Rhinoplasty is facial plastic surgery to reshape the nose and is often referred to as a nose job
African American rhinoplasty patients may choose their nose job for numerous reasons. Restoration after a car accident or sports injury causing nasal trauma is common. Other reasons are purely cosmetic. Western society has historically held some specific beauty ideals that hold up certain facial features as more attractive than others. This sometimes leads people to alter their appearance in an effort to attain these ideals.
People of various ethnic backgrounds will naturally have differently shaped or proportioned noses. People with African–Caribbean heritage often have wider-set noses. African American rhinoplasty is the practice of revising nasal features while maintaining the individual’s ethnic aesthetic. The most common complaints of African American rhinoplasty patients are wide nostrils (called wide nasal alar), wide nasal tips, and wide nasal dorsum/nasal bridges.
The key to African-American rhinoplasty that appears natural and harmonious is understanding the structure of the nose and staying consistent with the rest of the person’s features. The enhanced nose should suit the patient’s facial features and not look artificial.
African American rhinoplasty patients have the same basic parameters for ideal facial balance as everyone. When the forehead, nose, and chin make up equal thirds of the face from the front view, results are harmonious.
WHEN ARE FEATURES CONSIDERED BALANCED?
Balance is also considered from the profile, highlighting the forehead, nose, and chin from the side view. Therefore, if someone’s chin is receded, they may consider a chin augmentation, or a patient may consider some type nose surgery so features are proportionate. Balance is achieved when facial features align nicely.
HOW IS AFRICAN AMERICAN RHINOPLASTY PERFORMED?
As with all rhinoplasty, small incisions are made inside the nostrils to access the cartilage and bones. This way, there’s no external, visible scarring. Occasionally, an incision is made on the skin between the nostrils. Cartilage may be added, subtracted, or merely reshaped to produce the contours and structure desired by the patient. Dr. Torgerson is able to alter the bridge of the nose where it connects to cheek bones, the nasal size, projection and tip.
Subtle adjustments to even one of these areas can make a big difference to the patient’s appearance. There will be some post-operation swelling and pain, but they dissipate quickly during the first week and over several months. The goal of any nose job is to make the patient feel like the best version of him or herself, so they can face life with confidence.
Many plastic surgeons practice what they call ethnic rhinoplasty, which categorizes all non-European nose surgeries together
SPECIAL CONSIDERATIONS FOR THE AFRICAN-AMERICAN NOSE
The problem with this, however, is the diversity of non-European tissue characteristics. Performing African American rhinoplasty requires the knowledge of African tissue features, such as thicker skin. Darkly pigmented skin can be more prone to scarring, and delicate cartilage plus shorter nasal bones need to be handled with care and precision. Performing nose jobs for African Americans requires careful consideration of specific ethnic physical characteristics.
Because of the variance and diversity of patients, facial plastic surgery plans are made to suit the individual. Many people are of mixed races, and everyone deserves an aesthetic that suits who they are as a unique person.
The key is to not look like you’ve had a nose job at all, so patients who want a natural look should avoid having extreme surgeries that completely alter their nose. Very small adjustments can make a very big difference, especially on such a prominent feature of the face.
- 10 Questions to Ask Before a Rhinoplasty
- 3 Tips for Selecting the Best Rhinoplasty Approach with Your Toronto Surgeon
- 4 Steps You Can Take to Enhance Your Nose (3 Are Non-Surgical)
- African-American Rhinoplasty
- Alar Base Reduction Rhinoplasty
- Are You Curious About Rhinoplasty Recovery? These Tips Can Help It Go Smoothly
- Asian Rhinoplasty
- Do I Need A Rhinoplasty Or Non-Surgical Nose Job?
- Dr. Torgerson’s Rhinoplasty and Injectable Nose Job: A Side-by-Side Comparison
- Ethnic Rhinoplasty
- Everything You Need To Know About Non-Surgical Rhinoplasty (Nose Job)
- Facial Cosmetic Surgery and the Broken Nose
- Finesse Rhinoplasty
- Five Interesting Facts About Rhinoplasty
- For Rhinoplasty Results You Love, It’s Best to Have Realistic Expectations for Your Surgeon
- History of Rhinoplasty
- How Do I Prepare for a Nose Surgery Procedure?
- How Long Does Rhinoplasty Surgery Take?
- How Often Can You Get Plastic Surgery?
- How Old Do You Have To Be To Get A Nose Job?
- How to Choose a Rhinoplasty Surgeon
- How To Prepare For Rhinoplasty Consultation
- Learn Why Nose Reshaping Without Surgery in Toronto Is So Tempting
- Myths About Rhinoplasty
- Nasal Implant FAQ
- Nose (Rhinoplasty) Surgery
- Nose Job Alternatives: What Can You Do Instead Of Rhinoplasty
- Nose Job Reviews and Rhinoplasty Reviews Might Not Tell You These 7 Essential Things
- Nose Reshaping Before & After Photos on Smartphones: Can You Trust?
- Nose Surgery Before and After
- Nose Surgery Cost
- Nose Surgery Overview
- Nose Surgery Toronto
- Planning a Rhinoplasty? 3 Must-Know Factors That Affect Results
- Post-Rhinoplasty Healing Timeline
- Recovery from Rhinoplasty – Day 1 to One Year
- Rhinoplasty - Surgeon’s Tips for Best Results
- Rhinoplasty - What’s The Best Time To Meet With a Surgeon?
- Rhinoplasty Before and After
- Rhinoplasty Cost In Toronto
- Rhinoplasty Do’s and Don’ts
- Rhinoplasty Questions and Answers
- Rhinoplasty Surgeons in Toronto Share the Best Tips to Get You Ready for a Nose Job
- Rhinoplasty, Social Media, and DIY — Where Are We Headed?
- Saddle Nose Deformity
- Septoplasty and Rhinoplasty: What Is The Difference?
- Septoplasty Functional Rhinoplasty : Toronto
- Surgical Facial Masculinization Procedures For Men
- Things to Consider Before a Rhinoplasty
- Toronto Surgeons Recommend Mentally Preparing for Best Rhinoplasty Results
- Using Implants in Rhinoplasty
- What is a Rhinoplasty?
- What is Involved in Rhinoplasty Surgery?
- What is the Cost of a Rhinoplasty?
- What Is The Healing Process After Nose Surgery?
- What To Expect On The Day of Rhinoplasty Surgery
- What Will Your Rhinoplasty Cost Be? It Depends on These 3 Things
- What You Should Know About Revision Rhinoplasty
- When to Consider Nose Surgery: Pros & Cons
- Why Is Rhinoplasty One Of The Hardest Procedures?