The History of Modern Plastic Surgery
When a person becomes a centenarian, we all marvel at what an amazing accomplishment it is to turn 100 years old.
All the changes that the individual has seen and the shifts that have occurred in society during that length of time are discussed. Many have thought that facial plastic surgery was only a recent addition to hospital operating rooms, the techniques of plastic surgery were born 100 years ago in 1915. As in the case of an individual, there have been many changes, improvements, and enhancements to plastic surgery over that century.
Necessity Is The Mother Of Invention
Facial Moulding Surgery
A familiar saying is “Necessity is the mother of invention.” Dr. Harold Gillies was an ear, nose, and throat specialist (an Otolaryngologist surgeon, same as Dr. Torgerson) from England who enlisted during World War 1. He was appalled at how disfigured soldiers faces were as a result of shrapnel explosions and decided to do something about it with his expertise.
In order to repair soldiers’ faces, Dr. Gillies would cut strips from their foreheads and transfer the flap to the area where it was needed. He would then stitch up the flap enclosing the live tissues and blood flow. Although this new procedure was crude, it not only lessened infection, but made it possible for the men to re-enter society without feeling as self-conscious. This was the beginning of facial plastic surgery. Some may wonder why the word “plastic” is used. It is derived from the Greek word plastikos, which means to be moulded. Nowadays, we only associate the word plastic with man-made products. Therefore, facial plastic surgery basically means facial moulding surgery.
Look Subtle And Natural, Rather Than Obvious
Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
The new form of surgery continued to improve and was used extensively during World War 2. From this lowly beginning, the industry has exploded around the world. The International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery estimates that last year alone, 15 to 20 million procedures have taken place worldwide. It was born to alleviate disfigurement and now continues to be used as reconstructive plastic surgery, but also as cosmetic surgery to combat the signs of aging.
During the 1920’s, when the film industry emerged, the importance of looks became more important than ever before. Celebrity Plastic surgery became popular with plastic surgeons treating movie stars, celebrities and the elite. Initial procedures were slice and pull techniques. Now everyday individuals are able to afford facial plastic surgery and modern procedures have developed to look subtle and natural, rather than obvious. As a top Facial Plastic Surgeon in Toronto, Dr. Cory Torgerson advocates “looking the best you can be” at every age and “doing the right thing at the right time”. He prefers to enhance your appearance to look like a healthier and more vibrant version of yourself, rather than replicating the looks of the latest Hollywood celebrity.
Why not take advantage of 100 years of accumulated plastic surgery knowledge and book a consultation at our private surgery facility in the heart of Toronto today?
The First Step Of Your Journey Begins With A Conversation
We'll Get Back to You Within 1 Business Day.
- Why You Should See Your Plastic Surgeon When the Weather in Toronto Gets Colder
- What Is The Shelf Life Of Your Cosmetic Surgery Procedure?
- Top Five Reasons for Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
- How Can You Properly Take Care of Your Skin After Your Cosmetic Surgery Procedure?
- Plastic Surgeon vs. Cosmetic Surgeon in Toronto : Four Myths
- Facial Cosmetic Surgery in Toronto Can Have Barely Any Scars
- Strategies to Avoid Regret and Choose the Best Plastic Surgeon in Toronto for You
- How Can You Tell if Your Facial Surgeon is Qualified?
- Your Role in Maintaining Facial Cosmetic Surgery Results
- What Are Some of the Most Popular Plastic Surgery Procedures by Age?
- Top 3 Reasons To Get Plastic Surgery During The Holidays
- Tips to Know Before Recovering from Your Facial Plastic Surgery
- Things to Consider Before Choosing Your Plastic Surgeon
- The 5-Part Process Everybody Ought to Know When Working With a Facial Plastic Surgeon
- Men and Plastic Surgery
- Male Plastic Surgery Toronto
- How Does a Facial Plastic Surgeon Avoid Leaving Scars?
- Facial Cosmetic Surgery is More Popular Than Ever!
- Does Your Cosmetic Surgery Call for A Do-Over?
- Too old for Plastic Surgery?
