What To Expect After Plastic Surgery
The decision to have cosmetic surgery can greatly improve the quality of life for patients, as it can help them both look and feel better about themselves.
Still, it is important to know ahead of time what to expect – not only in terms of healing, but also what you may expect in terms of your appearance and your emotional health following the procedure. Dr. Torgerson’s office in Toronto will always give each surgical patient a comprehensive surgical package that outlines exactly what to expect post-operatively. Dr. Torgerson also releases his personal contact information to each patient and their family so that they can contact him at any time of day or night following surgery if any questions or concerns arise. Although every patient is unique and each plastic surgery procedure has its own protocols, the following is a general guideline of what is commonly experienced after surgery.
Non-surgical Option May Be More Cost-Effective In The Long Run
Getting To Know The New You
Even though you will be given a good idea as to what kind of results to expect from the plastic surgery, there can be a big difference between seeing a modified picture of yourself and seeing yourself after your features have been altered. This is why the VECTRA 3D imaging helps to establish the expectations beforehand. Dr. Torgerson and his staff also remind patients that recovery is more akin to a marathon and not a sprint to the finish line. The healing process takes many months, and patience is a must.
For some people, the results can take some time getting used to, especially when they involve altering the features of your face, such as in the case of rhinoplasty or facelift. It might take some time to feel comfortable in your new skin. Don’t feel bad if you experience these feelings – they are perfectly normal. It is also possible for patients to feel as though they are in a depression after undergoing general anaesthesia for any type of surgery. This is a general anaesthesia phenomenon around the world; however, it can be easily helped. It is important that if you feel you are beginning to struggle through low moods, that you speak to Dr. Torgerson immediately.
Recovery and Healing
- Recovery Time and Rest: Any surgical procedure will require some time for rest and recovery. Depending on the procedure being done, this may vary from a few days to several weeks. During this time, it is important that patients avoid strenuous activity and follow any instructions given to them by Dr. Torgerson.
- Bruising: Bruising will likely occur at the incision site and surrounding areas. Bruises usually disappear within a week or so. Dr. Torgerson’s office highly recommends that patients stop the use of any blood thinning medications or herbal supplements for 2 weeks prior to surgery as these will certainly cause more bruising during the healing phase.
- Swelling or Inflammation: This is a normal part of recovery for most surgical procedures and typically goes away after a week or two. Swelling can be controlled in part by sleeping in an upright position (in a chair or with extra pillows) for the first few days after the surgery.
- Mild Pain: All the procedures are performed under anaesthesia, once the effect of the anaesthesia wears out it is very common to experience mild pain or discomfort. Dr. Torgerson will recommend a pain killer and give you a prescription to fill at the local pharmacy which will help you during your recovery.
- Burning and Itching: Procedures which involve laser treatment or stitches might leave a temporary burning or itching sensation after the procedure is performed. This is normal and it is very important to be gentle and cautious around any treatment sites.
- Constipation: Some patients may experience constipation caused by antibiotics which may be prescribed to aid with recovery. This is a not uncommon side effect and if this happens, Dr. Torgerson will recommend a stool softener.
The First Step Of Your Journey Begins With A Conversation
We'll Get Back to You Within 1 Business Day.
- Male Plastic Surgery Toronto
- Why You Should See Your Plastic Surgeon When the Weather in Toronto Gets Colder
- What Is The Shelf Life Of Your Cosmetic Surgery Procedure?
- Top Five Reasons for Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
- How Can You Properly Take Care of Your Skin After Your Cosmetic Surgery Procedure?
- Plastic Surgeon vs. Cosmetic Surgeon in Toronto : Four Myths
- Facial Cosmetic Surgery in Toronto Can Have Barely Any Scars
- Strategies to Avoid Regret and Choose the Best Plastic Surgeon in Toronto for You
- How Can You Tell if Your Facial Surgeon is Qualified?
- Your Role in Maintaining Facial Cosmetic Surgery Results
- What Are Some of the Most Popular Plastic Surgery Procedures by Age?
- Top 3 Reasons To Get Plastic Surgery During The Holidays
- Tips to Know Before Recovering from Your Facial Plastic Surgery
- Things to Consider Before Choosing Your Plastic Surgeon
- The 5-Part Process Everybody Ought to Know When Working With a Facial Plastic Surgeon
- Men and Plastic Surgery
- How Does a Facial Plastic Surgeon Avoid Leaving Scars?
