Plastic Surgeon vs. Cosmetic Surgeon in Toronto: Four Myths
Elective plastic surgery procedure
Although the terms “plastic surgeon” and “cosmetic surgeon” are often used interchangeably, they actually have very different meanings. It is imperative that anyone interested in an elective plastic surgery procedure is aware of the distinction between the two titles. For your convenience, 4 of the most common misconceptions are discussed below.
Myth #1: Any surgeon can perform plastic surgery
Only certified plastic surgeons should perform cosmetic surgeries. General surgeons have not normally undergone the extensive surgical training required to successfully complete such complex surgical procedures. Surgeons who are certified by the Canadian Society of Plastic Surgeons and accredited by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada, however, have undergone a minimum of 5 years of surgical training and have passed the Royal College’s rigorous examination in addition to completing medical school. As a result, they have earned the title of plastic surgeon.
Myth #2: Cosmetic surgery is a plastic surgery “subspecialty”
Many patients assume that cosmetic surgery is a sub-specialty of plastic surgery because the two terms are frequently used together. However, this is not the case. Plastic surgeons tend to specialize in specific areas of the body. When selecting a Toronto plastic surgeon, it is crucial to do your research to ensure that the surgeon has the appropriate experience and qualifications.
Myth #3: All plastic surgeons perform the same procedures
Plastic surgeons have areas of specialization. For the best results, limit your search to surgeons who specialize in the surgery that you are interested in. For example, if you want an eyelid lift, it is best to choose a surgeon with a specialization in facial plastic surgery rather than a surgeon who practices surgery on the rest of the body such as liposuction or breast implants. Some surgeons may offer both face and body procedures, but it is recommended that you ask what their speciality is and narrow down your options based on the level of expertise that each surgeon has in the procedure that you would like. Dr. Torgerson is an excellent choice, as he is one of only a few in his field to have completed 18 years of post-secondary education, including a surgical residency in otolaryngology surgery and a fellowship in cosmetic facial surgery.
Myth #4: The consultation with a plastic surgeon is expensive
Choose a Toronto plastic surgeon who offers a complimentary first consultation. You should feel comfortable asking the surgeon any questions you have about the procedure you are interested in, and you should not feel obligated to choose that particular surgeon for your surgery. You should also feel confident in their ability to meet your goals for the procedure.
The First Step Of Your Journey Begins With A Conversation
We'll Get Back to You Within 1 Business Day.
- Toronto Facial Cosmetic Surgery – How Can Surgeons Make You Look Younger?
- Your Toronto Plastic Surgeon Will Ask You These 5 Questions
- Your Role in Maintaining Facial Cosmetic Surgery Results
- Why You Should See Your Plastic Surgeon When The Weather In Toronto Gets Colder
- What To Expect After Plastic Surgery
- What Should Happen at a Consultation with a Plastic Surgeon?
- What Season is the Best for Facial Surgery
- When Is The Best Time For Men To See A Plastic Surgeon In Toronto?
- What Is The Shelf Life Of Your Cosmetic Surgery Procedure?
- What Is Gore-Tex?
- What Are Some of the Most Popular Plastic Surgery Procedures by Age?
- Toronto Plastic Surgeons Use These Two Techniques to Wake Up Tired Eyes
- Toronto Facial Cosmetic Surgery for Men Is More Common Than You Think
- Toronto Cosmetic Surgeons Reveal Insider Advice You Need
- Top Five Reasons for Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
- Too old for Plastic Surgery?
