Are You Curious About Rhinoplasty Recovery? These Tips Can Help It Go Smoothly
Understanding rhinoplasty recovery time can ensure that you have a smooth, stress-free experience. Nose surgery ranks among the top 5 most requested plastic surgery procedures and is popular with men and women of all ages. Because even the most subtle enhancements to a nose can dramatically improve a person’s appearance, the required downtime and restrictions are considered worth it.
Dr. Cory Torgerson’s rhinoplasty patients are given detailed information and help with planning so that they’re comfortable, relaxed, and worry-free while they recover at home. Your best advice will come from your own facial plastic surgeon, but the following gives general guidelines for an excellent rhinoplasty.
By definition, rhinoplasty describes a cosmetic surgical correction of the nose, but septoplasty for septum repair and other techniques can be done in conjunction to address deformities or breathing issues. Because of the many variations possible for these operations, recovery experiences and expectations will vary as well.
How long is recovery from rhinoplasty?
So, you’ve seen the rhinoplasty before and after photos and you’re hoping to get your new nose, then return to your usual routine looking fab right away? Unfortunately, the natural inflammatory process in your body will ensure that some substantial facial swelling and bruising lasts between 2 and 4 weeks in most cases. Patients can return to non-strenuous physical activity, school, and jobs within 2 weeks of facial surgery. However, depending on the techniques used and your body, it may take 4 to 6 weeks for most swelling to subside.
After your Rhinoplasty
Timeline for recovery
When your procedure is complete and you feel up to heading home, you’ll leave our clinic with a friend or family member who can help you out. You won’t be able to drive due to general anaesthetic, and you may feel a little nauseous. We’ll provide medication to help with that, and we recommend that you keep light snacks and water handy.
Patients report only mild or moderate discomfort, and in fact, they don’t usually describe the healing phase as painful. That’s the good news, but they do experience pressure in the nose and facial tissue along with congestion from blocked nasal passages. That can be annoying, but rest assured it’s temporary. If you have any packing in your nose, we’ll remove it shortly after surgery, and the inflammation will peak around day 3 to 5, then decrease. Most facial plastic surgeons in Toronto will schedule regular follow-up appointments for you after your procedure, starting with a next-day visit, then weekly, then monthly, until you have completely healed.
For the first 2 weeks, we advise patients to sleep with their head and shoulders elevated to limit swelling. You’ll also be encouraged to keep activity to a minimum and not bend over or lift anything substantial. Straining, picking up heavy objects, or keeping your head below the level of your heart could all increase swelling or discomfort. You might even cause unwanted bleeding, so it’s essential to follow instructions and plan to take it easy. This is an excellent time to catch up on your favourite movies, read, and relax.
In fact, it’s possible, depending on your skin and tissue characteristics, that you’ll wait up to 1 year to see the final refinement. This is particularly true for revision rhinoplasty cases. Take heart that you’re going to look fantastic within just a few short weeks of your procedure. But those long-term results? They take a while, and your surgeon will celebrate with you at the one-year mark when you’re finally ready for after photos.
The First Step Of Your Journey Begins With A Conversation
We'll Get Back to You Within 1 Business Day.
Dr. Cory Torgerson
Rhinoplasty Recovery Tips
- Follow all the instructions your surgeon provides.
- Don’t skip any post-op appointments.
- Contact your surgeon if you have concerns.
- Ask someone to help take care of you for a few days.
- Ask someone to take care of children and pets — you’re going to need the relief.
- Take more than enough time off of work.
- Don’t hesitate to take your prescribed medication, which reduces discomfort and swelling.
- Don’t take any pills, including supplements, without asking.
- Don’t blow your nose, bend over, or wear glasses until you get the all-clear.
- Walk around regularly — you’ll feel better.
- Drink lots of water and take medications with food as directed.
- Don’t drink alcohol until you are cleared to do so.
- Don’t smoke.
- Get lots of sleep.
- Remember to be patient.
The Clinic at Yorkville
Dr. Torgerson will be happy to meet with you and discuss your facial surgery procedure. He offers consultations with no obligation, giving you the opportunity you need to gather information and personalized feedback from a top rhinoplasty expert. We look forward to hearing from you.
