What is Involved in Rhinoplasty Surgery?
If you are considering a nose job, you might be wondering what is involved in a rhinoplasty surgery
Let’s take a look at the procedure from start to finish.There are four main steps in the procedure which are:
- Consultation and decision
The process begins with a consultation
Consultation and Decision
Perhaps you have been unhappy with the appearance of your nose for some time. Perhaps you even have a medical issue such a deviated septum which has prompted you to consider rhinoplasty. Whatever your reasoning is, the process begins with a consultation.
Contact a well-qualified facial cosmetic surgeon such as Dr. Cory Torgerson to schedule your appointment. During your consultation, your face will be examined by the surgeon. You will be asked a series of questions about your medical history as well as your personal goals for having rhinoplasty. Once it is determined that you are a good candidate for the procedure, you will be shown some before and after photos from previous patients and a computer generated image will be produced in order to show you what you can expect in your own appearance should you decide to go ahead with rhinoplasty surgery.
Once you have decided to undergo the procedure, the surgery will be scheduled and you will be given very specific instructions on what you need to do to prepare for the procedure.
Rhinoplasty is generally considered a safe procedure however, there are still things that the patient must do in order to minimize the risks
Preparing for surgery
If you are a smoker, you will be instructed to quit smoking at least two weeks prior to the surgery. You will also have to provide your surgeon with a list of any medications that you may be taking. Some of these such as NSAIDs and blood thinners, you will be instructed to stop for a period of time before the surgery – others may be ok to continue taking.
You will also want to arrange ahead of time to have someone who can drive you to and from the clinic on the day of your surgery. And don’t forget to stock up on things that you will need during your recovery – fill prescriptions from your surgeon ahead of time, and make sure you have lots of liquids and soft foods in your home as you’re likely not going to feel like grocery shopping for a few days once you’ve had your nose job.
The First Step Of Your Journey Begins With A Conversation
We'll Get Back to You Within 1 Business Day.
The rhinoplasty surgery will generally take 1 to 2 hours from start to finish, but in some cases it can take as long as 4 hours
The surgeon will make incisions inside and possibly on the outside of the nose, then remove or reshape cartilage or even add some depending on what you have opted to have done. Then a cast will be placed on your nose for the next 7 days to keep it in place while it heals.
The next 7 to 10 days you may have some minor discomfort with swelling and bruising. Pay attention to the recovery instructions given to you to make sure that your nose heals. During this time, it can be difficult to breathe through your nose, so you will want to take in a lot of liquids to keep your mouth and throat hydrated. Also, some swelling is to be expected, so it is recommended that you sleep sitting up in a recliner in order to minimize this. Usually within 2 to 3 weeks the swelling and discoloration will be gone and you can return to normal activities.
It is only natural that some people feel anxious about undergoing a rhinoplasty procedure, but knowing ahead of time what to expect can make the process easier. If you have any further questions or concerns about this type of surgery, we encourage you to call our offices and speak to a member of our medical staff.
- What Will Your Rhinoplasty Cost Be? It Depends on These 3 Things
- Rhinoplasty Toronto – Reviews Might Not Tell You These 7 Essential Things
- Rhinoplasty Surgeons in Toronto Share the Best Tips to Get You Ready for a Nose Job
- Are You Curious About Rhinoplasty Recovery? These Tips Can Help It Go Smoothly
- Rhinoplasty, Social Media, and DIY — Where Are We Headed?
- Planning a Rhinoplasty? 3 Must-Know Factors That Affect Results
- 3 Tips for Selecting the Best Rhinoplasty Approach with Your Toronto Surgeon
- Toronto Rhinoplasty - What’s The Best Time To Meet With a Surgeon?
- Toronto Surgeons Recommend Mentally Preparing for Best Rhinoplasty Results
- For Toronto Rhinoplasty Results You Love, It’s Best to Have Realistic Expectations for Your Surgeon
- Toronto Rhinoplasty - Surgeon’s Tips for Best Results
- Everything You Need To Know About Non-Surgical Rhinoplasty (Nose Job)
- What is the Cost of a Rhinoplasty?
- Nose Surgery Cost
- Cost Of Rhinoplasty In Toronto
- Nasal Implant FAQ
- Septoplasty and Rhinoplasty: What Is The Difference?
- African-American Rhinoplasty
- What is Involved in Rhinoplasty Surgery?
- Rhinoplasty Do’s and Don’ts
- How to Choose a Rhinoplasty Surgeon
- What is a Rhinoplasty?
- What You Should Know About Revision Rhinoplasty
- When to Consider Nose Surgery: Pros & Cons
- Asian Rhinoplasty
- Nose (Rhinoplasty) Surgery
- Rhinoplasty Before and After
- Five Interesting Facts About Rhinoplasty
- How Do I Prepare for a Nose Surgery Procedure?
- How Often Can You Get Plastic Surgery?
- Things to Consider Before a Rhinoplasty
- Potential Side effects of Rhinoplasty
- Surgical Facial Masculinization Procedures For Men
- Facial Cosmetic Surgery and the Broken Nose
- Post-Rhinoplasty Healing Timeline
- History of Rhinoplasty
- Ethnic Rhinoplasty
- Recovery from Rhinoplasty – Day 1 to One Year
- 10 Questions to Ask Before a Rhinoplasty
- Saddle Nose Deformity
- Nose Surgery Before and After
- What Is The Healing Process After Nose Surgery?
- Rhinoplasty Questions and Answers
- Why Is Rhinoplasty One Of The Hardest Procedures?
- Alar Base Reduction Rhinoplasty
- Finesse Rhinoplasty
- Septoplasty Functional Rhinoplasty : Toronto
- How Old Do You Have To Be To Get A Nose Job?
- Myths About Rhinoplasty
- Using Implants in Rhinoplasty
- Do I Need A Rhinoplasty Or Non-Surgical Nose Job?
- Nose Surgery Toronto
- How Long Does Rhinoplasty Surgery Take?
- What To Expect On The Day of Rhinoplasty Surgery
- Nose Surgery Overview
State-Of-The-Art Surgical Facility
Our facility offers a luxurious, comfortable and private setting for consultations and surgery with a waiting room that is both spacious and inviting. Although we hope you don’t have to spend too much time waiting to see Dr. Torgerson, within a few minutes you will feel relaxed and at ease.
*Disclaimer: Similar and/or permanent results are not guaranteed based on the treatment/procedure and may vary from patient to patient, based on multiple factors, including genetics and lifestyle of each patient.*
Please note that the Medicine Act, 1991, Part II: Advertising Regulations restricts and regulates advertising by physicians in Ontario. Compliance with these regulations restricts advertising and promotional content. Accordingly, the content of this website is intended for educational and informational purposes only, as the internet is an electronic information system and you are viewing this page unsolicited.
*If you require any further information to learn how our office is fully compliant with Ontario's Personal Health Information Protection Act, please contact us to connect with our Health Information Custodian.