How Can You Tell if Your Facial Surgeon is Qualified?
If you’re considering cosmetic surgery in Toronto, choosing the right facial surgeon is a vital step towards getting the balanced, natural results you’re seeking.
Whether you’re hoping to reduce the prominence of your nose bridge or contour your jawline, it’s essential to place yourself and your appearance in capable hands. But how can you tell if your facial plastic surgeon is qualified?
Dr. Cory Torgerson
Most patients today prefer to be well informed and empowered by their own research before selecting a plastic surgeon. However, in the social media-saturated online world, the abundance of advice and marketing surrounding cosmetic treatments can feel overwhelming. We’re here to cut through the clutter and help you focus on the vital need-to-know factors for approaching your facial plastic surgery with confidence and sound research. Read on for help with planning your new look.
Here are some of the most common factors patients consider when seeking a facial surgeon:
- Areas of specialization
- Before and after photos
We will also outline a few red flags to look out for
1. Qualifications and specialization
What does “board certified” mean?
You may have come across the term “board-certified” in your research. This term is used in the U.S. It means that an American surgeon has achieved specialized certification in one or more of the 24 ABMS member boards (American Board of Medical Specialties). In the States, surgeons can be board-certified in a multitude of specialties, so it doesn’t represent one high-level standard.
In Canada, the only accreditation college for surgeons is the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada. If you don’t see that certification on your potential surgeon’s website, you’ll want to continue your search.
Choose a surgeon who has specific expertise in facial cosmetic surgery:
It is not enough for your surgeon to have general experience in plastic surgery. Someone who wants the best facelift surgeon in Toronto, for example, should look for a physician who specializes in facial surgery. It’s vital to find someone who has expert knowledge of all the intricacies involved with enhancing the face. Specialists are the most qualified to make treatment recommendations, and they will know which techniques could best achieve your goals.
2. Evidence to back up experience
Just because a facial surgeon claims to use the latest techniques, that doesn’t mean they have done so successfully. Look for a surgeon with many years of experience as well as great reviews to back up the methods they advertise. Reputable cosmetic surgeons should have a long list of happy patients and
- before and after photos listed on the website or at the clinic
- success stories and online reviews
- a list of reputable references
Avoid surgeons who downplay risks:
All surgical procedures come with risks attached. Facial plastic surgery is generally very safe, but if someone claims that it is risk-free, that should be a red flag. Physicians who are dedicated to their patients’ well-being understand that every client benefits from being fully informed of the considerations involved and clearly understanding the safety measures put in place to protect you.
You should feel at ease during your initial consultation:
Of course, it’s natural to feel nervous, but pay attention to your gut once the appointment is done. Facial surgeons should exhibit a high level of understanding and compassion towards patients. You should feel listened to and comfortable asking any questions you may have. Consider it a warning sign if your concerns are disregarded or you don’t feel you are on the same page. It’s entirely acceptable to schedule more than one consultation to compare your experiences and recommendations.
4. Location and availability
Another factor for decision making should be how available your surgeon is to discuss patient concerns. You should feel welcome to create a list of concerns you have before your first appointment. However, we’ve all experienced how it feels to leave a doctor’s office and think of a question you wish you’d asked. Your physician should make themselves available to ensure that you feel confident in your surgical plan. You can also ask how they monitor and support recovery. If you choose someone who is dedicated to helping you achieve results, you can expect to be able to contact them with questions and make appointments post-op.
5. Remember that cosmetic procedures are generally high-cost
There are unavoidable costs directly linked to expertise and best care before, during, and after your procedure. Plus, if you schedule your surgery out of the country, it’s difficult to make sure beforehand that facilities are up to optimal standards. It’s vital to be vigilant so that you don’t save money at the expense of a sub-standard or unsafe outcome.
Because this is a significant decision that affects your appearance and your quality of life, you’ll need to be financially able to choose the most qualified physician available. Most reputable clinics in Toronto can provide or connect you with medical financing services to help make payment more manageable.
Consult with Dr. Cory Torgerson
Dr. Cory Torgerson is certified by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada in head, neck and facial surgery. He has 18 years of post-secondary education, several of which were completed at the prestigious University of Toronto. Dr. Torgerson has garnered national recognition for his incredible surgical skills and his ability to precisely pinpoint areas of need. He has a stellar safety record and takes an honest approach when building individualized surgical plans with patients.
At our chic Yorkville practice, we offer the aesthetic industry’s most innovative products and techniques to combine the surgical and non-surgical solutions that harmonize beautifully. We will not upsell you on services, and consultations are no-obligation and comfortable. We invite you to visit our knowledgeable team and meet Dr. Torgerson to talk about what you’d like to improve. We’ll listen, and we will work closely with you to create options that suit you.
The First Step Of Your Journey Begins With A Conversation
We'll Get Back to You Within 1 Business Day.
- Why You Should See Your Plastic Surgeon When the Weather in Toronto Gets Colder
- What Is The Shelf Life Of Your Cosmetic Surgery Procedure?
- Top Five Reasons for Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
- How Can You Properly Take Care of Your Skin After Your Cosmetic Surgery Procedure?