- 10 Questions to Ask Before a Rhinoplasty
- 3 Tips for Selecting the Best Rhinoplasty Approach with Your Toronto Surgeon
- 4 Steps You Can Take to Enhance Your Nose (3 Are Non-Surgical)
- African-American Rhinoplasty
- Alar Base Reduction Rhinoplasty
- Are You Curious About Rhinoplasty Recovery? These Tips Can Help It Go Smoothly
- Asian Rhinoplasty
- Before a Toronto Nose-Reshaping Surgery Consultation, Read This (and Save Time)
- Do I Need A Rhinoplasty Or Non-Surgical Nose Job?
- Dr. Torgerson’s Rhinoplasty and Injectable Nose Job: A Side-by-Side Comparison
- Ethnic Rhinoplasty
- Everything You Need To Know About Non-Surgical Rhinoplasty (Nose Job)
- Facial Cosmetic Surgery and the Broken Nose
- Finesse Rhinoplasty
- Five Interesting Facts About Rhinoplasty
- For Toronto Rhinoplasty Results You Love, It’s Best to Have Realistic Expectations for Your Surgeon
- History of Rhinoplasty
- How Do I Prepare for a Nose Surgery Procedure?
- How Long Does Rhinoplasty Surgery Take?
- How Often Can You Get Plastic Surgery?
- How Old Do You Have To Be To Get A Nose Job?
- How to Choose a Rhinoplasty Surgeon
- Learn Why Nose Reshaping Without Surgery in Toronto Is So Tempting
- Myths About Rhinoplasty
- Nasal Implant FAQ
- Nose (Rhinoplasty) Surgery
- Nose Reshaping Before & After Photos on Smartphones: Can You Trust?
- Nose Reshaping Toronto: The Cosmetic Surgery That Fits Everyone
- Nose Surgery Before and After
- Nose Surgery Cost
- Nose Surgery Overview
- Nose Surgery Toronto
- Nose-Reshaping Surgery in Toronto: Why Is It Still in Demand (and What Alternative is Catching Up?)
- Planning a Rhinoplasty? 3 Must-Know Factors That Affect Results
- Post-Rhinoplasty Healing Timeline
- Recovery from Rhinoplasty – Day 1 to One Year
- Rhinoplasty Before and After
- Rhinoplasty Cost In Toronto
- Rhinoplasty Do’s and Don’ts
- Rhinoplasty Questions and Answers
- Rhinoplasty Surgeons - Toronto’s Best Facial Cosmetic Investment
- Rhinoplasty Surgeons in Toronto Share the Best Tips to Get You Ready for a Nose Job
- Rhinoplasty Toronto – Reviews Might Not Tell You These 7 Essential Things
- Rhinoplasty, Social Media, and DIY — Where Are We Headed?
- Saddle Nose Deformity
- Septoplasty and Rhinoplasty: What Is The Difference?
- Septoplasty Functional Rhinoplasty : Toronto
- Surgical Facial Masculinization Procedures For Men
- The Top Toronto Rhinoplasty Surgeon Guide for 2020
- Things to Consider Before a Rhinoplasty
- Toronto Nose Reshaping Success: How to Overcome 5 Obstacles
- Toronto Nose-Reshaping Surgery: What Can It Do for You?
- Toronto Rhinoplasty - Surgeon’s Tips for Best Results
- Toronto Rhinoplasty - What’s The Best Time To Meet With a Surgeon?
- Toronto Surgeons Recommend Mentally Preparing for Best Rhinoplasty Results
- Toronto’s Nose-Reshaping Secrets: Why It’s Getting Harder to Tell Who’s Had Nose Jobs
- Using Implants in Rhinoplasty
- What is a Rhinoplasty?
- What is Involved in Rhinoplasty Surgery?
- What is the Cost of a Rhinoplasty?
- What Is The Healing Process After Nose Surgery?
- What To Expect On The Day of Rhinoplasty Surgery
- What Will Your Rhinoplasty Cost Be? It Depends on These 3 Things
- What You Should Know About Revision Rhinoplasty
- When to Consider Nose Surgery: Pros & Cons
- Why Is Rhinoplasty One Of The Hardest Procedures?
State-Of-The-Art Surgical Facility
Our facility offers a luxurious, comfortable and private setting for consultations and surgery with a waiting room that is both spacious and inviting. Although we hope you don’t have to spend too much time waiting to see Dr. Torgerson, within a few minutes you will feel relaxed and at ease.