When to Consider Nose Surgery: Pros & Cons
People choose rhinoplasty surgery for a variety of reasons ranging from the medical to the aesthetic
Below are just a few reasons that might factor into the decision to have a nose job:
- Breathing problems
- Low self-esteem due to the size, shape, or symmetry of the nose
- If there is a bump on the bridge of the nose or the tip is drooping
- Some patients may feel their nose is too big, too wide, or too high
- The nose is not proportionally equal with the rest of the face
As with any type of cosmetic surgery, there are both pros and cons
Pros and Cons
By doing a bit of homework, however, and having realistic expectations, the benefits often outweigh the drawbacks.
- Better self-esteem – a more aesthetically pleasing and symmetrical appearance can make you feel better about yourself
- Correction of defects, such as deformity or a deviated septum
- Better health – breathing easier, sleeping easier, less sinus infections
- Discomfort from surgery
- Post-op care needs special attention
- No assurances that it will be exactly what you want or look better than before
Rhinoplasty surgery, like any other surgery, has some risks. Before you have the surgery done, it is important to make sure your doctor knows all the medications and supplements that you are taking as well as any allergies you may have to medications or things like latex, etc. It important that you and your doctor go over all this information. Discuss what you want to have done and what you expect to get out of the procedure. This will give your surgeon a good idea of how they will be able to help you.
Will I get the nose I want with just one surgery?
This question is difficult to answer, as there are many factors involved. If the purpose of the surgery is to fix a defect only, one surgery may be all you need. If you are getting a defect repaired for better breathing as well as to change the appearance of your nose, then you may need more than one surgery. At the time of your consultation, your surgeon will examine your nose to determine what needs to be done to help you get your desired results.
Finding the right doctor
Finding the right doctor for you can be difficult. Here are some tips to help you find the right doctor:
- Ask for referrals from your family doctor or from your family and friends.
- Look for someone who has experience in doing the procedure you wish to have performed.
- When you have your consultation with your doctor, ask to see a portfolio of before and after pictures of previous patients.
- Ask for recent patients’ references or testimonials.
How long will the results last?
The results of rhinoplasty are long lasting, and for that reason you need to be sure exactly what you want before you have the procedure performed. Be sure to follow up with your surgeon after the surgery at set intervals and follow his post-op care instructions to the letter.
If you need help or have more questions about rhinoplasty, contact our office and schedule your consultation with Dr. Torgerson today.
- 10 Questions to Ask Before a Rhinoplasty
- 3 Tips for Selecting the Best Rhinoplasty Approach with Your Toronto Surgeon
- 4 Steps You Can Take to Enhance Your Nose (3 Are Non-Surgical)
- African-American Rhinoplasty
- Alar Base Reduction Rhinoplasty
- Are You Curious About Rhinoplasty Recovery? These Tips Can Help It Go Smoothly
- Asian Rhinoplasty
- Do I Need A Rhinoplasty Or Non-Surgical Nose Job?
- Dr. Torgerson’s Rhinoplasty and Injectable Nose Job: A Side-by-Side Comparison
- Ethnic Rhinoplasty
- Everything You Need To Know About Non-Surgical Rhinoplasty (Nose Job)
- Facial Cosmetic Surgery and the Broken Nose
- Finesse Rhinoplasty
- Five Interesting Facts About Rhinoplasty
- History of Rhinoplasty
- How Do I Prepare for a Nose Surgery Procedure?
- How Long Does Rhinoplasty Surgery Take?
- How Often Can You Get Plastic Surgery?
- How Old Do You Have To Be To Get A Nose Job?
- How to Choose a Rhinoplasty Surgeon
- How To Prepare For Rhinoplasty Consultation
- Learn Why Nose Reshaping Without Surgery in Toronto Is So Tempting
- Myths About Rhinoplasty
- Nasal Implant FAQ
- Nose Job Alternatives: What Can You Do Instead Of Rhinoplasty
- Nose Job Reviews and Rhinoplasty Reviews Might Not Tell You These 7 Essential Things
- Nose Reshaping Before & After Photos on Smartphones: Can You Trust?
- Nose Surgery Before and After
- Nose Surgery Cost
- Nose Surgery Overview
- Nose Surgery Toronto
- Planning a Rhinoplasty? 3 Must-Know Factors That Affect Results
- Post-Rhinoplasty Healing Timeline
- Recovery from Rhinoplasty – Day 1 to One Year
- Rhinoplasty - Surgeon’s Tips for Best Results
- Rhinoplasty - What’s The Best Time To Meet With a Surgeon?
- Rhinoplasty Before and After
- Rhinoplasty Cost In Toronto
- Rhinoplasty Do’s and Don’ts
- Rhinoplasty Questions and Answers
- Rhinoplasty Surgeons in Toronto Share the Best Tips to Get You Ready for a Nose Job
- Rhinoplasty, Social Media, and DIY — Where Are We Headed?
- Saddle Nose Deformity
- Septoplasty and Rhinoplasty: What Is The Difference?
- Septoplasty Functional Rhinoplasty : Toronto
- Surgical Facial Masculinization Procedures For Men
- Things to Consider Before a Rhinoplasty
- Toronto Surgeons Recommend Mentally Preparing for Best Rhinoplasty Results
- Using Implants in Rhinoplasty
- What is a Rhinoplasty?
- What is Involved in Rhinoplasty Surgery?
- What is the Cost of a Rhinoplasty?
- What Is The Healing Process After Nose Surgery?
- What To Expect On The Day of Rhinoplasty Surgery
- What Will Your Rhinoplasty Cost Be? It Depends on These 3 Things
- What You Should Know About Revision Rhinoplasty
- When to Consider Nose Surgery: Pros & Cons
- Why Is Rhinoplasty One Of The Hardest Procedures?
State-Of-The-Art Surgical Facility
Our facility offers a luxurious, comfortable and private setting for consultations and surgery with a waiting room that is both spacious and inviting. Although we hope you don’t have to spend too much time waiting to see Dr. Torgerson, within a few minutes you will feel relaxed and at ease.