- Plastic Surgeon vs. Cosmetic Surgeon in Toronto : Four Myths
- Facial Cosmetic Surgery in Toronto Can Have Barely Any Scars
- Strategies to Avoid Regret and Choose the Best Plastic Surgeon in Toronto for You
- How Can You Tell if Your Facial Surgeon is Qualified?
- Your Role in Maintaining Facial Cosmetic Surgery Results
- What Are Some of the Most Popular Plastic Surgery Procedures by Age?
- Top 3 Reasons To Get Plastic Surgery During The Holidays
- Tips to Know Before Recovering from Your Facial Plastic Surgery
- Things to Consider Before Choosing Your Plastic Surgeon
- The 5-Part Process Everybody Ought to Know When Working With a Facial Plastic Surgeon
- Men and Plastic Surgery
- Male Plastic Surgery Toronto
- How Does a Facial Plastic Surgeon Avoid Leaving Scars?
- Facial Cosmetic Surgery is More Popular Than Ever!
- Does Your Cosmetic Surgery Call for A Do-Over?
- Too old for Plastic Surgery?
- Popular Male Plastic Surgery Procedures
- Factors You Haven’t Considered Before Choosing Your Plastic Surgeon
- Don’t Get Scammed – What to Look for When Choosing a Facial Plastic Surgeon
- Talking To Your Plastic Surgeon In Toronto: 7 Most Important Questions
- 5 Helpful Ways to Know If You’re a Great Candidate for Toronto Facial Cosmetic Surgery
- Toronto Facial Cosmetic Surgery – How Can Surgeons Make You Look Younger?
- Your Toronto Plastic Surgeon Will Ask You These 5 Questions
- What Season is the Best for Facial Surgery
- When Is The Best Time For Men To See A Plastic Surgeon In Toronto?
- What Should Happen at a Consultation with a Plastic Surgeon?
- What To Expect After Plastic Surgery
- What Is Gore-Tex?
- Toronto Facial Cosmetic Surgery for Men Is More Common Than You Think
- Toronto Plastic Surgeons Use These Two Techniques to Wake Up Tired Eyes
- Toronto Cosmetic Surgeons Reveal Insider Advice You Need
- These Are the Top Consultation Questions to Ask Your Toronto Plastic Surgeon
- The Perfect Face
- The Top 5 Reasons For Cosmetic Plastic Surgery
- The Best Plastic Surgeons in Toronto Know These Industry Beauty Secrets to Transform You
- The History of Modern Plastic Surgery
- Selecting a Cosmetic Surgeon in Toronto Starts with These 3 Important Things
- Revenge Plastic Surgery
- Plastic Surgery Tourism
- Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
- Preparing for Plastic Surgery: General Guidelines
- Plastic Surgeon vs. Cosmetic Surgeon | What’s the Difference?
- Mommy Makeover Craze
- Most Popular Plastic Surgery Procedures
- Learn 2 Ways The Best Plastic Surgeons in Toronto Prevent an “Overdone” Look
- How Will You Know You’re Ready to Meet With a Cosmetic Surgeon in Toronto?
- Find a Plastic Surgeon in Toronto- Here’s What to Look For
- Facial Cosmetic Surgery in Toronto Has Advanced in Surprising Ways
- Factors Predicting Satisfaction Among Patients Seeking Facial Cosmetic Surgery
- Facial Contouring Surgery – Find Out How Small Adjustments Can Transform Your Life
- Do Your Homework When Considering A Cosmetic Surgeon In Toronto
- Do Plastic Surgeons Turn Down Patients with Unrealistic Expectations?
- Choosing the Best Cosmetic Surgeon in Toronto
- Can You Wear Makeup After Cosmetic Surgery?
- Advice From a Toronto Plastic Surgeon | Will Plastic Surgery Make You Happier?
- Afraid of Plastic Surgery?
- Are Cosmetic Surgery and Plastic Surgery the Same?
- A Look Into Popular Cosmetic Procedures In Asia
- 5 Things To Consider When Choosing a Cosmetic Surgeon In Toronto
- 5 Essential Questions To Ask Your Cosmetic Surgeon In Toronto
- 3 Must-Have Toronto Facial Cosmetic Surgery Maintenance Tips
- 5 of The Most Popular Reasons To See A Cosmetic Surgeon in Toronto
State-Of-The-Art Surgical Facility
Our facility offers a luxurious, comfortable and private setting for consultations and surgery with a waiting room that is both spacious and inviting. Although we hope you don’t have to spend too much time waiting to see Dr. Torgerson, within a few minutes you will feel relaxed and at ease.
*Disclaimer: Similar and/or permanent results are not guaranteed based on the treatment/procedure and may vary from patient to patient, based on multiple factors, including genetics and lifestyle of each patient.*
Please note that the Medicine Act, 1991, Part II: Advertising Regulations restricts and regulates advertising by physicians in Ontario. Compliance with these regulations restricts advertising and promotional content. Accordingly, the content of this website is intended for educational and informational purposes only, as the internet is an electronic information system and you are viewing this page unsolicited.
*If you require any further information to learn how our office is fully compliant with Ontario's Personal Health Information Protection Act, please contact us to connect with our Health Information Custodian.