The 5-Part Process Everybody Ought to Know When Working With a Facial Plastic Surgeon
Facial plastic surgery is growing in popularity, and with good reason. Modern cosmetic procedures can be transformative and endow you with beautifully balanced features.
Past social stigmas have all but vanished, and today people of all backgrounds feel empowered to make aesthetic improvements that last. Once you’ve decided to begin your facial plastic surgery journey, it’s critical that you choose the best facial plastic surgeon for the job. We have a handful of essential, “need-to-know” info that can ensure a successful outcome.
Dr. Cory Torgerson Facial Plastic Surgeon
Eyebrow lift, nose job, & much more…
Whether you’re thinking of an eyebrow lift, nose job, or anything in between, visiting a facial plastic surgeon can open a world of options to you. Your face is the feature you present most publicly, and insecurities about it can leave you feeling self-conscious. Whether you’re just beginning your research or you’ve been looking for a while, we’re here to help.
1. Consider the specialists who work only in facial surgery
It‘s essential that facial plastic surgery is expertly executed to leave your face looking healthy and natural. With the ever-growing number of doctors performing cosmetic surgery, it’s hard to know who to choose. And all of those advertisements coming up on social media with huge followings don’t help. That’s because the right choice for you in particular will be the expert who checks all your boxes.
Start by narrowing the pool of possible surgeons and clinics. If you’re seeking the best plastic surgeon in Toronto, limit your options by experience and credentials. As with any cosmetic surgery, there are risks involved, so we’d suggest you choose a facial plastic surgeon with advanced expertise in the field. Insufficient research beforehand can end up damaging your appearance as well as your budget.
Whether you’re looking for someone to perform your rhinoplasty, liquid lift, or lip enhancement, consider the following factors when gathering information:
- Which surgeons in your area have extensive experience performing the specific procedures you want?
- Do they specialize in facial plastic or nasal surgery and have the credentials? For example, are they accredited with the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada?
- Honesty is key. Is the website transparent about risks? Highlighting benefits is okay. However, no one should promise you perfection or a flawless outcome.
- Do they use the latest techniques, and have they done so successfully? Just because a method is new, that doesn’t mean it’s the best. So make sure that the surgeon you choose has extensive experience with the techniques they use.
2. Meet in person and come prepared for your consultation
It may seem counter-intuitive, but it’s usually best to consult a plastic surgeon before you choose the procedure. You may believe that you need a facelift only to find that less invasive treatments can provide outstanding results without surgery. It’s possible to seek a nose-shrinking rhinoplasty, and then learn that your chin could be augmented to give the facial balance you really need. An expert surgeon will listen to your concerns, outline risks, and plan a realistic way to move forward. They’ll usually have more than one approach to deliver comprehensive improvements. Feel free to ask lots of questions.
A physician’s bedside manner and genuine communication are just as important as their surgical skills. Booking an initial consultation does not mean you have to proceed with that surgeon. Ask yourself these questions:
- Did you feel listened to, and were you able to express all your concerns?
- Did the surgeon explain things in a way you could understand?
- Are you comfortable with the plan you were offered, and were other options presented to you?
- Was the consultation thorough, and did it include the latest technology such as 3D imaging to show you how the results could look?
- Was your surgeon transparent about the risks involved?
- Were you shown other patient examples like rhinoplasty before and after photos?
3. Plan ahead for your recovery
You’ve selected a facial plastic surgeon you feel confident about, and your procedure is scheduled. Now it’s time to plan for your recovery. Every treatment and every person is different, so the downtime needed will vary. Some cosmetic alterations carry little to no downtime, and others require much more. Be prepared to give your body the time it needs to heal (and a little extra if you can swing it). The stress-free, relaxed experience you’ll have will be well worth it. Here are a few steps to follow:
- Turn part of your home into a staycation environment, complete with Netflix, easy access to snacks and water, and anything else you might need.
- Have someone around who can help with the kids and pets or with chores around the house so you can take it easy. (This is a great time to call in favours, and don’t hesitate to ask friends for help.)
- Stay away from scary surgical stories online and bring any concerns to your doctor rather than rely on anecdotal web sources.
- Follow all the post-op care steps given to you and attend every appointment to ensure a healthy and safe recovery.
4. Be patient and realistic about your results
Your facial surgeon will outline the practical improvements that you can expect from your procedure. You’ll still look like you, but with more balanced and enhanced features. Also, remember that you will continue to age after a procedure like a facelift, but you’ll age far more gracefully.
Be patient with your body. After the first month, swelling may linger for up to a year. Don’t worry, the vast majority will be gone in just a few weeks, but it can naturally take several months for full results to be visible. Depending on the procedure, you may also experience slight numbness or nerve sensations that aren’t painful but require patience. Following post-op care instructions and not pushing yourself to get back to work or the gym right away will help you heal quicker.
5. Take care of your skin
We recommend a daily anti-aging skincare routine that will help cleanse the outer layers of your skin and get rid of dead skin cells.
- Get enough sleep and stay hydrated by drinking 6 to 8 glasses of water daily for a hydrated, healthy glow.
- Use sunblock to protect your complexion from damaging rays.
- Use a high-grade cleanser and moisturizer daily and exfoliate once a week.
- Eat lots of fruits and veggies, which contain potent vitamins and antioxidants.
- Use high-quality makeup to protect your skin.
- Explore non-surgical skincare treatments that can boost your appearance like injectables and facials.
Follow these 5 steps to make sure that you work harmoniously with your cosmetic surgeon and end up with lasting results.
Cosmetic Surgeon Toronto
Dr. Cory Torgerson is considered an expert facial plastic surgeon and is committed to the exciting field of head and neck procedures. He’s a leader in innovative cosmetic techniques with an excellent safety record and an honest, open approach when creating surgical plans. At his Toronto cosmetic clinic, you can expect the highest level of care from his hand-picked medical professional team, who will walk alongside you through your whole, transformational journey. If you’re considering facial surgery, Dr. Torgerson will be happy to speak with you. Contact us to schedule your consultation today.
The First Step Of Your Journey Begins With A Conversation
We'll Get Back to You Within 1 Business Day.
State-Of-The-Art Surgical Facility
Our facility offers a luxurious, comfortable and private setting for consultations and surgery with a waiting room that is both spacious and inviting. Although we hope you don’t have to spend too much time waiting to see Dr. Torgerson, within a few minutes you will feel relaxed and at ease.