Plastic Surgeon vs. Cosmetic Surgeon | What’s the Difference?
Entrust only a certified plastic surgeon
If you are planning a plastic surgery procedure, such as a brow lift, rhinoplasty, or liposuction, it is extremely important to spend time researching options prior to scheduling your consultation appointment. When narrowing down your options, you may notice that the terms plastic surgeon and cosmetic surgeon are often used interchangeably. However, it is important to be aware of the distinction between the two titles and to ensure that you only entrust a certified Toronto plastic surgeon when undergoing any type of plastic surgery procedure.
Plastic surgery can be expensive, it is an investment worth making
While all surgeons are trained physicians, many doctors who promote themselves as cosmetic surgeons are general practitioners or general surgeons and therefore do not have in-depth and specialized cosmetic surgery training. The field of plastic and reconstructive surgery is a complex specialty. In some instances, dermatologists, dentists, or other physicians may simply complete weekend courses about specialized procedures such as breast augmentation or liposuction and then label themselves “cosmetic surgeons”. This basic training does not give them the knowledge and skill required to complete complex plastic surgery and ensure an optimal outcome for you.
Boost your confidence and improve appearance
Plastic surgeons are highly qualified specialists who have completed a minimum of 5 years of rigorous training in reconstructive and plastic surgery in addition to earning their medical degree. In many instances, plastic surgeons have also completed further training in their area of specialization, demonstrating exceptional focus and dedication to their practice.
Plastic surgeons are members of the Canadian Society of Plastic Surgeons, a professional society that requires that all members be surgical specialists who have completed all of the necessary training and are certified in their designated field. Because the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada regulate plastic surgeons, they ensure that plastic surgeons are highly qualified experts in reconstructive and aesthetic cosmetic surgical procedures. As part of this regulation, plastic surgeons have hospital privileges or operate in a clinic or facility which is certified by the Out-of-Hospital Premises Inspection Program (OHPIP), which is also regulated by the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario. As such, selecting a designated plastic surgeon ensures that your surgery is performed in an environment that meets the required medical and safety standards.
If you are considering plastic surgery to enhance your appearance, take your time when selecting the right plastic surgeon for you. After carefully researching Toronto plastic surgeons, be sure that you ask a number of important questions during your consultations with all the surgeons you meet. While cosmetic surgeons may promise to deliver exceptional results, only certified plastic surgeons have the credentials necessary to achieve optimal results when performing sophisticated surgical procedures.
The First Step Of Your Journey Begins With A Conversation
We'll Get Back to You Within 1 Business Day.
- 3 Must-Have Toronto Facial Cosmetic Surgery Maintenance Tips
- 5 Essential Questions To Ask Your Cosmetic Surgeon In Toronto
- 5 Helpful Ways to Know If You’re a Great Candidate for Toronto Facial Cosmetic Surgery
- 5 of The Most Popular Reasons To See A Cosmetic Surgeon in Toronto
- 5 Things To Consider When Choosing a Cosmetic Surgeon In Toronto
- A Look Into Popular Cosmetic Procedures In Asia
- Advice From a Toronto Plastic Surgeon | Will Plastic Surgery Make You Happier?
- Afraid of Plastic Surgery?
- Are Cosmetic Surgery and Plastic Surgery the Same?
- Can You Wear Makeup After Cosmetic Surgery?
- Choosing the Best Cosmetic Surgeon in Toronto
- Do Plastic Surgeons Turn Down Patients with Unrealistic Expectations?
- Do Your Homework When Considering A Cosmetic Surgeon In Toronto
- Does Your Cosmetic Surgery Call for A Do-Over?
- Don’t Get Scammed – What to Look for When Choosing a Facial Plastic Surgeon
- Facial Contouring Surgery – Find Out How Small Adjustments Can Transform Your Life
- Facial Cosmetic Surgery in Toronto Can Have Barely Any Scars
- Facial Cosmetic Surgery in Toronto Has Advanced in Surprising Ways
- Facial Cosmetic Surgery is More Popular Than Ever!