- Facial Cosmetic Surgery is More Popular Than Ever!
- Does Your Cosmetic Surgery Call for A Do-Over?
- Too old for Plastic Surgery?
- Popular Male Plastic Surgery Procedures
- Factors You Haven’t Considered Before Choosing Your Plastic Surgeon
- Don’t Get Scammed – What to Look for When Choosing a Facial Plastic Surgeon
- Talking To Your Plastic Surgeon In Toronto: 7 Most Important Questions
- 5 Helpful Ways to Know If You’re a Great Candidate for Toronto Facial Cosmetic Surgery
- Toronto Facial Cosmetic Surgery – How Can Surgeons Make You Look Younger?
- Your Toronto Plastic Surgeon Will Ask You These 5 Questions
- When Is The Best Time For Men To See A Plastic Surgeon In Toronto?
- What Season is the Best for Facial Surgery
- What Should Happen at a Consultation with a Plastic Surgeon?
- What To Expect After Plastic Surgery
- What Is Gore-Tex?
- Toronto Facial Cosmetic Surgery for Men Is More Common Than You Think
- Toronto Plastic Surgeons Use These Two Techniques to Wake Up Tired Eyes
- Toronto Cosmetic Surgeons Reveal Insider Advice You Need
- These Are the Top Consultation Questions to Ask Your Toronto Plastic Surgeon
- The Perfect Face
- The Top 5 Reasons For Cosmetic Plastic Surgery
- The Best Plastic Surgeons in Toronto Know These Industry Beauty Secrets to Transform You
- The History of Modern Plastic Surgery
- Selecting a Cosmetic Surgeon in Toronto Starts with These 3 Important Things
- Revenge Plastic Surgery
- Plastic Surgery Tourism
- Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
- Preparing for Plastic Surgery: General Guidelines
- Plastic Surgeon vs. Cosmetic Surgeon | What’s the Difference?
- Mommy Makeover Craze
- Most Popular Plastic Surgery Procedures
- Learn 2 Ways The Best Plastic Surgeons in Toronto Prevent an “Overdone” Look
- How Will You Know You’re Ready to Meet With a Cosmetic Surgeon in Toronto?
- Find a Plastic Surgeon in Toronto- Here’s What to Look For
- Facial Cosmetic Surgery in Toronto Has Advanced in Surprising Ways
- Factors Predicting Satisfaction Among Patients Seeking Facial Cosmetic Surgery
- Facial Contouring Surgery – Find Out How Small Adjustments Can Transform Your Life
- Do Your Homework When Considering A Cosmetic Surgeon In Toronto
- Do Plastic Surgeons Turn Down Patients with Unrealistic Expectations?
- Choosing the Best Cosmetic Surgeon in Toronto
- Can You Wear Makeup After Cosmetic Surgery?
- Advice From a Toronto Plastic Surgeon | Will Plastic Surgery Make You Happier?
- Afraid of Plastic Surgery?
- Are Cosmetic Surgery and Plastic Surgery the Same?
- A Look Into Popular Cosmetic Procedures In Asia
- 5 Things To Consider When Choosing a Cosmetic Surgeon In Toronto
- 5 Essential Questions To Ask Your Cosmetic Surgeon In Toronto
- 3 Must-Have Toronto Facial Cosmetic Surgery Maintenance Tips
- 5 of The Most Popular Reasons To See A Cosmetic Surgeon in Toronto
State-Of-The-Art Surgical Facility
Our facility offers a luxurious, comfortable and private setting for consultations and surgery with a waiting room that is both spacious and inviting. Although we hope you don’t have to spend too much time waiting to see Dr. Torgerson, within a few minutes you will feel relaxed and at ease.
*Disclaimer: Similar and/or permanent results are not guaranteed based on the treatment/procedure and may vary from patient to patient, based on multiple factors, including genetics and lifestyle of each patient.*
Please note that the Medicine Act, 1991, Part II: Advertising Regulations restricts and regulates advertising by physicians in Ontario. Compliance with these regulations restricts advertising and promotional content. Accordingly, the content of this website is intended for educational and informational purposes only, as the internet is an electronic information system and you are viewing this page unsolicited.
*If you require any further information to learn how our office is fully compliant with Ontario's Personal Health Information Protection Act, please contact us to connect with our Health Information Custodian.