Do Plastic Surgeons Turn Down Patients with Unrealistic Expectations?
Surgeons are responsible for ensuring that they treat only patients who have realistic expectations
Although it will often come as unwelcome news, surgeons do reserve the right to decline service for patients who are not suitable surgical candidates. While the primary purpose of a consultation is for patients to ask questions and discuss their desired results, it is also an opportunity for the surgeon to ensure that their patient is a good match for the procedure. The following factors will be taken into account when meeting with Toronto Plastic Surgeon, Dr. Cory Torgerson.
The primary purpose of a consultation is for patients to ask questions and discuss their desired results
If a surgeon feels that the result a person expects to achieve is unrealistic, they will first attempt to fill in the knowledge gaps by clearly explaining the procedure and purpose, contrasted with what outcomes are not realistic and should not be expected. Patients who hope to drastically change their appearance or are seeking perfection are not suitable cosmetic surgery candidates. If the patient is not willing to realign their expectations with what their surgeon is offering, then it is best for the surgeon to decline treatment.
State of mind
During the consultation, the surgeon will also consider the patient’s reasons for the procedure. Patients who are in the midst of a life crisis or are considering surgery to please a partner are considered to be at a high risk for dissatisfaction post-op. Cosmetic surgery will never resolve underlying mental or emotional problems. Likewise, individuals who hope to replicate the appearance of a celebrity are carefully questioned and assessed by their plastic surgeon because those types of goals can certainly represent unrealistic expectations. Thus, surgeons who have their patient’s best interest in mind may turn down these people.
Your overall health plays an important role in the results
In some instances, a patient’s expectations for their plastic surgery procedure are unrealistic due to health risks. Your overall health plays an important role in the results achieved as well as the minimization of health risks. In some instances, surgeons may turn down patients who smoke, suffer from heart conditions, high blood pressure, or circulatory issues, or individuals who are taking blood-thinning medication. Obesity is known to increase morbidity rates in surgical patients and can slow or impair healing, so each individual’s health picture and BMI (body mass index) will factor in their suitability for surgery. If a surgeon feels that a patient’s health will negatively impact the outcome of the procedure, they will not in good conscience advise them to proceed.
Carefully selecting the right plastic surgeon in Toronto is a crucial part of planning for your procedure. Likewise, experienced, qualified, and certified surgeons will be honest and transparent when explaining all of the considerations and potential risks for each patient. They, just like you, are interested in the best possible outcomes. Patients who have been turned down by one or more plastic surgeon should be very wary of anyone who is willing to perform a procedure that other surgeons have labelled unrealistic, as such procedures run a high risk of being unsafe or creating disappointing results.
During your initial consultation, Dr. Cory Torgerson, one of Toronto’s best plastic surgeons, will listen to your goals for cosmetic surgery. To ensure that you are a good candidate for the procedure and that your desired results are attainable, Dr. Torgerson will explain any potential limitations.
The First Step Of Your Journey Begins With A Conversation
We'll Get Back to You Within 1 Business Day.
- 3 Must-Have Toronto Facial Cosmetic Surgery Maintenance Tips
- 5 Essential Questions To Ask Your Cosmetic Surgeon In Toronto
- 5 Helpful Ways to Know If You’re a Great Candidate for Toronto Facial Cosmetic Surgery
- 5 of The Most Popular Reasons To See A Cosmetic Surgeon in Toronto
- 5 Things To Consider When Choosing a Cosmetic Surgeon In Toronto
- A Look Into Popular Cosmetic Procedures In Asia
- Advice From a Toronto Plastic Surgeon | Will Plastic Surgery Make You Happier?
- Afraid of Plastic Surgery?
- Are Cosmetic Surgery and Plastic Surgery the Same?
- Can You Wear Makeup After Cosmetic Surgery?
- Choosing the Best Cosmetic Surgeon in Toronto
- Do Plastic Surgeons Turn Down Patients with Unrealistic Expectations?
