Preparing for Plastic Surgery: General Guidelines
There are many reasons why an individual may choose to undergo cosmetic surgery.
They range from the desire to change the appearance of one or more features (either because they are not satisfied with their natural appearance or because their appearance has changed with age) to correcting defects or injuries that were the result of an illness or accident.
Advances in medical technology have made it possible for a person to gain a more appealing appearance through a number of cosmetic procedures including rhinoplasty, facelift, eyelid surgery, neck lift, brow lift, chin implants, and otoplasty, to name a few.
All of these procedures have the potential to improve the quality of a patient’s life by helping them to look better and feel better about themselves. It is important to keep in ,however, that any surgery is a big ,and there are certain steps you can take that will help you get the best results and a faster recovery.
Dr. Torgerson’s office will also schedule a pre-operative appointment for you to meet with Dr. Torgerson and discuss any outstanding questions as well as to go over the standard consent forms that outline the entire procedure and the risks involved.
The First Step Before Any Procedure Is To Have A Consultation With Dr. Torgerson
Your Initial Consultation
During the consultation you can discuss your goals for the surgery and he can evaluate you to determine what procedures would be most beneficial for you.
It is important to be completely honest about any health conditions that you may have. It’s also an opportunity to ask questions. Knowing what to expect will help minimize any anxiety that you may be experiencing.
Expectations are also important to manage. After assessing you, Dr. Torgerson will give you an idea of what you may realistically expect to achieve through any given procedure. He will also let you know about average recovery times for the procedure(s) that you are considering.
On The Day Of The Surgery
Once you have booked your surgery, you will receive a comprehensive Surgery Information Package from Dr. Torgerson’s office. This package includes many specific details about your selected cosmetic surgery and how to prepare beforehand, what to do on the day of surgery, as well as what to expect afterwards. Some of the simple guidelines that apply to everyone on the day of surgery, no matter what the cosmetic procedure are as follows:
Do not wear any jewellery on the day of the surgery. Dress in comfortable clothes, possibly with a zipper in front.
While having cosmetic surgery can yield great results for the patient, the surgery itself and the days leading up to it can be stressful for the patient. Planning in advance and properly preparing for surgery, however, can take a lot of anxiety away and help give you a much better experience.
General Guidelines That Apply To All Cosmetic Surgical Procedures
Before The Surgery
- Stop smoking at least 2 to 4 weeks in advance, as smoking can interfere with your recovery.
- Stop consuming alcohol at least 2 weeks in advance of the procedure.
- Stop taking any blood-thinning medication at least 2 weeks in advance, as it may interfere with blood clotting during and after the procedure.
- Don’t eat anything at midnight before your surgery.
- Dr. Torgerson may prescribe medication for you to take prior to your surgery. Fill your prescription for the pain medication you will be taking after the surgery so it is ready for you when you return home.
Precautions That Should Be Taken Following The Surgery
- The patient may take bath or shower 48 hours after the surgery, but they have to be careful that they don’t wet the dressing. Even after the dressing is removed, make sure not to directly expose the incision site to water.
- Use sun block after the bandage is removed around the operated area, as it is prone to sunburn.
- The patient should allow for 10 weeks of healing time before re-piercing is done.
- Do not smoke for at least a few weeks following the procedure, as it can delay healing.
- Do not drink alcohol for at least a few weeks, as it can delay healing.
- Sleep in a position that will not put pressure on the ear that was operated on.
- Plan in advance for someone to accompany you who will be able to drive you home following the surgery. If they can be around for a few days to help you out after the surgery, that is even better.
- Stock up on everything you’re going to need in the week following the surgery, including groceries, medication, bandages, gauze, mattress pads, and so forth.
The First Step Of Your Journey Begins With A Conversation
We'll Get Back to You Within 1 Business Day.
- 3 Must-Have Toronto Facial Cosmetic Surgery Maintenance Tips
- 5 Essential Questions To Ask Your Cosmetic Surgeon In Toronto
- 5 Helpful Ways to Know If You’re a Great Candidate for Toronto Facial Cosmetic Surgery
- 5 of The Most Popular Reasons To See A Cosmetic Surgeon in Toronto
- 5 Things To Consider When Choosing a Cosmetic Surgeon In Toronto
- A Look Into Popular Cosmetic Procedures In Asia
- Advice From a Toronto Plastic Surgeon | Will Plastic Surgery Make You Happier?
