Five Interesting Facts About Rhinoplasty
Rhinoplasty (nose job) is cosmetic (plastic) surgery
While most people have heard of it or even know someone who has had it done, there are a few things that the majority of people do not know about rhinoplasty or may have never even thought about. Here are five interesting facts about rhinoplasty that you may not know:
Rhinoplasty is older than you think
Rhinoplasty was performed for the first time about 2,500 years ago. Yes, that’s right – 2,500 years ago! The techniques used then were similar to the techniques used today. A medical book from India explains those techniques and how they were used to repair noses that were damaged or cut off in battle.
The discovery of that book and the procedures written in it brought rhinoplasty to England in the 18th century. The surgery would become a popular procedure throughout the cosmetic industry, especially for the stars of Hollywood.
One of the most common forms of cosmetic surgery today is rhinoplasty
In 2007 alone, there were 12 million cosmetic surgeries done. The top 5 of those were rhinoplasty, breast augmentation, liposuction, eyelid surgery, and abdominoplasty. Those procedures have always been at the top of the list, but the order in which they rank changes often.
Cartilage and skin from other parts of the body are often used
Cartilage and skin from other parts of the body is used, when needed, to make the nose longer or to reconstruct a nose that has been damaged. Cartilage can be taken from the ear or rib area, and skin is commonly taken from the forehead.
Why it’s called “plastic surgery” when it doesn’t use plastic
The term was used before modern plastic was even invented. It actually comes from the Latin word “plasticus” and the Greek word “plastikos”, meaning to mold or shape or relating to molding or shaping.
Today when people hear the words “plastic surgery”, they might automatically think of modern plastics formed as a prosthetic. While there are some times when plastic might be used for various types of implants, etc., generally cartilage is used for rhinoplasty.
While rhinoplasty is in the group of cosmetic surgeries, it isn’t always just for cosmetic reasons
Rhinoplasty is also used to repair noses that have been damaged by cancer, birth defects, or accidents. The surgery can also be used to correct medical issues, such as a deviated septum, which can cause breathing difficulties for the patient.
While many people will think that rhinoplasty is just for looks, there are other reasons that will require repair and reshaping of the nose. So while sometimes it is done for cosmetic reasons to improve appearance and boost self-confidence, there are a number of medical reasons for the procedure as well.
Most cosmetic procedures performed today have rich and interesting histories. We hope that by sharing these facts about rhinoplasty, you will be able to think about this procedure in a new way.
- 10 Questions to Ask Before a Rhinoplasty
- 3 Tips for Selecting the Best Rhinoplasty Approach with Your Toronto Surgeon
- 4 Steps You Can Take to Enhance Your Nose (3 Are Non-Surgical)
- African-American Rhinoplasty
- Alar Base Reduction Rhinoplasty
- Are You Curious About Rhinoplasty Recovery? These Tips Can Help It Go Smoothly
- Asian Rhinoplasty
- Do I Need A Rhinoplasty Or Non-Surgical Nose Job?
- Dr. Torgerson’s Rhinoplasty and Injectable Nose Job: A Side-by-Side Comparison
- Ethnic Rhinoplasty
- Everything You Need To Know About Non-Surgical Rhinoplasty (Nose Job)
- Facial Cosmetic Surgery and the Broken Nose
- Finesse Rhinoplasty
- Five Interesting Facts About Rhinoplasty
- History of Rhinoplasty
- How Do I Prepare for a Nose Surgery Procedure?
- How Long Does Rhinoplasty Surgery Take?
- How Often Can You Get Plastic Surgery?
- How Old Do You Have To Be To Get A Nose Job?
- How to Choose a Rhinoplasty Surgeon
- How To Prepare For Rhinoplasty Consultation
- Learn Why Nose Reshaping Without Surgery in Toronto Is So Tempting
- Myths About Rhinoplasty
- Nasal Implant FAQ
- Nose Job Alternatives: What Can You Do Instead Of Rhinoplasty
- Nose Job Reviews and Rhinoplasty Reviews Might Not Tell You These 7 Essential Things
- Nose Reshaping Before & After Photos on Smartphones: Can You Trust?
- Nose Surgery Before and After
- Nose Surgery Cost
- Nose Surgery Overview
- Nose Surgery Toronto
- Planning a Rhinoplasty? 3 Must-Know Factors That Affect Results
- Post-Rhinoplasty Healing Timeline
- Recovery from Rhinoplasty – Day 1 to One Year
- Rhinoplasty - Surgeon’s Tips for Best Results
- Rhinoplasty - What’s The Best Time To Meet With a Surgeon?
- Rhinoplasty Before and After
- Rhinoplasty Cost In Toronto
- Rhinoplasty Do’s and Don’ts
- Rhinoplasty Questions and Answers
- Rhinoplasty Surgeons in Toronto Share the Best Tips to Get You Ready for a Nose Job
- Rhinoplasty, Social Media, and DIY — Where Are We Headed?
- Saddle Nose Deformity
- Septoplasty and Rhinoplasty: What Is The Difference?
- Septoplasty Functional Rhinoplasty : Toronto
- Surgical Facial Masculinization Procedures For Men
- Things to Consider Before a Rhinoplasty
- Toronto Surgeons Recommend Mentally Preparing for Best Rhinoplasty Results
- Using Implants in Rhinoplasty
- What is a Rhinoplasty?
- What is Involved in Rhinoplasty Surgery?
- What is the Cost of a Rhinoplasty?
- What Is The Healing Process After Nose Surgery?
- What To Expect On The Day of Rhinoplasty Surgery
- What Will Your Rhinoplasty Cost Be? It Depends on These 3 Things
- What You Should Know About Revision Rhinoplasty
- When to Consider Nose Surgery: Pros & Cons
- Why Is Rhinoplasty One Of The Hardest Procedures?
State-Of-The-Art Surgical Facility
Our facility offers a luxurious, comfortable and private setting for consultations and surgery with a waiting room that is both spacious and inviting. Although we hope you don’t have to spend too much time waiting to see Dr. Torgerson, within a few minutes you will feel relaxed and at ease.