- Factors Predicting Satisfaction Among Patients Seeking Facial Cosmetic Surgery
- Factors You Haven’t Considered Before Choosing Your Plastic Surgeon
- Find a Plastic Surgeon in Toronto- Here’s What to Look For
- How Can You Properly Take Care of Your Skin After Your Cosmetic Surgery Procedure?
- How Can You Tell if Your Facial Surgeon is Qualified?
- How Does a Facial Plastic Surgeon Avoid Leaving Scars?
- How Will You Know You’re Ready to Meet With a Cosmetic Surgeon in Toronto?
- Learn 2 Ways The Best Plastic Surgeons in Toronto Prevent an “Overdone” Look
- Male Plastic Surgery Toronto
- Men and Plastic Surgery
- Mommy Makeover Craze
- Most Popular Plastic Surgery Procedures
- Plastic Surgeon vs. Cosmetic Surgeon | What’s the Difference?
- Plastic Surgeon vs. Cosmetic Surgeon in Toronto : Four Myths
- Plastic Surgery Tourism
- Popular Male Plastic Surgery Procedures
- Preparing for Plastic Surgery: General Guidelines
- Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
- Revenge Plastic Surgery
- Selecting a Cosmetic Surgeon in Toronto Starts with These 3 Important Things
- Strategies to Avoid Regret and Choose the Best Plastic Surgeon in Toronto for You
- Talking To Your Plastic Surgeon In Toronto: 7 Most Important Questions
- The 5-Part Process Everybody Ought to Know When Working With a Facial Plastic Surgeon
- The Best Plastic Surgeons in Toronto Know These Industry Beauty Secrets to Transform You
- The History of Modern Plastic Surgery
- The Perfect Face
- The Top 5 Reasons For Cosmetic Plastic Surgery
- These Are the Top Consultation Questions to Ask Your Toronto Plastic Surgeon
- Things to Consider Before Choosing Your Plastic Surgeon
- Tips to Know Before Recovering from Your Facial Plastic Surgery
- Too old for Plastic Surgery?
- Top 3 Reasons To Get Plastic Surgery During The Holidays
- Top Five Reasons for Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
- Toronto Cosmetic Surgeons Reveal Insider Advice You Need
- Toronto Facial Cosmetic Surgery – How Can Surgeons Make You Look Younger?
- Toronto Facial Cosmetic Surgery for Men Is More Common Than You Think
- Toronto Plastic Surgeons Use These Two Techniques to Wake Up Tired Eyes
- What Are Some of the Most Popular Plastic Surgery Procedures by Age?
- What Is Gore-Tex?
- What Is The Shelf Life Of Your Cosmetic Surgery Procedure?
- What Season is the Best for Facial Surgery
- What Should Happen at a Consultation with a Plastic Surgeon?
- What To Expect After Plastic Surgery
- When Is The Best Time For Men To See A Plastic Surgeon In Toronto?
- Why You Should See Your Plastic Surgeon When the Weather in Toronto Gets Colder
- Your Role in Maintaining Facial Cosmetic Surgery Results
- Your Toronto Plastic Surgeon Will Ask You These 5 Questions
State-Of-The-Art Surgical Facility
Our facility offers a luxurious, comfortable and private setting for consultations and surgery with a waiting room that is both spacious and inviting. Although we hope you don’t have to spend too much time waiting to see Dr. Torgerson, within a few minutes you will feel relaxed and at ease.
*Disclaimer: Similar and/or permanent results are not guaranteed based on the treatment/procedure and may vary from patient to patient, based on multiple factors, including genetics and lifestyle of each patient.*
Please note that the Medicine Act, 1991, Part II: Advertising Regulations restricts and regulates advertising by physicians in Ontario. Compliance with these regulations restricts advertising and promotional content. Accordingly, the content of this website is intended for educational and informational purposes only, as the internet is an electronic information system and you are viewing this page unsolicited.
*If you require any further information to learn how our office is fully compliant with Ontario's Personal Health Information Protection Act, please contact us to connect with our Health Information Custodian.