Cosmetic Procedure Aftercare
Elective cosmetic surgery is an important life-altering decision for people who want to improve and enhance the appearance of their skin.
Ageing is a phenomenon that happens to everyone. When the body begins to age, the effects can be particularly seen on the face. This is why most people choose to target the face, eyes, and neck first before any other areas on the body. There are many ways to address signs of aging with surgical and non-surgical procedures. A consultation with Dr. Torgerson will determine the type of treatment that you need based on your expectations. How you take care of your skin post-procedure is instrumental in how your face recovers from the effects of surgery.
Resume Normal Activities Fairly Quickly
Almost all cosmetic procedures, surgical or non-surgical, cause some form of injury to the skin. Non-invasive cosmetic procedures vary in the degree to which they affect your skin in comparison to surgical procedures. The skin is often intact in non-invasive procedures, which allows patients to resume normal activities fairly quickly, whereas surgical procedures can sometimes leave the skin open for natural wound healing that eventually closes off within the first few weeks. In both cases, the use of cosmeceuticals and topical medications should be discontinued about a week prior and a few weeks afterwards. Always consult your performing plastic surgeon on the safety of your skincare products before and after cosmetic procedures. To understand the nature of your recovery, it is advisable to do personal research on your treatment to better understand the processes involved with the surgical or non-surgical procedure. The commonality amongst most facial treatments offered here at Dr. Torgerson’s Facial Cosmetic Clinic are below.
Cosmetic procedures that leave you with intact skin include the following:
- Microdermabrasion with SilkPeel facials
- Non-ablative laser resurfacing procedures with Ultherapy, ClearLift, AFT, and 1064 YAG lasers
- Mild chemical peels with EAPro customized chemical peels
- Fillers or Botox with a variety of dermal filler types that contain hyaluronic acids and botulinum toxin (aka botox)
Cosmetic procedures that leave you with open wounds or broken skin include:
- Ablative laser resurfacing treatments with C02 laser and erbium
- Surgical procedures such as eyelifts, browlifts, rhinoplasty, facelifts, necklifts, and facial implants
Make Sure To Follow The Recovery Instructions
Cosmetic Surgery Recovery Guidelines
- Ensure that you have prepared your mind and body for the recovery of your procedure(s) by creating a peaceful atmosphere in your home. You should always have a family member or a friend help you the first few days after surgical procedures.
- Get your prescription medications, if any, filled and ready for when you go home after surgery. Take medication consistently and on time. This is important in reducing the risks of complications that may occur from infections.
- Make sure to follow the specific recovery instructions given to you by your physician or aesthetician. Only clean your wounds once it is safe to do so; this is very specific to the type of procedure you had done. For example, after Ultherapy ultrasound laser treatments, you can continue to resume your normal facial cleansing routine. However, CO2 laser treatments injure the top layers of the epidermis, so it’s important to use only high concentrations of hydrating products to prevent the skin from flaking or becoming too dry, which can lead to other unwanted symptoms such as infections or scarring. In the case of surgery, quite often you will be required to go for a follow-up appointment where a registered nurse will clean the wounds for you and will give you further instructions on wound care. In general, it is best to use mild, hypoallergenic products like non-soap cleansers and fragrance-free moisturizers on your face after any cosmetic procedure because your skin is more vulnerable to irritation after your treatments.
- Sun protection! Sun protection should be a part of your daily routine, but in the case of cosmetic procedures, one should take extra precautions in applying and reapplying sun care products to avoid sun damage to the newly treated skin. Sun damage is your worst enemy when it comes to preserving your skin.
- Eat antioxidant-rich foods and drink plenty of water. Staying hydrated will help rejuvenate your skin from the inside out and flush any toxins from your system. A balanced, nutritious diet assists in the regeneration of cells, collagen, and other substructures in the face and body that all play a role in healing the skin after a cosmetic procedure.
The First Step Of Your Journey Begins With A Conversation
We'll Get Back to You Within 1 Business Day.
- 3 Holiday Facial Rejuvenation Ideas
- About Alyria Skincare
- About Dr. Torgerson.com Online Store Products
- Beauty Skincare Facials
- Benefits Of Chemical Peels
- Cosmetic Procedure Aftercare
- Does Skin Have a Mind of its Own?
- Gift Ideas For Him And For Her
- Glo Skin Beauty
- How Can You Tell if Your Facial Surgeon is Qualified?
- Micro Needling 101
- Non-Surgical Facelift
- Non-Surgical Facial Masculinization Procedures For Men
- Popular Male Non-Surgical Cosmetic Procedures
- Signs Of Sun-Damaged Skin
- SilkPeel Facial
- Skin-Brightening Options with Alyria Skin Care
- Sunscreen And Why We Need It
- Teoxane Skincare With Hyaluronic Acid
- The Dangerous Side Of Chronic Sun Exposure
- The Different Stages Of The Aging Face
- The Importance Of Exfoliation
- Weight Loss With GliSODin’s Advanced Slimming Formula
- What are Redensity l Skin Rejuvenation Injections?
- What is Acne?
- When Should Men Start Anti-Aging Treatments
- Why Facial Cosmetic Procedures Are on the Rise Among Young Women These Days
- Why You Need Vitamin C In Your Daily Skincare Routine
State-Of-The-Art Surgical Facility
Our facility offers a luxurious, comfortable and private setting for consultations and surgery with a waiting room that is both spacious and inviting. Although we hope you don’t have to spend too much time waiting to see Dr. Torgerson, within a few minutes you will feel relaxed and at ease.