- Do Your Homework When Considering A Cosmetic Surgeon In Toronto
- Does Your Cosmetic Surgery Call for A Do-Over?
- Don’t Get Scammed – What to Look for When Choosing a Facial Plastic Surgeon
- Facial Contouring Surgery – Find Out How Small Adjustments Can Transform Your Life
- Facial Cosmetic Surgery in Toronto Can Have Barely Any Scars
- Facial Cosmetic Surgery in Toronto Has Advanced in Surprising Ways
- Facial Cosmetic Surgery is More Popular Than Ever!
- Factors Predicting Satisfaction Among Patients Seeking Facial Cosmetic Surgery
- Factors You Haven’t Considered Before Choosing Your Plastic Surgeon
- Find a Plastic Surgeon in Toronto- Here’s What to Look For
- How Can You Properly Take Care of Your Skin After Your Cosmetic Surgery Procedure?
- How Can You Tell if Your Facial Surgeon is Qualified?
- How Does a Facial Plastic Surgeon Avoid Leaving Scars?
- How Will You Know You’re Ready to Meet With a Cosmetic Surgeon in Toronto?
- Learn 2 Ways The Best Plastic Surgeons in Toronto Prevent an “Overdone” Look
- Male Plastic Surgery Toronto
- Men and Plastic Surgery
- Mommy Makeover Craze
- Most Popular Plastic Surgery Procedures
- Plastic Surgeon vs. Cosmetic Surgeon | What’s the Difference?
- Plastic Surgeon vs. Cosmetic Surgeon in Toronto : Four Myths
- Plastic Surgery Tourism
- Popular Male Plastic Surgery Procedures
- Preparing for Plastic Surgery: General Guidelines
- Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
- Revenge Plastic Surgery
- Selecting a Cosmetic Surgeon in Toronto Starts with These 3 Important Things
- Strategies to Avoid Regret and Choose the Best Plastic Surgeon in Toronto for You
- Talking To Your Plastic Surgeon In Toronto: 7 Most Important Questions
- The 5-Part Process Everybody Ought to Know When Working With a Facial Plastic Surgeon
- The Best Plastic Surgeons in Toronto Know These Industry Beauty Secrets to Transform You
- The History of Modern Plastic Surgery
- The Perfect Face
- The Top 5 Reasons For Cosmetic Plastic Surgery
- These Are the Top Consultation Questions to Ask Your Toronto Plastic Surgeon
- Things to Consider Before Choosing Your Plastic Surgeon
- Tips to Know Before Recovering from Your Facial Plastic Surgery
- Too old for Plastic Surgery?
- Top 3 Reasons To Get Plastic Surgery During The Holidays
- Top Five Reasons for Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
- Toronto Cosmetic Surgeons Reveal Insider Advice You Need
- Toronto Facial Cosmetic Surgery – How Can Surgeons Make You Look Younger?
- Toronto Facial Cosmetic Surgery for Men Is More Common Than You Think
- Toronto Plastic Surgeons Use These Two Techniques to Wake Up Tired Eyes
- What Are Some of the Most Popular Plastic Surgery Procedures by Age?
- What Is Gore-Tex?
- What Is The Shelf Life Of Your Cosmetic Surgery Procedure?
- What Season is the Best for Facial Surgery
- What Should Happen at a Consultation with a Plastic Surgeon?
- What To Expect After Plastic Surgery
- When Is The Best Time For Men To See A Plastic Surgeon In Toronto?
- Why You Should See Your Plastic Surgeon When the Weather in Toronto Gets Colder
- Your Role in Maintaining Facial Cosmetic Surgery Results
- Your Toronto Plastic Surgeon Will Ask You These 5 Questions
State-Of-The-Art Surgical Facility
Our facility offers a luxurious, comfortable and private setting for consultations and surgery with a waiting room that is both spacious and inviting. Although we hope you don’t have to spend too much time waiting to see Dr. Torgerson, within a few minutes you will feel relaxed and at ease.