Septoplasty and Rhinoplasty: What Is The Difference?
While there are plenty of similarities between septoplasty and rhinoplasty, they serve two very different purposes
Both the septoplasty and rhinoplasty are performed by the same rhinoplasty surgeon, use the same type of anesthesia, and have similar recovery times. Patients have to wear a cast on their nose for 7 to 10 days and can expect some minor bruising and swelling as the nose heals. Generally, patients can return to their normal activities within 2 to 3 weeks of having either or both procedures.
Septoplasty is used to correct a deviated septum
Usually a patient’s insurance will pay for this procedure when it is deemed necessary for health reasons. If your deviated septum is causing breathing difficulties, continued chronic sinusitis, or other types of infections or if it will pose a risk to future medical treatment, septoplasty is usually recommended. These conditions must be diagnosed by a doctor before the procedure will be covered by health insurance.
The surgery is much like a rhinoplasty surgery. However, the only change made to the nose is to correct the septum. The shape and size of the nose remain the same. To fix the septum, septoplasty may require cartilage from another part of the body such as the ears or ribs, but the basic structure of the nose remains intact and unchanged.
Rhinoplasty involves making changes to the basic structure of the nose, including the length, width, etc. Many people choose to have
rhinoplasty surgery if they are unhappy with the size, shape, or symmetry of their nose. The procedure can also be used to restore a nose that has been damaged due to an accident or an illness such as cancer.
As with septoplasty, it is often necessary to graft in cartilage from another part of the body such as the ribs or ears. Skin grafts may also be taken, usually from the forehead.
As the two procedures are so similar and can be performed by the same surgeon, it is common for both procedures to be done at the same time
Rhinoplasty combined with septoplasty
A patient with a deviated septum, for example, may elect to have a bump on their nose removed or to have their nose reshaped to make it more symmetrical or proportionate with the rest of their facial features.
First steps toward rhinoplasty and/or septoplasty
If you are considering undergoing rhinoplasty, septoplasty, or both, the first step is to have a consultation with a qualified facial cosmetic surgeon. During your consultation, the surgeon will examine your nose, obtain your medical history and discuss your goals for the surgery to determine whether you are a good candidate.
The consultation is also an excellent opportunity for you to ask any questions you may have and to help you decide whether one or both of these procedures is right for you. It will also give you a good idea of what you can expect if you choose to undergo a rhinoplasty and/or septoplasty.
To schedule your consultation today, contact the office of Dr. Cory Torgerson.
The First Step Of Your Journey Begins With A Conversation
We'll Get Back to You Within 1 Business Day.
- 10 Questions to Ask Before a Rhinoplasty
- 3 Tips for Selecting the Best Rhinoplasty Approach with Your Toronto Surgeon
- 4 Steps You Can Take to Enhance Your Nose (3 Are Non-Surgical)
- African-American Rhinoplasty
- Alar Base Reduction Rhinoplasty
- Are You Curious About Rhinoplasty Recovery? These Tips Can Help It Go Smoothly
- Asian Rhinoplasty
- Before a Toronto Nose-Reshaping Surgery Consultation, Read This (and Save Time)
- Do I Need A Rhinoplasty Or Non-Surgical Nose Job?
- Dr. Torgerson’s Rhinoplasty and Injectable Nose Job: A Side-by-Side Comparison
- Ethnic Rhinoplasty
- Everything You Need To Know About Non-Surgical Rhinoplasty (Nose Job)
- Facial Cosmetic Surgery and the Broken Nose
- Finesse Rhinoplasty
- Five Interesting Facts About Rhinoplasty
- For Toronto Rhinoplasty Results You Love, It’s Best to Have Realistic Expectations for Your Surgeon
- History of Rhinoplasty
- How Do I Prepare for a Nose Surgery Procedure?
- How Long Does Rhinoplasty Surgery Take?
- How Often Can You Get Plastic Surgery?
- How Old Do You Have To Be To Get A Nose Job?
- How to Choose a Rhinoplasty Surgeon
- Learn Why Nose Reshaping Without Surgery in Toronto Is So Tempting
- Myths About Rhinoplasty
- Nasal Implant FAQ
- Nose (Rhinoplasty) Surgery
- Nose Reshaping Before & After Photos on Smartphones: Can You Trust?
- Nose Reshaping Toronto: The Cosmetic Surgery That Fits Everyone
- Nose Surgery Before and After
- Nose Surgery Cost
- Nose Surgery Overview
- Nose Surgery Toronto
- Nose-Reshaping Surgery in Toronto: Why Is It Still in Demand (and What Alternative is Catching Up?)
- Planning a Rhinoplasty? 3 Must-Know Factors That Affect Results
- Post-Rhinoplasty Healing Timeline
- Recovery from Rhinoplasty – Day 1 to One Year
- Rhinoplasty Before and After
- Rhinoplasty Cost In Toronto
- Rhinoplasty Do’s and Don’ts
- Rhinoplasty Questions and Answers
- Rhinoplasty Surgeons - Toronto’s Best Facial Cosmetic Investment
- Rhinoplasty Surgeons in Toronto Share the Best Tips to Get You Ready for a Nose Job
- Rhinoplasty Toronto – Reviews Might Not Tell You These 7 Essential Things
- Rhinoplasty, Social Media, and DIY — Where Are We Headed?
- Saddle Nose Deformity
- Septoplasty and Rhinoplasty: What Is The Difference?
- Septoplasty Functional Rhinoplasty : Toronto
- Surgical Facial Masculinization Procedures For Men
- The Top Toronto Rhinoplasty Surgeon Guide for 2020
- Things to Consider Before a Rhinoplasty
- Toronto Nose Reshaping Success: How to Overcome 5 Obstacles
- Toronto Nose-Reshaping Surgery: What Can It Do for You?
- Toronto Rhinoplasty - Surgeon’s Tips for Best Results
- Toronto Rhinoplasty - What’s The Best Time To Meet With a Surgeon?
- Toronto Surgeons Recommend Mentally Preparing for Best Rhinoplasty Results
- Toronto’s Nose-Reshaping Secrets: Why It’s Getting Harder to Tell Who’s Had Nose Jobs
- Using Implants in Rhinoplasty
- What is a Rhinoplasty?
- What is Involved in Rhinoplasty Surgery?
- What is the Cost of a Rhinoplasty?
- What Is The Healing Process After Nose Surgery?
- What To Expect On The Day of Rhinoplasty Surgery
- What Will Your Rhinoplasty Cost Be? It Depends on These 3 Things
- What You Should Know About Revision Rhinoplasty
- When to Consider Nose Surgery: Pros & Cons
- Why Is Rhinoplasty One Of The Hardest Procedures?