A Look Into Popular Cosmetic Procedures In Asia
There’s no doubt that North America and Europe dominate the global plastic surgery industry, but did you know that now more women in Asia have plastic surgery than any other area in the world?
In fact, 1 in 5 South Korean women has had some form of cosmetic surgery, compared to around 1 in 20 in the United States. With staggeringly high numbers in procedures performed in Korea, we look at the emergence of popular Asian plastic surgery procedures that are taking over the East. Plastic surgery is fiercely gaining momentum with research indicating that China and India are the new expected countries of growth in the cosmetic plastic surgery industry.
In the capital city of plastic surgery, Seoul, cosmetic plastic surgery clinics line the roads as a fundamental part of the lucrative industry that rakes in $5 billion a year. Both the South Korean government and the people of the country are becoming increasingly conscious of the benefits and profitability that plastic surgery can produce for both the citizens and the country.
As of April 2017, South Korea started offering visitors a tax break on cosmetic surgery procedures for a year. The outbreak of MERS (Middle East Respiratory Syndrome) has lead to a significant drop in the amount of visitors that enter the country, therefore negatively impacting Korea’s medical tourism. The tax break is an attempt to revive the declining plastic surgery tourism industry.
Other popular Asian countries with big medical tourism segments include Thailand, Singapore, India, and Malaysia, along with high-budget cities like Dubai. Other countries like the Philippines and Vietnam are emerging markets.
Emerging Cosmetic Trends
The new emerging cosmetic trends seem to have taken over the Asian communities with very little attention to the risks and complications that may arise from these high-level augmentation procedures. Patients must seek a certified plastic surgeon if they are interested in seeking these newly developed procedures with little evidential research that proves their safety over an extended period of time. New extreme procedures are often irreversible, and their end results display higher risks than benefits. Patients should proceed with extreme caution when considering Eastern Asian procedures that are not commonly performed in North America or Europe.
Advanced Research and Development in Skincare Products
Eastern Asian countries are taking the leap in innovative skin care products that are geared for beauty junkies who cannot get enough of the latest new fads in skincare. Korea’s big-business products include comprehensive skincare lines, targeted skin care such as skin whitening or anti-aging, and other best-selling products like sheet masks with key ingredients that are exclusive to their geographically located herbal plants, making them highly attractive to consumers who seek specific products based on ingredients.
Radical Facial Cosmetic Surgery Procedures
The beauty norm in Asia is a bit different than in North America. For example, light, tan-free, porcelain skin is the idealistic skin tone for most Asians, while golden, sun-kissed, tanned skin is desirable for most North American people and for the majority of European countries. Other beauty-driven cosmetic procedures include V-shaped chins, smaller noses, higher nose bridges achieved with nasal implants, and eye-enhancing procedures that either enlarge or open up the shape and size of the eyes.
More recently, there has been a social media circulation of unusual procedures that actually reverse the look that most women and men in North America want to enhance. Fuller lips are associated with youthfulness across Europe and North America. But meanwhile, the Asian community admires thinner, more fragile facial attributes. The following are some of the new radical facial cosmetic surgery procedures.
The First Step Of Your Journey Begins With A Conversation
We'll Get Back to You Within 1 Business Day.
Perma Smile Surgery: The Lipt (Lip Lift)
The outer corners of the mouth are lifted and curved upwards to create a permanent lift and smile.
Lip Reduction Surgery
This surgical procedure reduces the top lip to reflect Caucasian features like narrower cheek bones, deeper-set eyes, and thinner lips to name a few.
Lingual Frenectomy: Tongue-Lengthening Surgery
This procedure involves the removal of a band of tissue that connects the under portion of the tongue with the floor of the mouth to help South Koreans pronounce English words better.
Epicanthoplasty: Eye-Widening Surgery
This procedure widens the eyes by excising and releasing the corners of the eyelids to make the eyes appear larger. The “epicanthal folds” are removed to soften the corners of the eye. This is often paired with a double eyelid surgery.
For a rounder forehead contour, the Asian population are undergoing forehead augmentation with a surgical implant that is placed underneath the skin of the forehead or non-surgically with injections in the forehead like saline injections, fat, or dermal fillers to achieve a smoother, rounded forehead, as is often seen in Caucasian faces.
This common request by the Asian population can be achieved by surgically augmenting the calf muscles or with Botox injections into the calf muscles. Despite the high risks with these procedures such as immobility or mutation, Asian women and men still receive calf reduction surgery to lean out their lower legs.
This extremely high-risk and painful procedure can add up to 3 inches to someone’s height. This procedure yields many disadvantages over the actual benefits. Originally adapted from orthopedic surgeons in the treatment of stunted growths or traumatic events, this surgery can lead to the amputation of the limbs if improperly healed.
- 3 Must-Have Toronto Facial Cosmetic Surgery Maintenance Tips
- 5 Essential Questions To Ask Your Cosmetic Surgeon In Toronto
- 5 Helpful Ways to Know If You’re a Great Candidate for Toronto Facial Cosmetic Surgery
- 5 of The Most Popular Reasons To See A Cosmetic Surgeon in Toronto
- 5 Things To Consider When Choosing a Cosmetic Surgeon In Toronto
- A Look Into Popular Cosmetic Procedures In Asia
- Advice From a Toronto Plastic Surgeon | Will Plastic Surgery Make You Happier?
