURES PERFORMED ON INTERNAL NASAL PASSAGES INCLUDE:
– Nasal Septoplasty: a procedure that is done to correct the deviated septum of the nose. This procedure can help people breathe more comfortably.
– Turbinate Reduction: a procedure to reduce an internal filtering part of the nose called the turbinate. This can help improve airflow.
– The patient should allow for 10 weeks of healing time before re-piercing is done.
– Do not smoke for at least a few weeks following the procedure, as it can delay healing.
– Polyp removal: Removal of polyps that may be obstructing the airway. This treatment is simple, but there are chances of recurrence. Dr. Torgerson can recommend necessary treatments and medications that can help in controlling the recurrence.
The First Step Of Your Journey Begins With A Conversation
We'll Get Back to You Within 1 Business Day.
PROCEDURES PERFORMED ON EXTERNAL NASAL PASSAGES
Nasal Valve Collapse Correction: A collapsed nasal valve may be an external cause of nasal airway blockage. This may happen if the natural shape of the nose is altered due to injury. Functional rhinoplasty helps with the correction of shape that supports a healthy airway passage.
HOW IS THE SURGERY PERFORMED?
There is more than one way to do this procedure. It can be performed as a closed approach or as an open approach. In the closed approach, there are no incisions made on the external skin, while in the open approach, incisions are made on the underside of the nose, which is known as the columella.
WHO SHOULD UNDERGO THIS SURGERY?
This procedure can help individuals who have one or more of the following conditions:
– Deviated septum causing obstructed breathing
– Deformity in nasal valves
– Collapsed nasal valves
– Weak lower lateral cartilage
– Outer wall of nose collapsed
– Enlarged nasal turbinate
– Crooked nasal bones
A visit with Dr. Torgerson can confirm if you are a good candidate for a septoplasty or a Septorhinoplasty.
WHAT TO EXPECT AFTER THE SURGERY
Like any other facial surgery, some swelling and bruising is to be expected in the days and weeks following the procedure. Most patients, however, find this a small price to pay for the dramatic and immediate improvement they have in breathing. If you think you might benefit from septoplasty functional rhinoplasty, call Dr. Torgerson today for a consultation and learn how he can help you.
- Before a Toronto Nose-Reshaping Surgery Consultation, Read This (and Save Time)
- Toronto’s Nose-Reshaping Secrets: Why It’s Getting Harder to Tell Who’s Had Nose Jobs
- Rhinoplasty Surgeons - Toronto’s Best Facial Cosmetic Investment
- The Top Toronto Rhinoplasty Surgeon Guide for 2020
- Why Is Rhinoplasty One Of The Hardest Procedures?
- What Will Your Rhinoplasty Cost Be? It Depends on These 3 Things
- When to Consider Nose Surgery: Pros & Cons
- What To Expect On The Day of Rhinoplasty Surgery
- What You Should Know About Revision Rhinoplasty
- What Is The Healing Process After Nose Surgery?
- What is the Cost of a Rhinoplasty?
- What is Involved in Rhinoplasty Surgery?
- What is a Rhinoplasty?
- Using Implants in Rhinoplasty
- Toronto Rhinoplasty - Surgeon’s Tips for Best Results
- Toronto Surgeons Recommend Mentally Preparing for Best Rhinoplasty Results
- Toronto Rhinoplasty - What’s The Best Time To Meet With a Surgeon?
- Toronto Nose Reshaping Success: How to Overcome 5 Obstacles
- Toronto Nose-Reshaping Surgery: What Can It Do for You?
- Things to Consider Before a Rhinoplasty
- Surgical Facial Masculinization Procedures For Men
- Septoplasty Functional Rhinoplasty : Toronto
- Septoplasty and Rhinoplasty: What Is The Difference?
- Saddle Nose Deformity
- Rhinoplasty Do’s and Don’ts
- Rhinoplasty Surgeons in Toronto Share the Best Tips to Get You Ready for a Nose Job
- Rhinoplasty Toronto – Reviews Might Not Tell You These 7 Essential Things
- Rhinoplasty Before and After
- Rhinoplasty Questions and Answers
- Rhinoplasty, Social Media, and DIY — Where Are We Headed?
- Potential Side effects of Rhinoplasty
- Post-Rhinoplasty Healing Timeline
- Recovery from Rhinoplasty – Day 1 to One Year
- Nose Reshaping Before & After Photos on Smartphones: Can You Trust?
- Planning a Rhinoplasty? 3 Must-Know Factors That Affect Results
- Nose Reshaping Toronto: The Cosmetic Surgery That Fits Everyone
- Nose Surgery Before and After
- Nose Surgery Cost
- Nose Surgery Toronto
- Nose (Rhinoplasty) Surgery
- Nose Surgery Overview
- Nose-Reshaping Surgery in Toronto: Why Is It Still in Demand (and What Alternative is Catching Up?)
- Nasal Implant FAQ
- Myths About Rhinoplasty
- Learn Why Nose Reshaping Without Surgery in Toronto Is So Tempting
- How to Choose a Rhinoplasty Surgeon
- How Often Can You Get Plastic Surgery?
- How Old Do You Have To Be To Get A Nose Job?
- How Do I Prepare for a Nose Surgery Procedure?
- How Long Does Rhinoplasty Surgery Take?
- History of Rhinoplasty
- For Toronto Rhinoplasty Results You Love, It’s Best to Have Realistic Expectations for Your Surgeon
- Five Interesting Facts About Rhinoplasty
- Finesse Rhinoplasty
- Facial Cosmetic Surgery and the Broken Nose
- Everything You Need To Know About Non-Surgical Rhinoplasty (Nose Job)
- Ethnic Rhinoplasty
- Dr. Torgerson’s Rhinoplasty and Injectable Nose Job: A Side-by-Side Comparison
- Do I Need A Rhinoplasty Or Non-Surgical Nose Job?
- Cost Of Rhinoplasty In Toronto
- Asian Rhinoplasty
- African-American Rhinoplasty
- Alar Base Reduction Rhinoplasty
- Are You Curious About Rhinoplasty Recovery? These Tips Can Help It Go Smoothly
- 3 Tips for Selecting the Best Rhinoplasty Approach with Your Toronto Surgeon
- 4 Steps You Can Take to Enhance Your Nose (3 Are Non-Surgical)
- 10 Questions to Ask Before a Rhinoplasty
State-Of-The-Art Surgical Facility
Our facility offers a luxurious, comfortable and private setting for consultations and surgery with a waiting room that is both spacious and inviting. Although we hope you don’t have to spend too much time waiting to see Dr. Torgerson, within a few minutes you will feel relaxed and at ease.
*Disclaimer: Similar and/or permanent results are not guaranteed based on the treatment/procedure and may vary from patient to patient, based on multiple factors, including genetics and lifestyle of each patient.*
Please note that the Medicine Act, 1991, Part II: Advertising Regulations restricts and regulates advertising by physicians in Ontario. Compliance with these regulations restricts advertising and promotional content. Accordingly, the content of this website is intended for educational and informational purposes only, as the internet is an electronic information system and you are viewing this page unsolicited.
*If you require any further information to learn how our office is fully compliant with Ontario's Personal Health Information Protection Act, please contact us to connect with our Health Information Custodian.