- Afraid of Plastic Surgery?
- Are Cosmetic Surgery and Plastic Surgery the Same?
- Can You Wear Makeup After Cosmetic Surgery?
- Choosing the Best Cosmetic Surgeon in Toronto
- Do Plastic Surgeons Turn Down Patients with Unrealistic Expectations?
- Do Your Homework When Considering A Cosmetic Surgeon In Toronto
- Does Your Cosmetic Surgery Call for A Do-Over?
- Don’t Get Scammed – What to Look for When Choosing a Facial Plastic Surgeon
- Facial Contouring Surgery – Find Out How Small Adjustments Can Transform Your Life
- Facial Cosmetic Surgery in Toronto Can Have Barely Any Scars
- Facial Cosmetic Surgery in Toronto Has Advanced in Surprising Ways
- Facial Cosmetic Surgery is More Popular Than Ever!
- Factors Predicting Satisfaction Among Patients Seeking Facial Cosmetic Surgery
- Factors You Haven’t Considered Before Choosing Your Plastic Surgeon
- Find a Plastic Surgeon in Toronto- Here’s What to Look For
- How Can You Properly Take Care of Your Skin After Your Cosmetic Surgery Procedure?
- How Can You Tell if Your Facial Surgeon is Qualified?
- How Does a Facial Plastic Surgeon Avoid Leaving Scars?
- How Will You Know You’re Ready to Meet With a Cosmetic Surgeon in Toronto?
- Learn 2 Ways The Best Plastic Surgeons in Toronto Prevent an “Overdone” Look
- Male Plastic Surgery Toronto
- Men and Plastic Surgery
- Mommy Makeover Craze
- Most Popular Plastic Surgery Procedures
- Plastic Surgeon vs. Cosmetic Surgeon | What’s the Difference?
- Plastic Surgeon vs. Cosmetic Surgeon in Toronto : Four Myths
- Plastic Surgery Tourism
- Popular Male Plastic Surgery Procedures
- Preparing for Plastic Surgery: General Guidelines
- Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
- Revenge Plastic Surgery
- Selecting a Cosmetic Surgeon in Toronto Starts with These 3 Important Things
- Strategies to Avoid Regret and Choose the Best Plastic Surgeon in Toronto for You
- Talking To Your Plastic Surgeon In Toronto: 7 Most Important Questions
- The 5-Part Process Everybody Ought to Know When Working With a Facial Plastic Surgeon
- The Best Plastic Surgeons in Toronto Know These Industry Beauty Secrets to Transform You
- The History of Modern Plastic Surgery
- The Perfect Face
- The Top 5 Reasons For Cosmetic Plastic Surgery
- These Are the Top Consultation Questions to Ask Your Toronto Plastic Surgeon
- Things to Consider Before Choosing Your Plastic Surgeon
- Tips to Know Before Recovering from Your Facial Plastic Surgery
- Too old for Plastic Surgery?
- Top 3 Reasons To Get Plastic Surgery During The Holidays
- Top Five Reasons for Reconstructive Plastic Surgery
- Toronto Cosmetic Surgeons Reveal Insider Advice You Need
- Toronto Facial Cosmetic Surgery – How Can Surgeons Make You Look Younger?
- Toronto Facial Cosmetic Surgery for Men Is More Common Than You Think
- Toronto Plastic Surgeons Use These Two Techniques to Wake Up Tired Eyes
- What Are Some of the Most Popular Plastic Surgery Procedures by Age?
- What Is Gore-Tex?
- What Is The Shelf Life Of Your Cosmetic Surgery Procedure?
- What Season is the Best for Facial Surgery
- What Should Happen at a Consultation with a Plastic Surgeon?
- What To Expect After Plastic Surgery
- When Is The Best Time For Men To See A Plastic Surgeon In Toronto?
- Why You Should See Your Plastic Surgeon When the Weather in Toronto Gets Colder
- Your Role in Maintaining Facial Cosmetic Surgery Results
- Your Toronto Plastic Surgeon Will Ask You These 5 Questions
State-Of-The-Art Surgical Facility
Our facility offers a luxurious, comfortable and private setting for consultations and surgery with a waiting room that is both spacious and inviting. Although we hope you don’t have to spend too much time waiting to see Dr. Torgerson, within a few minutes you will feel relaxed and at ease.