Incontinence Treatment Using Fotona Laser Technology
Incontinence is a medical condition defined by the loss of voluntary control over urination or defecation processes.
It is a common health issue, with over 3.3 million Canadian men and women experiencing some form of incontinence in their lifetime. The condition itself is often a symptom related to health and structural changes in the body. For women, the most frequent cause of urinary incontinence is weakened pelvic floor muscles that support the bladder and urethra. These muscles may be damaged due to vaginal childbirth, trauma, menopause and/or aging, genetic birth defect, multiple sclerosis, Parkinson’s disease, and several types of cancers that require chemotherapy.
Recommended treatments can vary from behavioural therapy to surgery. However, recent advances in technology have revolutionized the way urinary incontinence is treated. Fotona has developed a non-invasive medical laser system called IncontiLase that uses a photothermal heating effect to bring patients better comfort, quicker results, and faster healing. Here at the Torgerson Clinic, the simple procedure lasts for only 15 minutes per session, and 2 sessions are usually recommended for optimal results. One of the best features of the IncontiLase technology is that patients are able to return to their daily routines almost immediately after. There is no downtime, discomfort, or scarring because the procedure is incision-free and pain-free. The Fotona laser system is most suitable for patients suffering from mild to moderate urinary incontinence.
During the treatment, a special small attachment is inserted into the vagina to treat the target the urethra tissue with quick, laser pulses. The emitted light creates a thermal effect that targets fibroblasts to stimulate new collagen and elastin.
This restores healthy urethral tissue through stimulation of collagen fibre synthesis to restructure the vestibule, urethral orifice, and vaginal walls. The end result of this procedure is increased vascularisation, improved muscle tone of the urethral tissue and vagina, as well as improved support to the urinary bladder and urethra. Strengthening these areas generates nearly instant improvements for most patients.
Approximately 94% of patients who have undergone non-invasive laser treatment for incontinence have reported significant reduction of urine leakage, maintained after 120 days post-treatment, and 64% of all patients have claimed to be cured of incontinence altogether. Currently, there are no reported adverse events in studies. Some patients say that they have felt some heat during the process but are otherwise comfortable.
This exciting new technology carries many benefits that were previously unavailable to patients. Due to its simplicity, the treatment does not require any pre- or post-operative precautions such as antibiotics or analgesics. The quick, painless treatment is completed in the privacy of our office, and you can immediately return to your daily activities. Patients notice very fast results within 2 treatment sessions and maintain their results over a long period of time.
To find out more about Fotona and their laser systems, please schedule an appointment with our experienced laser nurses. They will be more than happy to discuss the types of treatments that we offer at the Torgerson Clinic and how we can help you regain your optimal health.
The First Step Of Your Journey Begins With A Conversation
We'll Get Back to You Within 1 Business Day.
- Are You A Candidate for Laser Vaginal Rejuvenation?
- Choosing the Right Practitioner for Your Vaginal Rejuvenation Treatment
- Do Vaginal Laser Treatments Hurt?
- Have You Tried the New Non-Surgical Laser Solution for Treating Stress Urinary Incontinence?
- How Are the Most Popular Laser Vaginal Rejuvenation Treatments Different from One Another?
- How Menopause Affects the Female Body
- Incontinence Treatment Using Fotona Laser Technology
- Laser Vaginal Rejuvenation: What Is It and How Does it Work?
- Reasons to Consider Vaginal Rejuvenation Therapy
- Surgical and Non-Surgical Options for Your Vaginal Rejuvenation Treatment
- The Effects of Vaginal Childbirth
- Treatment Options for Stress Urinary Incontinence
- Using Laser Treatments for Vaginal Tightening Without Surgery
- Using Laser Treatments To Relieve Vaginal Dryness
- Vaginal Dryness: Symptoms, Causes, and Remedies
- Vaginal Rejuvenation With Laser and Without Laser
- What Are the Benefits of the Fotona Laser in Gynecology?
- What’s the Difference Between the IntimaLase Procedure and the IncontiLase Procedure?
- Who Are Ideal Candidates for Laser Vaginal Rejuvenation Treatments?
State-Of-The-Art Surgical Facility
Our facility offers a luxurious, comfortable and private setting for consultations and surgery with a waiting room that is both spacious and inviting. Although we hope you don’t have to spend too much time waiting to see Dr. Torgerson, within a few minutes you will feel relaxed and at ease.