- Afraid of Plastic Surgery?
- Are Cosmetic Surgery and Plastic Surgery the Same?
- Can You Wear Makeup After Cosmetic Surgery?
- Choosing the Best Cosmetic Surgeon in Toronto
- Do Plastic Surgeons Turn Down Patients with Unrealistic Expectations?
- Do Your Homework When Considering A Cosmetic Surgeon In Toronto
- Does Your Cosmetic Surgery Call for A Do-Over?
- Don’t Get Scammed – What to Look for When Choosing a Facial Plastic Surgeon
- Facial Contouring Surgery – Find Out How Small Adjustments Can Transform Your Life
- Facial Cosmetic Surgery in Toronto Can Have Barely Any Scars
- Facial Cosmetic Surgery in Toronto Has Advanced in Surprising Ways
- Facial Cosmetic Surgery is More Popular Than Ever!
- Factors Predicting Satisfaction Among Patients Seeking Facial Cosmetic Surgery
- Factors You Haven’t Considered Before Choosing Your Plastic Surgeon
- Find a Plastic Surgeon in Toronto- Here’s What to Look For
- How Can You Properly Take Care of Your Skin After Your Cosmetic Surgery Procedure?
- How Can You Tell if Your Facial Surgeon is Qualified?
- How Does a Facial Plastic Surgeon Avoid Leaving Scars?
- How Will You Know You’re Ready to Meet With a Cosmetic Surgeon in Toronto?
- Learn 2 Ways The Best Plastic Surgeons in Toronto Prevent an “Overdone” Look
- Male Plastic Surgery Toronto
- Men and Plastic Surgery
- Mommy Makeover Craze
- Most Popular Plastic Surgery Procedures
- Plastic Surgeon vs. Cosmetic Surgeon | What’s the Difference?
- Plastic Surgeon vs. Cosmetic Surgeon in Toronto : Four Myths
- Plastic Surgery Tourism
- Popular Male Plastic Surgery Procedures
- Preparing for Plastic Surgery: General Guidelines
- Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
- Revenge Plastic Surgery
- Selecting a Cosmetic Surgeon in Toronto Starts with These 3 Important Things
- Strategies to Avoid Regret and Choose the Best Plastic Surgeon in Toronto for You
- Talking To Your Plastic Surgeon In Toronto: 7 Most Important Questions
- The 5-Part Process Everybody Ought to Know When Working With a Facial Plastic Surgeon
- The Best Plastic Surgeons in Toronto Know These Industry Beauty Secrets to Transform You
- The History of Modern Plastic Surgery
- The Perfect Face
- The Top 5 Reasons For Cosmetic Plastic Surgery
- These Are the Top Consultation Questions to Ask Your Toronto Plastic Surgeon
- Things to Consider Before Choosing Your Plastic Surgeon
- Tips to Know Before Recovering from Your Facial Plastic Surgery
- Too old for Plastic Surgery?
- Top 3 Reasons To Get Plastic Surgery During The Holidays
- Top Five Reasons for Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
- Toronto Cosmetic Surgeons Reveal Insider Advice You Need
- Toronto Facial Cosmetic Surgery – How Can Surgeons Make You Look Younger?
- Toronto Facial Cosmetic Surgery for Men Is More Common Than You Think
- Toronto Plastic Surgeons Use These Two Techniques to Wake Up Tired Eyes
- What Are Some of the Most Popular Plastic Surgery Procedures by Age?
- What Is Gore-Tex?
- What Is The Shelf Life Of Your Cosmetic Surgery Procedure?
- What Season is the Best for Facial Surgery
- What Should Happen at a Consultation with a Plastic Surgeon?
- What To Expect After Plastic Surgery
- When Is The Best Time For Men To See A Plastic Surgeon In Toronto?
- Why You Should See Your Plastic Surgeon When the Weather in Toronto Gets Colder
- Your Role in Maintaining Facial Cosmetic Surgery Results
- Your Toronto Plastic Surgeon Will Ask You These 5 Questions
State-Of-The-Art Surgical Facility
Our facility offers a luxurious, comfortable and private setting for consultations and surgery with a waiting room that is both spacious and inviting. Although we hope you don’t have to spend too much time waiting to see Dr. Torgerson, within a few minutes you will feel relaxed and at ease.
*Disclaimer: Similar and/or permanent results are not guaranteed based on the treatment/procedure and may vary from patient to patient, based on multiple factors, including genetics and lifestyle of each patient.*
Please note that the Medicine Act, 1991, Part II: Advertising Regulations restricts and regulates advertising by physicians in Ontario. Compliance with these regulations restricts advertising and promotional content. Accordingly, the content of this website is intended for educational and informational purposes only, as the internet is an electronic information system and you are viewing this page unsolicited.
*If you require any further information to learn how our office is fully compliant with Ontario's Personal Health Information Protection Act, please contact us to connect with our Health Information Custodian.