Nasal Implant FAQ
Rhinoplasty is one of the most popular facial surgery procedures at Dr.Torgerson’s Facial Cosmetic Clinic.
It is critical for patients to be aware of the various types of options available to them with a rhinoplasty procedure. Every person has a different nose and individual requirements. Beauty is a paradigm that is usually relevant to balance, harmony, and symmetry. To achieve beauty, Dr. Torgerson uses various advanced techniques to accomplish the desired enhancements that the patient is looking to achieve.
One of the common techniques employed in nose surgery is the nasal implant. Nasal implants are often incorporated in rhinoplasty procedures to help build and reinforce the nasal structures that require more support in the foundation of the nose. Most nasal implants are custom-sculpted to perfectly fit into each patient’s unique characteristics of their nose. Below we discuss some of the common frequently asked questions by patients when it comes to nasal implants.
What Is a Nasal Implant?
A nasal implant is either made with a synthetic biocompatible material or a biological material harvested from the patient’s body. Nasal implants are meticulously monitored for safety and processed for approval by Health Canada and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to use in rhinoplasty surgery.
Some of the common synthetic implants available include:
– Medpor silicone
Common biologically derived implants include:
– Rib cartilage
– Temporalis fascia
– Ear cartilage
– Septal cartilage
Which Type of Implant Is Better?
When it comes to nasal implants, there is no one better implant. The type of implant used is heavily based on the patient’s anatomical structures in the nose, the extent of the changes required, and the patient’s medical history. Each of these variables is considered when choosing the right type of implant for each patient’s procedure. Some implants yield higher infection rates, while others produce better results but can be more technically challenging if reversal is required. The right implant is a discussion that each patient must discuss with their plastic surgeon. The surgeon can weigh the pros and cons for their particular surgery.
What Are the Risks with Nasal Implants?
The potential risks of nasal implants, whether synthetic, cartilage, or fascia, include:
– Undesirable results
– Loss of graft or portion of graft
Natural or synthetic implant?
When you use implants from your own body’s natural tissue and cartilage, your risk of infection is significantly reduced in comparison to an artificial implant. Natural donor tissue and cartilage implants are readily accepted by your body and can produce more natural-looking results. On the other hand, some synthetic implants provide the best structural support needed to modify the nose. The patient’s ethnic background plays a role in the type of implant required as well as the engagement of advanced surgical techniques. The potential risks with nasal implants are to be discussed in detail with your plastic surgeon. Every case is unique to each person’s natural shape of the nose.
Who Is an Ideal Candidate?
Patients who require some level of increased height or shape to their nose will usually require an implant to provide the structural modifications needed. Nasal implant candidates can reduce their risks of complications by avoiding smoking and excessive amounts of alcohol. People with disorders or heart conditions will have to obtain medical documents from their general practitioner. The required medical documentation will be provided by your plastic surgeon. Thicker-skinned patients are more fitting for nasal implants, as the skin will provide excellent coverage of the implant in the nose. Some revision rhinoplasty candidates will require nasal implants to restore the areas that need correction.
*Disclaimer: Similar and/or permanent results are not guaranteed based on the treatment/procedure and may vary from patient to patient, based on multiple factors, including genetics and lifestyle of each patient.*
- 10 Questions to Ask Before a Rhinoplasty
- 3 Tips for Selecting the Best Rhinoplasty Approach with Your Toronto Surgeon
- 4 Steps You Can Take to Enhance Your Nose (3 Are Non-Surgical)
- African-American Rhinoplasty
- Alar Base Reduction Rhinoplasty
- Are You Curious About Rhinoplasty Recovery? These Tips Can Help It Go Smoothly
- Asian Rhinoplasty
- Do I Need A Rhinoplasty Or Non-Surgical Nose Job?
- Dr. Torgerson’s Rhinoplasty and Injectable Nose Job: A Side-by-Side Comparison
- Ethnic Rhinoplasty
- Everything You Need To Know About Non-Surgical Rhinoplasty (Nose Job)
- Facial Cosmetic Surgery and the Broken Nose
- Finesse Rhinoplasty
- Five Interesting Facts About Rhinoplasty
- History of Rhinoplasty
- How Do I Prepare for a Nose Surgery Procedure?
- How Long Does Rhinoplasty Surgery Take?
- How Often Can You Get Plastic Surgery?
- How Old Do You Have To Be To Get A Nose Job?
- How to Choose a Rhinoplasty Surgeon
- How To Prepare For Rhinoplasty Consultation
- Learn Why Nose Reshaping Without Surgery in Toronto Is So Tempting
- Myths About Rhinoplasty
- Nasal Implant FAQ
- Nose Job Alternatives: What Can You Do Instead Of Rhinoplasty
- Nose Job Reviews and Rhinoplasty Reviews Might Not Tell You These 7 Essential Things
- Nose Reshaping Before & After Photos on Smartphones: Can You Trust?
- Nose Surgery Before and After
- Nose Surgery Cost
- Nose Surgery Overview
- Nose Surgery Toronto
- Planning a Rhinoplasty? 3 Must-Know Factors That Affect Results
- Post-Rhinoplasty Healing Timeline
- Recovery from Rhinoplasty – Day 1 to One Year
- Rhinoplasty - Surgeon’s Tips for Best Results
- Rhinoplasty - What’s The Best Time To Meet With a Surgeon?
- Rhinoplasty Before and After
- Rhinoplasty Cost In Toronto
- Rhinoplasty Do’s and Don’ts
- Rhinoplasty Questions and Answers
- Rhinoplasty Surgeons in Toronto Share the Best Tips to Get You Ready for a Nose Job
- Rhinoplasty, Social Media, and DIY — Where Are We Headed?
- Saddle Nose Deformity
- Septoplasty and Rhinoplasty: What Is The Difference?
- Septoplasty Functional Rhinoplasty : Toronto
- Surgical Facial Masculinization Procedures For Men
- Things to Consider Before a Rhinoplasty
- Toronto Surgeons Recommend Mentally Preparing for Best Rhinoplasty Results
- Using Implants in Rhinoplasty
- What is a Rhinoplasty?
- What is Involved in Rhinoplasty Surgery?
- What is the Cost of a Rhinoplasty?
- What Is The Healing Process After Nose Surgery?
- What To Expect On The Day of Rhinoplasty Surgery
- What Will Your Rhinoplasty Cost Be? It Depends on These 3 Things
- What You Should Know About Revision Rhinoplasty
- When to Consider Nose Surgery: Pros & Cons
- Why Is Rhinoplasty One Of The Hardest Procedures?
State-Of-The-Art Surgical Facility
Our facility offers a luxurious, comfortable and private setting for consultations and surgery with a waiting room that is both spacious and inviting. Although we hope you don’t have to spend too much time waiting to see Dr. Torgerson, within a few minutes you will feel relaxed and at ease.