- Things to Consider Before Choosing Your Plastic Surgeon
- Tips to Know Before Recovering from Your Facial Plastic Surgery
- Top 3 Reasons To Get Plastic Surgery During The Holidays
- These Are the Top Consultation Questions to Ask Your Toronto Plastic Surgeon
- The Perfect Face
- The Top 5 Reasons For Cosmetic Plastic Surgery
- The History of Modern Plastic Surgery
- The Best Plastic Surgeons in Toronto Know These Industry Beauty Secrets to Transform You
- The 5-Part Process Everybody Ought to Know When Working With a Facial Plastic Surgeon
- Strategies to Avoid Regret and Choose the Best Plastic Surgeon in Toronto for You
- Talking To Your Plastic Surgeon In Toronto: 7 Most Important Questions
- Selecting a Cosmetic Surgeon in Toronto Starts with These 3 Important Things
- Revenge Plastic Surgery
- Popular Male Plastic Surgery Procedures
- Preparing for Plastic Surgery: General Guidelines
- Plastic Surgeon vs. Cosmetic Surgeon in Toronto : Four Myths
- Plastic Surgery Tourism
- Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
- Plastic Surgeon vs. Cosmetic Surgeon | What’s the Difference?
- Mommy Makeover Craze
- Most Popular Plastic Surgery Procedures
- Male Plastic Surgery Toronto
- Men and Plastic Surgery
- Learn 2 Ways The Best Plastic Surgeons in Toronto Prevent an “Overdone” Look
- How Will You Know You’re Ready to Meet With a Cosmetic Surgeon in Toronto?
- How Does a Facial Plastic Surgeon Avoid Leaving Scars?
- How Can You Properly Take Care of Your Skin After Your Cosmetic Surgery Procedure?
- How Can You Tell if Your Facial Surgeon is Qualified?
- Find a Plastic Surgeon in Toronto- Here’s What to Look For
- Factors You Haven’t Considered Before Choosing Your Plastic Surgeon
- Facial Cosmetic Surgery is More Popular Than Ever!
- Factors Predicting Satisfaction Among Patients Seeking Facial Cosmetic Surgery
- Facial Cosmetic Surgery in Toronto Can Have Barely Any Scars
- Facial Cosmetic Surgery in Toronto Has Advanced in Surprising Ways
- Facial Contouring Surgery – Find Out How Small Adjustments Can Transform Your Life
- Don’t Get Scammed – What to Look for When Choosing a Facial Plastic Surgeon
- Do Plastic Surgeons Turn Down Patients with Unrealistic Expectations?
- Does Your Cosmetic Surgery Call for A Do-Over?
- Do Your Homework When Considering A Cosmetic Surgeon In Toronto
- Choosing the Best Cosmetic Surgeon in Toronto
- Can You Wear Makeup After Cosmetic Surgery?
- Advice From a Toronto Plastic Surgeon | Will Plastic Surgery Make You Happier?
- Afraid of Plastic Surgery?
- Are Cosmetic Surgery and Plastic Surgery the Same?
- A Look Into Popular Cosmetic Procedures In Asia
- 5 Things To Consider When Choosing a Cosmetic Surgeon In Toronto
- 5 Essential Questions To Ask Your Cosmetic Surgeon In Toronto
- 5 Helpful Ways to Know If You’re a Great Candidate for Toronto Facial Cosmetic Surgery
- 3 Must-Have Toronto Facial Cosmetic Surgery Maintenance Tips
- 5 of The Most Popular Reasons To See A Cosmetic Surgeon in Toronto
State-Of-The-Art Surgical Facility
Our facility offers a luxurious, comfortable and private setting for consultations and surgery with a waiting room that is both spacious and inviting. Although we hope you don’t have to spend too much time waiting to see Dr. Torgerson, within a few minutes you will feel relaxed and at ease.
*Disclaimer: Similar and/or permanent results are not guaranteed based on the treatment/procedure and may vary from patient to patient, based on multiple factors, including genetics and lifestyle of each patient.*
Please note that the Medicine Act, 1991, Part II: Advertising Regulations restricts and regulates advertising by physicians in Ontario. Compliance with these regulations restricts advertising and promotional content. Accordingly, the content of this website is intended for educational and informational purposes only, as the internet is an electronic information system and you are viewing this page unsolicited.
*If you require any further information to learn how our office is fully compliant with Ontario's Personal Health Information Protection Act, please contact us to connect with our Health Information Custodian.