Recovery from Rhinoplasty – Day 1 to One Year
The facial plastic surgery known as a rhinoplasty is an operation conducted on the nose to alter its size or shape
Because the nose is comprised of fragile bones and very soft cartilage, it is a delicate operation that requires a longer length of time to heal. A complete understanding of the healing process and what to expect will help prepare any rhinoplasty candidate. Immediately following surgery, Dr. Cory Torgerson places a cast and packing on the nose. The cast acts like a splint and protects the area from being bumped or from shifting. Tape is used to apply gentle pressure on the cast and is effective in reducing swelling and keeping the cast intact. The patient will wear the cast for one week before it is removed.
There are many factors that determine the amount of swelling and bruising
First Week After Rhinoplasty
Swelling, bruising, and slight blood loss are normal during the initial week. Dr. Torgerson advises his patients to sleep in an elevated position with their head higher than their heart, as this minimizes the swelling significantly. The amount of bruising experienced depends on the surgical technique used and the patient themselves. Dr. Torgerson normally prefers to use the closed method of surgery, where the incision is made under the nose. This enables him to achieve more satisfactory results and greatly reduces the amount of swelling his patients might experience. If nasal bones need to be broken in order to achieve the desired result, there will be more bruising. Often this results in black eyes. There are many factors that determine the amount of swelling and bruising, such as blood disorders, age, skin thickness, medications that thin the blood, and basic general health.
With the use of pain medication, a person should be able to sleep and eat normally after the first day. Ice packs applied to the cheeks in the first 48 hours help reduce swelling. Rhinoplasty patients experience stiffness in their upper lip and may find it difficult to smile during the first few weeks.
The majority of the healing takes place in the first 3 months following a rhinoplasty
3 Month – 1 Year Healing Process
After the cast is removed, patients should not yet expect to have the nose they chose in their consultation with Dr. Torgerson. It is perfectly normal for the area to still be swollen. By the end of the second week, the bruising and swelling will have subsided significantly, and the patient should feel comfortable appearing in public without being conspicuous. As the healing process continues and the swelling reduces, the appearance of the nose will alter and settle. It is important to realize that the nose will look puffy to the patient for 3 to 4 months post-operation, but normal to everyone else.
The majority of the healing takes place in the first 3 months following a rhinoplasty. Depending on how much the tip of the nose has been altered, it can take up to one year to achieve complete healing. This should not discourage any potential candidate, as this is often only noticeable to the surgeon who completed the surgical procedure and possibly to the patient.
- 10 Questions to Ask Before a Rhinoplasty
- 3 Tips for Selecting the Best Rhinoplasty Approach with Your Toronto Surgeon
- 4 Steps You Can Take to Enhance Your Nose (3 Are Non-Surgical)
- African-American Rhinoplasty
- Alar Base Reduction Rhinoplasty
- Are You Curious About Rhinoplasty Recovery? These Tips Can Help It Go Smoothly
- Asian Rhinoplasty
- Do I Need A Rhinoplasty Or Non-Surgical Nose Job?
- Dr. Torgerson’s Rhinoplasty and Injectable Nose Job: A Side-by-Side Comparison
- Ethnic Rhinoplasty
- Everything You Need To Know About Non-Surgical Rhinoplasty (Nose Job)
- Facial Cosmetic Surgery and the Broken Nose
- Finesse Rhinoplasty
- Five Interesting Facts About Rhinoplasty
- History of Rhinoplasty
- How Do I Prepare for a Nose Surgery Procedure?
- How Long Does Rhinoplasty Surgery Take?
- How Often Can You Get Plastic Surgery?
- How Old Do You Have To Be To Get A Nose Job?
- How to Choose a Rhinoplasty Surgeon
- How To Prepare For Rhinoplasty Consultation
- Learn Why Nose Reshaping Without Surgery in Toronto Is So Tempting
- Myths About Rhinoplasty
- Nasal Implant FAQ
- Nose Job Alternatives: What Can You Do Instead Of Rhinoplasty
- Nose Job Reviews and Rhinoplasty Reviews Might Not Tell You These 7 Essential Things
- Nose Reshaping Before & After Photos on Smartphones: Can You Trust?
- Nose Surgery Before and After
- Nose Surgery Cost
- Nose Surgery Overview
- Nose Surgery Toronto
- Planning a Rhinoplasty? 3 Must-Know Factors That Affect Results
- Post-Rhinoplasty Healing Timeline
- Recovery from Rhinoplasty – Day 1 to One Year
- Rhinoplasty - Surgeon’s Tips for Best Results
- Rhinoplasty - What’s The Best Time To Meet With a Surgeon?
- Rhinoplasty Before and After
- Rhinoplasty Cost In Toronto
- Rhinoplasty Do’s and Don’ts
- Rhinoplasty Questions and Answers
- Rhinoplasty Surgeons in Toronto Share the Best Tips to Get You Ready for a Nose Job
- Rhinoplasty, Social Media, and DIY — Where Are We Headed?
- Saddle Nose Deformity
- Septoplasty and Rhinoplasty: What Is The Difference?
- Septoplasty Functional Rhinoplasty : Toronto
- Surgical Facial Masculinization Procedures For Men
- Things to Consider Before a Rhinoplasty
- Toronto Surgeons Recommend Mentally Preparing for Best Rhinoplasty Results
- Using Implants in Rhinoplasty
- What is a Rhinoplasty?
- What is Involved in Rhinoplasty Surgery?
- What is the Cost of a Rhinoplasty?
- What Is The Healing Process After Nose Surgery?
- What To Expect On The Day of Rhinoplasty Surgery
- What Will Your Rhinoplasty Cost Be? It Depends on These 3 Things
- What You Should Know About Revision Rhinoplasty
- When to Consider Nose Surgery: Pros & Cons
- Why Is Rhinoplasty One Of The Hardest Procedures?
State-Of-The-Art Surgical Facility
Our facility offers a luxurious, comfortable and private setting for consultations and surgery with a waiting room that is both spacious and inviting. Although we hope you don’t have to spend too much time waiting to see Dr. Torgerson, within a few minutes you will feel relaxed and at ease.