- Popular Male Plastic Surgery Procedures
- Factors You Haven’t Considered Before Choosing Your Plastic Surgeon
- Don’t Get Scammed – What to Look for When Choosing a Facial Plastic Surgeon
- Talking To Your Plastic Surgeon In Toronto: 7 Most Important Questions
- 5 Helpful Ways to Know If You’re a Great Candidate for Toronto Facial Cosmetic Surgery
- Toronto Facial Cosmetic Surgery – How Can Surgeons Make You Look Younger?
- Your Toronto Plastic Surgeon Will Ask You These 5 Questions
- What Season is the Best for Facial Surgery
- When Is The Best Time For Men To See A Plastic Surgeon In Toronto?
- What Should Happen at a Consultation with a Plastic Surgeon?
- What To Expect After Plastic Surgery
- What Is Gore-Tex?
- Toronto Facial Cosmetic Surgery for Men Is More Common Than You Think
- Toronto Plastic Surgeons Use These Two Techniques to Wake Up Tired Eyes
- Toronto Cosmetic Surgeons Reveal Insider Advice You Need
- These Are the Top Consultation Questions to Ask Your Toronto Plastic Surgeon
- The Perfect Face
- The Top 5 Reasons For Cosmetic Plastic Surgery
- The Best Plastic Surgeons in Toronto Know These Industry Beauty Secrets to Transform You
- The History of Modern Plastic Surgery
- Selecting a Cosmetic Surgeon in Toronto Starts with These 3 Important Things
- Revenge Plastic Surgery
- Plastic Surgery Tourism
- Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
- Preparing for Plastic Surgery: General Guidelines
- Plastic Surgeon vs. Cosmetic Surgeon | What’s the Difference?
- Mommy Makeover Craze
- Most Popular Plastic Surgery Procedures
- Learn 2 Ways The Best Plastic Surgeons in Toronto Prevent an “Overdone” Look
- How Will You Know You’re Ready to Meet With a Cosmetic Surgeon in Toronto?
- Find a Plastic Surgeon in Toronto- Here’s What to Look For
- Facial Cosmetic Surgery in Toronto Has Advanced in Surprising Ways
- Factors Predicting Satisfaction Among Patients Seeking Facial Cosmetic Surgery
- Facial Contouring Surgery – Find Out How Small Adjustments Can Transform Your Life
- Do Your Homework When Considering A Cosmetic Surgeon In Toronto
- Do Plastic Surgeons Turn Down Patients with Unrealistic Expectations?
- Choosing the Best Cosmetic Surgeon in Toronto
- Can You Wear Makeup After Cosmetic Surgery?
- Advice From a Toronto Plastic Surgeon | Will Plastic Surgery Make You Happier?
- Afraid of Plastic Surgery?
- Are Cosmetic Surgery and Plastic Surgery the Same?
- A Look Into Popular Cosmetic Procedures In Asia
- 5 Things To Consider When Choosing a Cosmetic Surgeon In Toronto
- 5 Essential Questions To Ask Your Cosmetic Surgeon In Toronto
- 3 Must-Have Toronto Facial Cosmetic Surgery Maintenance Tips
- 5 of The Most Popular Reasons To See A Cosmetic Surgeon in Toronto
State-Of-The-Art Surgical Facility
Our facility offers a luxurious, comfortable and private setting for consultations and surgery with a waiting room that is both spacious and inviting. Although we hope you don’t have to spend too much time waiting to see Dr. Torgerson, within a few minutes you will feel relaxed and at ease.
*Disclaimer: Similar and/or permanent results are not guaranteed based on the treatment/procedure and may vary from patient to patient, based on multiple factors, including genetics and lifestyle of each patient.*
Please note that the Medicine Act, 1991, Part II: Advertising Regulations restricts and regulates advertising by physicians in Ontario. Compliance with these regulations restricts advertising and promotional content. Accordingly, the content of this website is intended for educational and informational purposes only, as the internet is an electronic information system and you are viewing this page unsolicited.
*If you require any further information to learn how our office is fully compliant with Ontario's Personal Health Information Protection Act, please contact us to connect with our Health Information Custodian.